Cherry Cornwall Adventure

st. patrick

for those of you who may have forgotten, jorjen re-did a pair of CW's in cherry wood and posted the project photo's here on the forum; then he came across a set of khorns, which he has now done in rosewood--and they are gorgeous, so he reluctantly decided to part with the cherry CW's...........thus the start of my "most excellent adventure" this past weekend.

I actually did the deal with jorjen several months ago but had scheduling problems, family obligations (all good), work, etc. etc. etc. which kept getting in the way...................jorjen was most understanding all the way through, and i thank him for that!

Saturday morning, having recovered from my wife's "...are they that big" (that you need to borrow my suburban) question, coupled with her "...why don't you get some of those small Bose things..", (editorial comment: the recovery was assisted by medicinal application of some red wine), i started the trek from the santa barbara suburbs to central california. The trip there was approx 5 hours, and would have been longer if the Calif Highway Patrol had been out in force......... I had the delightful pleasure of spending the afternoon with a very gracious host, enjoyed meeting his lovely wife and dynamite young son...........but most of all really enjoyed getting to put a face and personality to the name and avatar. I know many here have corresponded with jorjen, emailed, spoken over the telephone, etc, so you won't be surprised to hear that in real life he truly is a very nice guy. He is the type we all wish we had as our next door neighbor, good buddy to go to lunch with, see a ball game, family picnics......you name it, you would enjoy having him there! This was the first forum member that i actually got to meet face-to-face, and it was sort of neat (as we said when were kids). I should also comment that many here on the forum have been kind to me, responded to questions, offered guidance, accepted my teasing, etc, and i appreciate that as well.....but this about jorjen and the cherry CW's, not me.

got to see the beautiful rosewood khorns---did i mention they are beautiful?? The most impressive thing is the CRAFTSMANSHIP, the sheer attention to detail that this gentleman has put into these speakers. The photos make them look pretty damn good, but man-o-man, you should see them in person!! I will give him a standing offer to buy them, at his price, anytime he wants. (Maybe i should send him a few cases of wine for Christmas, and then when his defenses are down, suddenly drop by with $$ in hand.) His work is that good!

Sadly, evening came and 'twas time to head home. We had no sooner loaded the cw's and my cell rang, with my wife wondering if i would be home soon? When i indicated i just about ready to leave, she asked what i had been doing or talking about..." all that time"....well, you name it, and if it related to family , the forum , Klipsch or equipment, we probably covered it! What an enjoyable day!! Ken, thanks again.

Highway 99 and hwy 41 ain't the greatest, especially at night, but shortly before midnight i rolled into the driveway, futzed around abit and climbed into bed..........Sunday the sun rises, and apparently it was a race to see if the sun or my wife would be up first.....while i tried to pretend it was still dark under the pillow. When i asked my better half if she peeked thru the windows on the suburban on her way out to get the paper (oh yeah, don't interrupt her before she finishes the crossword puzzle), i kinda got a grunt...but a neutral sounding grunt............which i interpreted as meaning she wasn't necessarily happy about these things that were going to be living in "her " living room, but sort of sounded resigned to it..............probably would have had a much stronger reaction if i tried bringing a blonde home like my brother did during his mid-life crisis..but i digress.

had my son help me carry them in carefully, very carefully....and hooked them up to the luxman LV105 (integrated, but with a tube front end) and started slowly but excitedly.

first, nat king cole--ya just gotta love that smooth voice. then move to allison krause and union station, and finally jethro tull/aqualung (but at low volume, so as not to push my luck with swmbo on day one-------but i did sneak home at lunch today and it sounds even better with a little "punch" added in.

impressions: ken said the alk's still need to break in abit more, but they sound fantastic to me already, so if this gets better...boy, oh boy. I feel like a kid again with a new set up. The luxman never sounded as good as it does now. the music is smooth and effortless ( a term i frequently read and said to myself "wtf are they talking about?", but now that i heard it, IT FITS.

Ken, again i thank you for a great day. I compliment you on your fine craftsmanship. I will but those rosewood khorns whenever you go insane enough to sell them. My hat is off to you!(Actually my hat is ON due to you as well!)

thanks for letting me share this with all of you. If i sound excited, keep in mind that this was not only my first pair of CW's ( after bidding on numerous others, but getting straightened out by sheltiedave and deang), but this was also my first "internet date" hehehe

restoreCW10.jpg

Congrats, Patrick, on safely delivering one of THE finest pair of Cornwalls ever restored to their new home. Your wife has got to fall in love with 'em, they're that beautiful!13.gif

If you get the chance, please consider posting pictures of your "new" Cornwalls in their final location...I'm sure I'm not the only Cornwall owner who'd like to see 'em in all their glory with your system!

Thanks for sharing your adventure with us.2.gif

post-11084-13819259365958_thumb.jpg

Patrick,

Geez, I'm gettin' all misty eyed here, great story. You are without a doubt one of the good guys. We really enjoyed your visit and hope to do it again soon. Oh yes, and John thinks you are pretty special as well.

I cannot believe how the time flew. We felt for you setting out on a 5.5 hour return trip at that hour.

I am sooo glad you Love the Cornwall's, I knew you would just as I know they will have a wonderful home. As you know, this was also my first face to face with a forum member. I thought it was "neat" too. I do feel badly about not having anything to power the Khorns with so you could have heard them. That will NOT be the case next time I assure you. As you can imagine, they are nothing short of magnificent. As soon as the VRD's get here, they will be rockin' with those beauties and the Blueberry. Oh, and by the way, my Scoutmaster will be here Friday(wooohooo!)and as I said I will shoot you pictures and keep you updated. I will start a thread here too with pics, etc. That has got to be one badazz turntable.

Well Patrick, take care my friend and what a GREAT place this forum of ours eh?1.gif.

Mr. Patrick,

Welcome to the Klipsch Forum and lovers of the Mighty Cornwall system, of which you own one of the lovelier pairs, I must say! Wonderful remodel job on those Jorjen! I enjoyed and admired your detailed postings with regards to the veneer project.

Patrick, I could only have hoped to enjoy your journey into the Klipsch Kingdom only about a tenth as you and your soujourn, but thanks for your detailed treatise into your bringing the 'babies' home. We share your joy. Take care of them, they will serve you well! Enjoy and cheers!

Michael