Rare Vintage Klipsch Heresy Type HI Industrial Speakers

seti

The HIP- Heresy Industrial Ported, was available in almost any finish. They had fibreglass mat w/ aluminum edges, routed rounded corners with black paint, pebble black, and almost any other wood grain including white paint. Many were used for church sound systems. Most had the metal back panel and standard PA type handle on the top.

I have a brochure with the tech info on them, but it does not show colors.

Michael

BTW, I will be bidding on this set.

----------------

On 12/30/2004 12:14:23 PM colterphoto1 wrote:

BTW, I will be bidding on this set.

----------------

I hope I didn't call too much attention to it if you had already seen it if so sorry. Those would be great for a home theatre system.

I did not equate that the "P" was for ported, these 4 Heresy's had a BIN of $799 originally and shipping at $100 I should have jumped on them as they had no bids when I came across them. Now they are at $910. I am just really happy with my '62 Cornwalls and '77 Khorn's in the rear right now though.

However, if someone on the forum gets them and does not want both pair I will take a pair! I could pay cash or I would offer an Academy towards a pair. I see Michael is going to bid or else I would jump in on the mix. Hopefully a forum member will reel them in!

• 11 months later...

I have a brochure with the tech info on them, but it does not show colors.

Michael, would you be so kind as to scan the HIP specifications and post it here (or email me a copy)? I have turned this Forum, the Klipsch website, and the Internet upside-down and can not find Heresy HIP specifications anywhere. Thank you.

I'd love to if someone could help me with my Brother COpy/fax/scanner/shoelace tie-er. I've never figured out anything but the fax outgoing and copy funcitons. I't supposed to scan also. ANy help?

I've got quite a few Klipsch brochures here.

Vette, email me your land address and I'll send you a paper copy of this brochure for now.

Michael

• 5 years later...

I ordered them the way I ewanted them. I did not like the industrial look .

With the help of all you guys who know what you're doing, I'll be able to find out just exactly what it is that I have.

I ordered industrial speakers, I can't imagine Klipsch cheating me.

I've used them in huge auditoriums and they were more than adequate.

I also used them in my house when I had a house.

Merry

Thanks for not pulling any punches.

I really don't know what to say.

My husband and I find this hard to believe.

I believe you.

We'd like to find out how this happened.

What do you mean chopped up handle job?

The handles were installed by Klipsch when they made the speakers.

They came directly from Klipsch by UPS and the papers that came with them said they were Industrial Heresy.

I still have them.

We were told if we ordered them the way we did, without the metal edges
etc, we could get it cheaper and finish them ourselves which is what we
did.

We paid extra for the black screen on the front.

OK. Gregg said if they were the regular Heresy, they would be worth 1/2 the price I was asking.

Is there a market for these speakers?

Merry

Wait a minute... whre are the pics of yours?

You also need to open the cabinets and see what woofers are in yours. They made a lot of different versions of everything.

Not trying to debate with SF, but there have been a lot of oddities show up. Bob Crites got a pair of floor monitors that were birch raw. really nice looking.

Bruce

Wait a minute... whre are the pics of yours?

yep...the HBR label is a pic provided by Merry ....so if they are regular Heresy's, they would have type E xovers and a k-22 woofer.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello guys: Thought you might be interested in my take. I posted this on the Korg Keyboard Forum Website. This has to do with the best speaker to use with the Korg Pa1x/2x keyboards for live performances. The following is my take.

Regarding sound reinforcement speakers. Consider Klipsch Heresy Industrial Speakers.

