recent Mac prices for best and worse Macs?

Colin

Recent eBay of Mac MC amplifiers under $500:

MC 2100 $405.00

MC 2105 105W/CH POWER AMP RARE Mint In Box! $620.00

MC 2105 Stereo Power Amplifier with walnut cabinet $500.00

MC 250 (workhorse) $256.50

MC 250 EXCELLENT COND. $202.49

MC 250 Power Amplifier Classic Stereo Solid State $265.80

MC 2505 2 Solid State Amplifier $113.61

MC 2505 2 Solid State Amplifier $255.00

MC 2505 2 Solid State Amplifier $505.00

MC 30 mono amplifier $350.00

MC 30 Tube Mono Power Amplifier Amp $338.30

MC 50 amplifier $147.50

MC 50 Amplifier $177.50 10

MC 50 Power Amplifier $383.00

MC 502 Amplifier Vintage Stereo excellent condition, factory serviced! $300.00

MC 502 Stereo Amplifier $299.00

Know nothing about Mac amplifiers, except what I have read here and heard for two glorious days while visiting preacherman Daddydees May 2004 Klipsch gathering in Little Rock, Arkansas, which models are considered very good for big ole horns and which are the stinkers? What is your experience and why? Thanks.

2.gif

I have and like the MC-30's, as does Ben and Allan. I would guess that at the price posted they have a lot of pitting and need some repair, and/or tubes. Servicing would also be needed at that price. You would also have to replace/upgrade a number of the tubes. They went cheap for a reason.

Colin, I almost ignored this, thinking you were talking about computers, until I saw Don reply. Mc! Anyway, there's a single 30 on ebay right now dirt cheap. Ugly, but seller claims it works. I haven't heard any Mcs besides mine on efficient speakers, but unless you have a very large room, or have some fascination with pain, I can't see why you'd want more power with Khorns.

Mc30s with the right tube complement are stunning. I still haven't done any tube rolling of the small tubes other than putting some short list contenders in and listening. Dflip, Allan, and Audible Nectar should have some insight there. One thing I can say with certainty. Be patient and you will find a good pair for under a grand. This is one of the best values in serious audio. If you hate them, you can get your money back. If you like them, but don't love them, be patient (or jump on the first ones you see that you can possibly afford) and find yourself 4- 350B power tubes. They drop right in and don't need to be matched. You'll never sell them, and MC30s really make power tubes last. Their design goals include a 10,000 hr tube life.

Mine aren't pretty, but I still like to look at them, cause I know how good they sound.

This is a VERY nice pair. I'm sure they won't need much to get them up to snuff--I have come across complete rust buckets that have sat for 25 years that came to life with very little work at all. These will need output tubes--the 6L6G in these aren't really up to the task.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=50593&item=5734638136&rd=1

They'll probably go for abour 1300-1500.

Im currently running a MC-250, C-28 with my k-horns and the sound is very nice. I cant imagine ever needing any more watts. This is my first Mcintosh setup and kind of a resting place before moving on to tubes. Ive heard that the 250 has a very tube like signature. Cant say having never heard tubes.

Ive been following the 240,s on Ebay and they seem to be fetching a pretty good price these days. The MC-30s seem like a better deal just dont know how it would handle some rock n roll and I like the looks of the 240 better. Wow now Im really confused. Whatever decision I make Im sure it will be Mcintosh.

----------------

On 12/1/2004 12:08:15 AM Guy Landau wrote:

----------------

On 11/30/2004 11:35:32 PM Allan Songer wrote:

These will need output tubes--the 6L6G in these aren't really up to the task.

----------------

Which task? The MC-30 was designed to use 1614 output tubes so I guess that ANY 6L6 could be used. IMO these RCA's sound superb.

----------------

Don't get me wrong--the late 1930's RCA 6L6G is a VERY sweet tube, but the MC-30 will eat it up in pretty short order (for a McIntosh amp that is)--a real waste of a nice old tube! The 1614 is as stout as a 6L6GC--I don't have the specs at hand, but I THINK I'm right about this anyway!

----------------

Don't get me wrong--the late 1930's RCA 6L6G is a VERY sweet tube, but the MC-30 will eat it up in pretty short order (for a McIntosh amp that is)--a real waste of a nice old tube! The 1614 is as stout as a 6L6GC--I don't have the specs at hand, but I THINK I'm right about this anyway!

----------------

basically the 1614 and 6lgc'c have higher plate voltage ratings than the the basic 6l6 or any of the other iterations of that tube.450volts iirc.the 1614 was origially mostly used as a transmitting tube .fwiw the fairchild 260 also used the 1614's for a claimed 50w output.

chris

chris

My MC-30's came with some RCA 6L6 tubes and they worked, but the sound was quite flat. Steve Hoffman recommends the following for his MC-30:

12AX7 Telefunken for both positions

12AU7 Mullard or RCA clear top or RCA black plate or (if your system is too aggressive) Telefunken

12BH7 GE or RCA

5U4 RCA or GE or SYLVANIA or TUNG-SOL

6L6GC GE's

Good luck. Remember, the 12AU7 tube is the one I used for tweeking the sound of the 30's.

On some speakers that need top end (not yours) I might use an Amperex Bugle Boy in the spot. On some speakers with too much top end I would use a Telefunken in that spot. And so on. RCA's both clear and black are good but might be a tad agressive with your horns. You can't go wrong with Mullards, the older the better....

I have a variation on the theme with 5751 GE Blackplates in the first slot and 350B's instead of GE 6L6GC's but others have spoken highly of the 6L6GC combination. The 350B's are very sweet, but definitely not cheap. Regular 6L6's will work in a pinch, but the sound is nothing to write home about with almost no depth to it, at least to my ears. These sound of these amps can be changed easily with a change of tubes. There are definitely good and bad combinations.

350B prices have really become INSANE in the last 3-4 years. I still pick them up from time to time for a fair price (I now have a lifetime supply), but this kind of pricing has become pretty typical:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=7275&item=2289348021&rd=1

http://www.members.aol.com/jtiedeck/350b.jpg

Holy smoke, is that a typical price for tubes? $430 Geez.

How do you find out what tube works best with a particular amp? Seems with those kind of prices, experimenting is out of the question.

How do you know when you tubes are crapping out, or on there last leg?

Also, whats the difference between an MC30 and a MC240?

And what's the warm sound or tonal quality you tube boys keep refering to?

By the way, Alan, those MC30's went for $1800+.

Is the use of tube amps geared toward a specific style of music, i.e. do they sound better with Jazz than say, Folk Rock, or Classical?

Sorry if some of these questions seem stupid, but I am so very curious.

The 240 is 40 wpc stereo amp while the MC30 is a 30 watt mono amp (you'll need 2) and is tube rectified (the MC240 is NOT tube rectified).

It looks like I may have another 240 coming my way to audition along with a C11. Any thoughts on the C11? Anyone heard one and know how it compares to a C20 and C22?

P2141401_015.jpg

As with McKlipsch, j-malotky, Al Klappenberger, and others here who also use the classic MC250 SS amp with their Heritage horns...this Mac is still IMO one of THE best buys in solid-state amplification for Klipsch loudspeakers. I assume it's due to McIntosh's patented Autoformers that give this powerplant a tube-like signature. So what if it's old transistor technology compared to today's SS amplifiers, it, along with Mac's other Autoformer/SS power amps are clear winners driving Klipsch (to my ears)!

Had I not gone the 300B SET route, I'd still power my Cornwalls with my MC250 (alas, now sold). If I ever go back to SS, the MC250, MC2100, etc. will be the way to go for me!16.gif

post-11084-13819259639548_thumb.jpg