Interesting Ebay Item

seti

My guess is that a little bastard is just a smaller cornwall ?

To me it just looks like a cornwall with abit of a different design but I don't know for sure.

Is there a website that has photos etc of known klipsch prototypes and early designs? It would be great if the official site had such a section. I didn't even know about the shorthorn until recently.

I am trying to put cornwalls out of my basement listening cave into the real house. my wife says yes if they are on their side in a built in cabinet,

can I put cornwalls on their side. it hurts to think about.

Also I just oiled, tung, them and they are mint,

is their snything else to do for them or my heresy's, spray the cones ets?

thnaks

----------------

On 11/30/2004 9:55:26 PM colterphoto1 wrote:

OMFG, are we looking at the first Cornwall?? We are not worthy!!!!

----------------

Herecorn? Cornesy? Herewall? Cornhere? If these aren't the Little Bastards, would sure like to know what they are!

Forerunner of the Forte!?

In any event, even without the PWK logo, the workmanship looks authentic Klipsch. Aside from the collector value, they probably sound great! I might have gone for these instead of my first Heresy's in 1974, had they been available.

6.gif

These are not the LB-76 or Little Bastard speakers, the Little Bastard had a horn loaded woofer similar to that of the La Scala or Belle Klipsch only smaller in size. There is a whole thread regarding them in which HDBRBuilder (Andy) and a former Klipsch engineer talk about it in detail. These look like some home brews that were perhaps put together at the Klipsch factory.

Someone should email the seller.

One more thing to consider here too is: Why did they never go into production? Maybe they do not live up to PWK's standards, or they may just suck!

I would think twice about putting these in your living room for listening. That ported cabinet looks pretty big for a 12" woofer.

If I was collecting for collectings sake, that is another story.

JM

Bill Bell at the late lamented Music Box in Massachusetts told me the Heresy would be a lot better sounding if it was half again as tall. These could be an experiment in that line.

The LB was a front loaded single path 12" based folded horn. By the time PWK got it to sound the way he wanted it to, it was costing more to build than the K-Horn.

From the photos, the workmanship appears Klipsch-like and the damping material appears to be installed exactly the same method as on my Cornwalls. Looks to be authentic. It is ported, not sealed like the Hersey, so I would assume it would sound more like a small Cornwall than a large Heresy (if that makes any sense). Kind of like a Forte without the passive radiator.

I had many phone conversations and emails with the seller 6 months ago and almost purchased these. These are authentic. They are not Little Bastards, although I couldn't convince him of that.

The seller insists that PWK referred to them as Little Bastards. My guess is that Paul probably used that moniker to describe a lot of speakers over the years.

Greg

in his book, The Life...The Legend on page 180 it says another speaker of Paul's, virtually unheard of, has a brief and interesting history. the speaker was handmade by Paul and he wanted Valerie to have it. it had no name, and Paul asked Valerie what she thought it should be called. about the size of a Heresy, the speaker was one that Paul was just experimenting with. Valerie thought for a moment and said, lets call it "The Little Bastard". he really liked the name and it stuck

----------------

On 11/30/2004 11:58:29 PM j-malotky wrote:

First off, that is not a Little Bastard speaker as the seller claims.

It is not an early CornW.

It defenetly looks like a smaller version of the Cornw. Would be interesting to see if anybody here has info about it.

JM

----------------

I agree with everything "what he said".

DM

----------------

On 12/2/2004 4:22:08 PM IB Slammin wrote:

I emailed the seller and waiting for him to respond. I believe that he is the guy that was selling some big Altec horns a while back. If so, I drive past his TV repair shop every AM.

Will take a peek.
3.gif
----------------

Wrong guy.

He was familiar because I bought a mint yellow BS T-shirt from him in Jan. Anyway he is close and I will visit this weekend. Just curious.