I’ve tried and have own several systems. If you are interested in the Bose L1, I do have ‘2’ complete setups for stereo with ‘4’ subs that you might be interested in. They are in new condition with new zip cases for each piece. However, I tried using this full stereo set up and did not like the sound of the vocals and I did not like the sound of the instrumentation. The vocals sounded as if singing thru a piece of 4 inch Plastic PVC pipe. Bose designed these speakers to be used simultaneously as both main speakers and, at the same time monitors, and claimed little feedback if the speakers are placed behind the musician. The idea is that each musician would need one set up and that they would be able to hear them selves sing and play with out needing a separate monitor system. I am guessing that the engineers must have adjusted the frequency response so as to reduce potential feed back. In doing so, certain frequencies fade out. When used to reproduce the Korg Styles, for example, the sting and sizzle of organ Leslie sounds are missing. In addition, you will notice that the hiss of the Flute Fruttello is inaudible. The Bose L1 Model 1 has 96 different ToneMatch Presets and I tried several that were applicable such as OO Flat, 88 Flat -70db Gate, 89 Flat -80 db Gate, Keyboards 50, 51, 52, and 53. After investing over $4,000 I was greatly disappointed but I’m not one lie to myself and call lemons sweet.

I will also point that there is a trade off regarding setup time. I finally realized that I was unloading and unzipping and setting up 2 ToneMatch base stands, 4 upright speaker sections, and 4 subs each of which require running separate cables. In an attempt to improve my sound I tried using a Mackie Mixer with graphic equalizer and so this also added extra rigmarole.

On the positive side I can honestly say that they had more than enough power. I once used them outdoors and I can not imagine any situation where I would need more. They project beautifully. A musician friend said they kicked him in the chest.

I also have 4 new Mackie C300 Speakers. Yes they kick butt; again the frequency response fails to correctly reproduce vocals and the full instrumentation of the Korg Pa. The vocals sound wacky. I’ve heard them referred to as wacky Mackies.

I already own and tried my York Ville Pulse 153 which have 15 in speakers with horns. Vocals come thru pleasing to the ear but again the frequency response is not flat which it must be if you want to correctly reproduce all of the instrumentation comprised in a Korg Style. The bottom end was muddy. All of these set ups tended to drop certain frequencies and thereby drop certain instrumentation intended to come thru in a Korg Style.

At the end of the game and after five years I finally pulled my old Klipsch Heresy speakers off the shelf and voula`, perfection. They are like a breath of fresh air. The vocals sound realistic, the harmonies sound realistic and all of the instrumentation in the styles comes thru, the bottom end is tight and everything comes thru true and crystal clear. With this set up I use a self contained Peavey Powered mixer XR 800F, 9 channel mixer which is more than adequate for most two man gigs. Although it has a graphic equalizer on each channel, I can run it flat and get a great sound. One nice feature ~ is that it has a feedback detector led light over each slider on the equalizer. When ever the system feeds back an led light comes on over that particular slider and you can easily spot the problem. I have come to use it for vocals when playing in my 4 piece group. On the down side, the Klipsch Industrial Heresy speakers are quite heavy. The guys in the band call them blocks of concrete. But I only have to handle 3 pieces, the powered mixer and the two speakers instead of the 11 piece Bose set up that I described above.

Incidentally, I also have two QSC PLX1602 Power amps 800 watts on a side, in other words 3200 watts RMS used in conjunction with the Mackie 1604 VLZ Pro Mixer and 4 Klipsch LaScalas. I never ever need that much power and the system just sets in my garage. I ended up using it at a low volume for practice. The LaScalas sound even better than the Heresy’s but they are two big and cumbersome to lug around.

If you wish, I do have the Bose set up available and it is in pristine condition with all cases however, in all honesty, I do recommend the Klipsch Heresy Industrial speakers if you can find a pair. They are no longer made so you would need to check eBay. As an alternative you might get away with the regular Klipsch Heresy speakers and they are a whole lot lighter to carry. They are rated at 100 watts RMS but are exceptionally efficient which means you don’t need a lot of power to project quite a lot off dbs. I think they would be more than adequate in a lounge or bar. Although they are intended for home stereo use I’ve used a pair for monitors in a rock band for a number of years. They are crystal clear, perfect for vocals and they are tough. I’ve never had any trouble aside from replacement of the tweeter diaphragms a couple of times. They sell on eBay for $400 - $500.

Ideally you should try out what ever system to see if it sounds good to you. If you took my word or anyone else’s you might end up disappointed. I’m only telling from my ear and experience for what it's worth ~

Good luck ~ Charley Brown