2004 Klipsch Experiences

sire

Checking to see how 2004 affected everyone's Klipsch experience. Did you find the holy grail or did you decide your finished theater was not really finished after all?

After moving RS-3s here and there and thinking about SACD I decided to forget them and go to a more direct speaker. Many hours of reading at these forums I decided to go another route.

I closeted my 3 rb-5s and RS3s and held my breath while a set of OO Forte IIs from Ebay traveled to my house. One riser was a casualty but another board member saved the day for me. Then ,of course, I had to do the phantom center for awhile. Was not bad actually but luck was with me and I found an Academy. Was the going price at the time. Then I found another, which probably was not lucky as I now have two and need three. I thought I was over the Academy quest.

All in all I have spent around $1700 this year in changing my theater. I do not have the room to go anything larger than Chorus so I am guessing next year will be improving electronics. Though I still need to find another Academy . 8.gif

I still wonder about a set of Chorus IIs though. 2.gif

Mike

----------------

On 11/27/2004 11:34:20 PM lipinski wrote:

You had 3,850 posts before you bought your first pair of klipsch?

oh my God!!!

huh?

you gotta be kiddn me.
----------------

Well, I have no life, if that makes any more sense to you 9.gif

I have always liked Klipsch, but didn't (still don't really 2.gif ) have the money to buy the stuff I really wanted, so I just hung out and learned about audio and home theater. However, fate and a great forum member enabled me to get a pair of Chorus II's for $100/pr. (including tax!!!) and now I am a Klipsch owner - and own really good ones! Next move will probably be a small Synergy system for my room - something to take with me when I move so I can always have good sound.

----------------

On 11/27/2004 9:50:14 PM sire wrote:

Checking to see how 2004 affected everyone's Klipsch experience. Did you find the holy grail or did you decide your finished theater was not really finished after all?

----------------

I have not made a single change to my system all year. Not since I've added that B&K amp last November. I've been pretty happy with what I got, at least for speakers and amp. Eventually, I'll get a dedicated pre/pro to replace the Denon AVR3802 that I am currently using. I would also eventually like to get an SACD/DVD-Audio player (will probably get a fairly cheap one for now, such as that Samsung HD-841 - that'll have to wait till after x-mas).

The only thing I've "added" was more CDs and DVDs to play on the system. Also thrown in a PS/2 game (Star Ocean) for good measure. What I spent on CDs and DVD all year, I've could've easily added a whole new component. The big kicker was all those Star Trek DVD's. The entire 7 seasons of Deep Space 9 costed me nearly $1,000. Then add the first 4 seasons of Voyager and the first season of the Original Series, thus far, that is nearly $600 (going to get the rest of them after x-mas - season 5 of Voyager is out now). So, just for Star Trek DVD's alone, I've spent nearly $1,600. I know I've easily spent several more hundred dollars for CDs and a couple video games. I am guessing I've spent a good $2,000 just on CDs and DVDs. Can buy a pretty damn nice component for that! Oh well, once I get the rest of the Star Trek DVD's, it'll be very unlikely I'll spend that much on DVD's anytime in the near future.

"04" was a big year for me as far as HT is concerned. I went from a Yamaha DSP-A1000 to a McCormack MAP-1 preamp with a B&K 200.5 amp to go with it. I had intended to also get either a Klipsch RSW-15 or an SVS PC-Ultra. Just can't make up my mind. A little too close to Xmas now, my decision will have to wait for "05".

Good one Scooter!

As for me, NEW Yamaha RXV2400 for main system, which by year end will be 2x Corns, RC7, KSB12 sub, and RB5x4 surrounds(new).

Which puts RXV850 (pro-logic only) in basement with 27" tv and 4xKSB1 and KSC-C1 which have been in closet, new waiting for this home for two years now. (does that count as 2004 new units). Plus 2xKSB-1 for bar area.

That leaves old main surrounds RB3II natural maple for a bedroom I guess.

No grail, that'll be the vertical corn for center, but lots of upgrades and changes. Buying a new home will do that for ya.

Michael

04' was a very good (Klipsch)year HT wise for me...9.gif

** Started with a 6.0 HT using KG 3.5's all around and courtesy of a forum member was able to purchase 5 KLF-30's to replace the KG's.

** Added a SVS PC-Ultra subwoofer to the HT.

** Changed my entry level Pioneer receiver to a Yamaha RX-V3000.

Things have never sounded better, so onto my wish list for '05...3.gif

** 3 - KLF-C7's...2 for front effects, 1 for rear center surround.

** New DeanG crossovers for the KLF-30's and C7's (once I have the C7's).

That is all...at least until I have more time to think about it...2.gif

Happy Holidays to all on this forum...

