Guitar Gurus! Acoustic Suggestions, Please...

fini

My 16 year-old wants a guitar for Christmas, and I'm thinkin' used. Now, I have a Martin D-28, but there's no way I'm going to get her anything close to that! I'm thinking $200 TOPS, perhaps eBay or Craigslist, or?

What would you guys suggest as a low-end decent sounding and playing guitar? There's a semi-local Yamaha FG-335 (don't know the age) on eBay right now, and tons of others.

I'm even considering refurbishing this funky Hohner Contessa I've got laying around here. It actually sounds pretty good (at least the 3 strings still on it!). Needs new tuners and a cleaning, that's about it. What are some decent tuners for a nylon-string classical guitar? They're mounted on the side of the head.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, a D-28! I looked at a new one, but took a pass as they are a little SPENDY! I got a rosewood D-8(?) instead.

I would look at Yamaha. That's right in the ball park, and it's a nice piece of moderately priced dreadnaught.

Also, Epiphone is a classic brand. I've had one since the late 70's. Another nice one right in the ball park, well made from Korea.

I would pass on the Fender dreadnaught, as it has a shorter neck than the others mentioned above, but that's a matter of taste. It is also well made.

DM

Some very good guitar suggestions would be George Lynch ESP special, he was an excellent guitarist for Dokken at one time.

Check out Dokken's greatest hits cd, it features lots of songs with George Lynch shredding up the guitar, sweet solo's, killers riffs and licks. Dream Warriors is one of my personal favorite song's on there.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00000JFUB/qid=1102708678/sr=2-2/ref=pd_ka_b_2_2/102-6501450-3009741

Here are some pics of his guitars :)

GL600SS.jpg

FBONEZ1.jpggeo1.jpg

fini,

You can get Schaller tuners for classical (slotted head) guitars. They make some reasonably priced ones. (well, maybe not -- they run about $45) I am sure there are cheaper ones out there.

How big are her hands? The wider neck of a classical may be more difficult for her to learn on, even if the nylon strings are easier to fret.

Will a dreadnought be too big? A concert or grand auditorium model may be more to her liking. Those fit more with the Martin 00 and 000 models.

Some of the Epiphone models are decent, but you need to try before you buy there too. The Yamaha acoustics are okay as well. Also try out Alvarez models.

Some of these in the used market would be fine IF you can have a good look at them first hand. These also come up like speakers, and great deals can be found. A used Guild could be a real find as well, as most of them weren't super expensive to begin with. Guild is now owned by Fender.

If you have a Martin, you know what to look for -- warped neck, loose bracing, bridge pulling up, frets badly worn. (That didn't sound right -- your Martin should have NONE of those things!)

What year is your D-28? My brother-in-law has my old D-18, circa 1951.

Marvel

Marvel,

It's a 1973 model. Very nice tone! I does have a small problem, though. The pick guard is lifting a bit at the bottom. I'm not sure if it can be repaired in place, or if it needs to be pulled, and a new one glued down.

fini_d28.jpg

fini_d28_2.jpg

Maybe there's no good way to do this and keep it a secret from her. Maybe we'll go out shopping...

Greetings,

I agree with the folks who suggest either a used Alvarez, Yamaha or Epiphone. My first guitar was a 1975 Epiphone. Nothing fancy but a great axe to learn on.

Also, if you purchase used, you'll get your money back if/when it's time to trade up to something better. I would DEFINITELY AVOID EBAY!!! Guitars and shipping are not a good combination. Further, your best bet is to have your daughter actually play the instrument, as no two guitars are quite the same. The way the neck is carved, the size of the body, etc. will all play a role in her ability to enjoy the instrument.

I've been playing for 30 years now ... you're giving your daughter something that she'll likely enjoy for the rest of her life. Way to go!!!! 9.gif

Hope this helps...

Take care,

Scott

----------------

On 12/10/2004 7:45:36 PM Joe Shmoe wrote:

not really keeping with the thread here BUT...Funny you mentioned George Lynch, I just listed some old Dokken Cassettes on eBay I had autographed by him back when they came through touring with Lynch Mob. BTW a very good guitarist!

