Best Holiday Movie

Amy

• Moderators

----------------

On 12/2/2004 12:39:59 PM boomac wrote:

... The class room scenes remind me of my own grade school days!
----------------

Me too! I loved the old desks that opened up to hold your books. I never had a locker until high school, and book bags were considered "geeky!"

My favorite sentimental part of the movie is when "the old man" comes through with the ultimate gift, after appearing to be the stereotypical unobservant, uninvolved father figure up until that point. My favorite funny scenes have to be the battle of the leg lamp sequence. So classic.

Out of my list, I take "Whie Christmas," "It's A Wonderful Life," and "A Charlie Brown Christmas" as favorites.

Noting the speech by Linus, for those who Believe, Paul Revere and The Raiders put out a Christmas album.

One song sums a lot up. The words:

Now you wouldn't take the bunny out of Easter

Or the witch out of Halloween

And if they took away your Turkey, it would ruin your Thanksgiving Scene

Then the organ is a little louder and these words are spoken by Mark Lindsay:

Every year about this time, I have a question, It's a thought that's hung me up for many years

Then in a haunting voice he asks:

Who Took the Christ out of Christmas..?

It makes you think. Even if you don't believe, the Holiday is still Christmas.

Jewish Holidays are left quiet, why?

Kwaanza is Celebrated.

Most get the 25th off as a paid Holiday.

All I can say is that many are hungry, hunger knows no Religion, give something to your local food cupboard.

dodger

Heatmiser was from the Rankin-Bass rarity "The year without Santa Claus" now avail on VHS, haven't seen DVD yet. For some reason, it got skipped in the relentless reruns, but is making a very strong comeback. Kind of the follow up to Rudolph in the series, if I recall. There is a rock band that did a remake of the Heatmiser song- very catchy.

Michael

OMG, so I'm in the supermarket tonight. They play 70's and 80's muzak by real artists and the box boys crank it on Sun night. I was doing my best Ronnie Van Zandt "Working for MCA" and thar she was rounding the corner, a very cute 20-something lass. She gave a little giggle and smile. I just tipped my Goodyear hat, said 'good evning miss' and kept on jammin. What else can ya do?

• Moderators

I LOVE the Year without Santa Claus... Heat and Snow Miser--the offspring of Mother Nature! Truly a classic. I gave the video to my brother a few years ago, actually. A sentimental favorite for us both from our childhood.

The tiny Heat and Snow Miser's were the best.... a whole bunch of "Mini-Me"s dancing around with paper hats and canes...

DVD available here http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00004VVPA/ref=pd_bxgy_text_1/103-0831796-1636604?v=glance&s=dvd&st=*=*

You can see the two misers on the cover..

SantaClaus.jpg

post-4329-13819259551986_thumb.jpg

There are so many classics contending for the top five. All good.

We should talk about the runners up down at six to ten.

I nominate Lethal Weapon I. Set in Christmas in LA. The typical cop buddy movie. One is suicidal over the loss of loved one, the other says "I'm getting to old for this . . ." And naturally their meeting just accents the alienation at first.

It works for me.

Smile,

Gil

I got to see A Christmas Story in a theater last weekend. It was a great time. A new reprint of the movie, restored 1920's theater, great popcorn, an audience of 200-300 people, and door prizes that included a bar of Life Buoy and a 20" leg lamp. The audience consisted of the 30 and up crowd that saw the movie in theaters when it originally came out (and many times since) and the younger group that may have never seen it (at least in a theater). It was so much fun to watch that classic of a funny movie with a big crowd that enjoyed every scene.

That same theater is showing White Christmas this weekend and Christmas Vacation next.

• Moderators

That would be so GREAT! Where is this?

I saw Gone with the Wind in a full theater in Bloomington Indiana, and wow, what a different experience than seeing it on a small TV. Nothing like it.

----------------

On 12/8/2004 11:45:55 AM Amy Unger wrote:

That would be so GREAT! Where is this?

I saw Gone with the Wind in a full theater in Bloomington Indiana, and wow, what a different experience than seeing it on a small TV. Nothing like it.

----------------

Right down the road in downtown Franklin, Indiana. Saw Viva Las Vegas there last year but skipped Gone with the Wind. Missed Monty Python's Holy Grail this summer - now that would've been fun (for the guys anyway).

What a beautiful day I had yesterday. My photo assistant Beth (yes the little cutie you see pictured here) came down from Purdue to help me decorate the house. She had never seen 'It's a Wonderful Life', so we watched it together. Two photographers watching a black and white movie together is pretty cool. Then topped it off with Purdue Music Organizations Holiday show at West Lafayette.

Michael- wishing he were 19 again, but it's pretty darn cool to hang out with one as a buddy if ya can-different perspective on life.