La Scala and Rega Planet Questions.

126mhz

Hello All:

I've had a pair of Klipsch KP 301's in my basement and I've loved them, (even though they're a bit on the homely side) for all types of music I enjoy.

I just happened upon my deal of the decade in that a friend just lined me up with an old fella who bought a pair of La Scalas in the mid eightys. Even though it sounds too good to be true I recieved them in their original boxes and they look mint in every way. I'm astounded how good they could make birch plywood look.

The number and dating code are as follows: 8663323 and 8663324 and they both have the letters "LS-BR". Could someone date they for me?

Secondly, they both have AL crossovers and after I cleaned them up I hooked they up to a Naim 50 wpc solid state power amp and they both have the slightest little high frequescy "Hum" to them. They sound wonderful, but I'd like to track down the cause of the "Hum." I purchased a new set of AA crossovers from a nice fella on this site from Arkansas and I'm wondering if the "Hum" will go away with the new crossovers installed.

Lastly I have an orogonal Rega Planet CD player that is vuite well isolated with spikes, ect. ect. ect.. Recently it had begun to skip with I apply even a moderate amount of bass to ay one of the three systems in my home. I love the player but the skip is too much at this point. Does anyone know if this could be repaired/serviced without the coast being more than the thing is worth?

Thank you in advance,

Bill Woodward

Portland, OR.

Congrats on your LaScalas. I think you are missing one digit from the full serial number (probably in between the two sixes). I believe your LaScalas were assembled in 1986. Sorry to hear about your Rega Planet. I feel your pain. Had a similar thing happen with mine. Never did end up getting it repaired - just moved it to my office where music is played much quieter. Unfortunately, I think the Regas were way too prone to skipping-even when working properly - when the volume and/or bass gets loud. Nice player but poor design in that one respect.

The following is from one of Danny's old posts (DbFlash):

"KLIPSCH S/N FORMATS

DATES DISCRIPTION EXAMPLE

1946-1947 ### (001) ending #021

1948-1961 #### (0121) starting #0121

Klipschorns of this vintage had the s/n hammer stamped into the tailboard, woofer access door or inside the woofer chamber.

1962-1983 ##letter#### (20Y1234)

1984-1989(?) YY WW #### (89281234)

1990-1997(?) DOY Y2Y1 #### (135791234)

1998-2000 YY WW #### (00281234)

1962-1983 Letter format

A=62 F=67 K=72 R=77 X=82

B=63 G=68 L=73 S=78 Y=83

C=64 H=69 M=74 T=79

D=65 I=70 N=75 U=80

E=66 J=71 P=76 W=81

1946-1961 dates can only be found in log book (eng. Library)

DOY= day of the year

YY=year (i.e. 99,00)

Y2Y1=2nd digit of year, 1st digit of year

WW=week of the year

Date code on drivers (1994) Example 9429 = 1994, 29th week of the year / YYWW"

Carl.

Secondly, they both have AL crossovers and after I cleaned them up I hooked they up to a Naim 50 wpc solid state power amp and they both have the slightest little high frequescy "Hum" to them. They sound wonderful, but I'd like to track down the cause of the "Hum." I purchased a new set of AA crossovers from a nice fella on this site from Arkansas and I'm wondering if the "Hum" will go away with the new crossovers installed.

=> Ah hum (HEHE) when you have a highly detailed and efficient transducer you are going to hear some things you would not normally hear.

Hum could be...

-household appliances

-amp

-source software

If it is in the crosover that is a new root cause to me.

+++++++++++++++++++++

Lastly I have an orogonal Rega Planet CD player that is vuite well isolated with spikes, ect. ect. ect.. Recently it had begun to skip with I apply even a moderate amount of bass to ay one of the three systems in my home. I love the player but the skip is too much at this point. Does anyone know if this could be repaired/serviced without the coast being more than the thing is worth?

=> Lasers get tired. It may be able to be realigned. New laser installed from a reputabel tech could go $ 150-300 depending on part availability.

Ls-BR is La Scala, Birch, Raw or unfinished. The build date is 1986. The speaker and crossover cannot cause a hum or squeal except in the outside chance you have an extreme RFI problem. The efficiency of La Scalas will bring out electronic problems where nothing else would.

----------------

The speaker and crossover cannot cause a hum or squeal except in the outside chance you have an extreme RFI problem.

----------------

Or a strong EMI problem, as in an electrical service panel nearby, such as on the other side of the wall from one of the speakers, like I have.

----------------

On 12/11/2004 2:20:34 PM LarryC wrote:

----------------

The speaker and crossover cannot cause a hum or squeal except in the outside chance you have an extreme RFI problem.

----------------

Or a strong EMI problem, as in an electrical service panel nearby, such as on the other side of the wall from one of the speakers, like I have.

----------------

Maybe put some sort metal sheet behind the service panel on the same side of the wall of the service panel.

If feasible, it may kill the stray EMI. I dunno...

Kinda the same idea like using a Mu shield on transformer to kill the outer magnetic waves from interfering with other parts.

The only squeals I have heard are oscillating HF in amplifiers. Or LF motorboating. But that's off-topic.

----------------

Maybe put some sort metal sheet behind the service panel on the same side of the wall of the service panel.

If feasible, it may kill the stray EMI. I dunno...

Kinda the same idea like using a Mu shield on transformer to kill the outer magnetic waves from interfering with other parts.

----------------

I appreciate the thought, thanks. Someone suggested I put one IN the wall next to the K's, which sounded too messy to do. I didn't mean to imply that my problem is that bad, and it's now down to a pretty low level that I can live with. I was thinking of others who have posted with worse problems than mine, and it took a while to figure them out.

Larry

FWIW

I have a pair of Khorns driven by an Antique Sound Lab AQ1003DT.Prior to buying my Khorns I was using a pair of KLF30.

The amp was virtually silent when connected to the 30s but I get a low level buzz

from it when using my Khorns. The 30s are specified as 102db/1watt/1 meter and the Khorns are specified as 104db/watt/1 meter.