----------------

Sweet, he is definatly an awesome guitarist, the boy can really work that axe!!!

I would definitely go to Guitar Center first if there's one nearby. It'll give you a chance to pick up a few different models and decide which will suit her best. The GC also has pretty good sale going on now so you'll get an idea of what you can get for $200 (be sure to include a case). If you're feeling adventurous, then I'd suggest a trip to the local pawn shops. You can find some GREAT deals there IF you know what you're looking for. Knowledge is power in this case since you can also get ripped off if you're not careful. Of course, there's lots of folks out there looking for guitars this time of year so the pickin's may be lean.

For classical, look at Yamaha and Takamine (Japan) as they tend to be set up nice "out of the box"; folk guitars by Takamine, Gretsch, Alvarez, Washburn, Yamaha and maybe some Epiphones although I've never been too impressed with their setup. As a VERY general rule; Japanese-built guitars are better than Korean which tend to be on par with Mexican which are better than Taiwanese which are MUCH better than Chinese. The reason for this is that most of the guitars coming out of the respective countries are actually made in the same plant -retooled for whichever brand the order is for.

At one point back in the 70's, Takamine (Japan, not Taiwan) was picked to produce an import version of Martin. The guitars were called Martin "Shenandoa" and were beautifully built - too good really as other US companies (namely Kaman/Ovation) started ordering guitars through them and Martin pulled out of the deal. For years after, Takamine produced some really nice Martin copies - especially a D-28 copy that aside from the name, was spot-on. They even mimicked their name on the headstock to look like "Martin" from a few feet away.

Check out Guitar Center's web company at

http://www.musiciansfriend.com It'll get you started.

Have fun -Bryan

Mark,

Exactly the reason I haven't bought me a cello yet, as I am averse to buying something that is harder to learn on. Wow! THere are lots of inexpensive guitars out there these days. In the mid '60s, there weren't a lot of options. Once you got past the pain of playing a guitar with high action, got beyond the tone that wasn't even close to what you heard on VINYL, you may just have learned something and decided to stick with it.

My Taylor is a dream to play. I usually have adjusted and set up may own guitars, but that can be tricky. I also have a '70s Guild, that most electric players would die for.

If they are easier to play, they will progress much more quickly. After I got my first D-28 in high school, my mom bought a Silvertone form a friend of hers. It may have been made for Sears, but it had a wonderful neck on it. It was a joy to play for cheap bucks.

Marvel

Finally a guitar thread! Lots of players here, evidently.

I used to have a D-41 which was stolen along with my car, unfortunately. Easily the best guitar I've owned. However, I came across a 00-18 which I LOVE. Small body, small neck, sweet sound. Doesn't have the resonance of the big body, but it's portable, playable, and loveable.

My 2 cents.

fini,

Has the pickguard shrunk some on the D-28. Happens sometimes, and then really needs to be replaced unless you REALLY want it stock. Nice lookin' guitar.

Chris,

I had a 00-18 also while in highshcool. Very sweet sound. Really very balanced. That is what I like about my Taylor 812C that I'm huggin' in my avatar. Most people are so used to the big boom of a dreadnought.

My Civil War (U.S. - also known as the act of northern agression or the recent unpleasantness) guitar pickin' buddy has my middle '60s D-28. He also has managed to collect an older D-18, D-41, a '37 Martin C-7 archtop, two 728 models (7/8 size D-28) and a '30s Dobro. I just wish he lived a lot closer. He has an old Washburn parlor guitar, made a good 50 years ago, way before someone used the name and had them imported.

Mark,

A lot of folks slam the Taylors, but they have one of the best neck, and are very consisten from guitar to guitar.

Gosh, I gotta go. Just finished the Curcio mods to my Dynaco and started testing it. NO SMOKE!!! Bias voltages are running a bit out of range (on the high side), but other than that it's looking good.

Marvel