** 3 - KLF-C7's...2 for front effects, 1 for rear center surround.

** New DeanG crossovers for the KLF-30's and C7's (once I have the C7's).

2 C-7's? wow that's crazy, but if you've already got a KLF-30 up there I guess it's not that insane lol.

What are the benefits to rebiulding/replacing the crossovers for the KLF-30's?

My kids get to eat, and you won't be getting the itch to upgrade some piece of gear every three days.

This was a big year for me, having bought my new Klipschhorns last January. I've enjoyed being late on the payments, and asking myself WTF was I thinking. My search for a tube amp that does the tube thing and can still scare the sh!t out of the neighbors also ended. I finished things off a few months ago by upgrading my preamp to Mark Deneen's Juicymusic Peach Linestage. Oh yeah, I also modded the Klipschorns for false corner attachment.

This year, I hope to scrounge together enough money to upgrade my AK-4 networks and buy a new CD player.

2004 was a good year for me, I got to go to Detroit and see one of the nicest home theaters that I have laid my eyes on. My hat goes off to Picky and his wife for the hospitality! I have still many things to read and research, but have started to futz with room? ( bachelor apartment ) issues.

About the only things I have upgraded would be my cd and dvd collection, having bought only about a half dozen cd's and about 10 dvd's.

2 C-7's? wow that's crazy, but if you've already got a KLF-30 up there I guess it's not that insane lol.

----------------

Joe,

Insanity is a relative thing, and I've got an insane relative or two...6.gif

The Yamaha is somewhat unique in that it allows for another set of "front effects" speakers. The signal sent to the mains is also sent to the front effects, but slightly delayed. They are positioned above, behind and usually outside the L/R "Mains". Several on this forum use this setup (hornEd and Q-man to name two prominent members2.gif ) and have very good things to say about the expanded soundstage. For me it's one of those things that doesn't cost much to try and I can always use a little more theater "nirvana". 9.gif

The upgrading of crossovers is just another tweak. Upgrading a crossover as DeanG does it puts new and higher quality components in the crossover. I have had discussions with several forum members that had Dean do there KLF-30's, RF-7's, etc. on this upgrade and they all agree on one thing...it is a significant improvement in clarity and smoothness that you can actually hear.

Oh my where to begin! Lots of changes, started with La Scala's & Heresy II's in the rear, then got a chance to get a pair of '62 vertical Cornwalls. Sold the La Scala's! Then got a chance to get a pair of '86 Cornwall II's, bought them, sold the Heresy II's. Then I a got a chance to get some '68 vertical Cornwalls in Mahogany - Ooooohhhh! Sold the the '86 Cornwall II's.

Not to leave well enough alone, having '62 & '68 vertical Corns in the rear along came an opportunity to get some '77 Khorn's, got them and sold the '68 verticals. Talk about a steady stream of upgrades. Tried a pair of Forte's briefly in place of the '62's, but went back to the Corns, sold the Forte's.

I added a KV-4 for additional center channel support, loved it. Then a chance to get an Academy came along so out went the KV-4. Also I added one of DeanG's Jensen PIO AA crossover's to my center La Scala smoothing it out quite nicely. Also updated the '88 Khorn crossovers to AK-3 functionality.

Came across the opportunity to get another matching DBX BX1 Reference Amplifier, bought it, sold my DBX BX-3MkII power amplifier.

At the beginning of the year I went from a Denon AVR-4800, to a B&K Ref 50, and then to a NAD T163 A/V pre/pro it seems the system is in a constant state of evolution. I probably forgot some things, but man it gets better and better. Kind of at a standstill right now as I don't know what else I could add or change. Perhaps a better DVD player at some point.

Been a fun year for gear though! 9.gif

OK this has been an interesting year for me. Went from 2 Ch to HT. Here are my deletions/acquisitions/changes:

Went from 2 La Scala's to 3 and ALKd all three.

Went from having no Heresy's to 4 HII's (Still need one for my rear center) (Slowly acquiring components to rebuild all the crossovers)

Also acquired an RC3II and a set of RB 15s

Got rid of my old Denon separates, the channel separation was bleeding pretty badly and got a Yamaha RX V3300 in their place.

Bought a Denon DVD/DVDA/SACD player, which replaced my old CD player.

Kept my LD player.

Got a Misubishi DLP Proj TV.

Re-activated my Denon DP 62L TT (needs a new cartridge and stylus)

I hope to one-day move back into the separates arena but the Yamaha was too much of a deal to pass up and it facilitated my move into HT. So it has been a year of change for me. It all started when I posted and asked what to do to improve the finish on, my then, 2 La Scalas. All total about $6400 for the year. Will soon upgrade my Cable to HD subscription.

----------------

On 11/28/2004 8:49:31 PM psg wrote:

I went from stereo to multi-channel this year.
1.gif

----------------

Hm, that's funny -- I went from multi-channel ~back~ to two-channel! (In my music room, that is. I still have an ever-so-humble 5.1 HT rig in our family room.)