Check out this SS beauty! WOW

delano

Hello all,

Well I did a little browsing today still looking for the right tube amp and i ran into this little beauty:http://www.charismaaudio.com/A8000.html.

WOW! is it nice.

This sucker weighs about 50 lbs and is so stylish. I had an extended listening session with it. I a/b'd it with a bunch of tube amps using a shanling tube cd player. The tube amps were made by Cary, Jolida and consonance. Now, I know you guys will think I am full of it but it really held it's own. I mean really tube like sound with a pair of Heresy's.

I am really going to think about putting this on my short list. Very tube like sound without the hassles of owning tubes.

Delano

Yeah, but doesn't it bug you just a little that every time you listen to some nice solid state that you're comparing it to tubes? Tube-like isn't like tubes. Hey, when was the last time you heard someone say they were buying such and such a tube amp because it sounded just like a Bryston!

A8000L.jpg

A8000R.jpg

A8000I.jpg

Qinpu A-8000 MK II integrated amplifier

Rugged and beautiful aluminum chassis

Innovative Class A-AB circuitry

Sanken A1215/C2921 output transistors

Burr-Brown OPA604 op amp

ALPS volume control

MSRP Can $ 1,899.00

Specifications:

Output: 2 X 100W (8 Ohms)

2 X 150W (4 Ohms)

Frequency response: 20Hz - 20kHz +/- 0.5dB

THD: 0.05%

Signal-to-noise ratio: 100dB

Damping factor: over 100

Dimensions: (L x W x H): 482 x 300 x 196 mm

Net weight: 20.5 kg

Power consumption: Max. 400 watts

----------------

On 12/28/2004 11:46:15 PM DeanG wrote:

Yeah, but doesn't it bug you just a little that every time you listen some nice solid state that you're comparing it to tubes? Tube-like isn't like tubes. Hey, when was the last time you heard someone say they were buying such and such a tube amp because it sounded just like a Bryston!

----------------

Ok, take Dean off the Naughty list! He just done good.

Not to beat a dead horse, but amplifiers technically should not have an identifiable "sound".

I regard "tube-like" as having a tendency to smear transients and have sloppy bass, or have a high noise floor all the way to "dirty". That's the drawback side of "tube-like", which is what seems to sell on the cheaper consumer-level SS gear. More or less taking something that COULD sound decent and make it more "dirty" so that the consumers can "hear" the "tube-like" sound. Big gimmick in guitar amps.

Now if we are talking "liquid midrange" or "expansive soundstage" as produced by some better tube gear, then now we are making some sense!

DM2.gif

Hello everybody,

Well I finally went and did it. I will not be driving you guys crazy anymore asking "dumb" questions. I bought my system plus some extras.

I picked up this beautiful ss amp as pictured above as well as the Shanling CDT 80 tube cd player. So I do have some real tubes in the system. I also purchased some nice Cardas interconnects and Cardas speaker cable. I will be using my 2002 Heresy II's with this stuff. Because I took the Heresy's out of the living room I had to buy my Wife some new speakers as well. I bought a pair of rf-35's to go with the Onkyo tx8511 receiver and my sony cd player. The wife is now very happy to own her very own set of Klipsch.

I will be putting my system in a dedicated 2 channel room while my wife listens to the radio. I must say I was very impressed right away with the rf-35's with the Onkyo. Right ou of the box they sounded ten times better than the heresy's with that receiver. I realise that Heritage is not as easy to run as the Reference line.

I will hopefully get the new system uop this weekend with pictures to follow.

Once again I apologize for all my dumb questions.

Delano

You ask dumb questions?

The only dumb questions are those that never get asked! That's how we all learn and enjoy this crazy hobby of ours! I've asked many dumb questions in my day right here on this forum, and these loons here have answered each and every one of them graciously! We're all here for eachother, and that's why we all love this forum! So never feel that your questions are too simplistic to ask. You may never learn the answers if you don't ask.

Enjoy your new system!2.gif