OT- carbon Monoxide

colterphoto1

I've been waking up in my 1950's house (first year here) with headaches lately. Seems to coincide with the cold snap and heating season. Scheduled for a new boiler installation in next couple of weeks, but I'm wondering if I've been exposing myself to CO.

Anyone have any experience or advice on home testing kits or appliances? There's no other gas other than boiler and pilot light for fireplace.

Thanks,

Michael

These days, many smoke detectors have built in CO sensors and there are stand-alone plug-in models available at most department and hardware stores.

If you know anyone in the fire Dept., the gas company, a home inspector or that works in a plant that handles chemicals, they most likely have a portable gas meter that will do the trick.

Myself (falling in the latter category) I've checked my house out and most people would be shocked how much CO fills the kitchen everytime you turn on your oven!

Dave

Dang you, Michael for editing the first post! I was gonna poke fun at you waking up in the 1950's!2.gif Maybe you've been watching too much "Nick at Night"...

Serious subject, I know. Perhaps you have sleep apnea? That can cause headaches, too. CO2 detectors are sold at Costco for around $30 (I think). You might consider seeing a doctor, too. Just to be on the safe side (although lately I am not having much confidence in the medical profession).

Good luck!

thanks Fini, I've been rereading my posts lately as it seems the fingers haven't been working with the brain so good (see almost typed BRIAN).

Waking up in the 50's would be cool though!

Apnea could be the culprit also, I've put on weight with stress this year and snoring has really picked up. I wake myself up sometimes! That's bad. Also my throat hurts in the morning, guess that could be from either cause. Maybe I'm just a sick puppy! But you already know that.

I'm off the Lowes to get CO detector right now. I feel better if I'm outside for just 15 minutes or so, so bet that's what it is.

Thanks for help gang,

Michael

----------------

On 12/31/2004 9:19:59 AM dodger wrote:

Hi Michael:

We have a plug-in that is very accurate. Received as gift, so it couldn't have cost more than $50.00.

Can also be due to dry air. If you are easily getting nosebleeds for no known cause, that narrows it.

If you want to borrow, let me know.

dodger

----------------

Michael,

I agree w/ the above post your heater typically dries the air out quite a bit and you could be slightly dehydrated when you wake up hence the headache. This hapens to me every year I visit my family in PA over Christmas. CO however is a silent, odorless killer. So getting the inexpensive detector can provide a sound peace of mind and protection. CO can render you sort of punch drunk until you pass out and then the party is over.

Having been an auto mechanic most of my adult life doing a lot of tune-ups and emmissions work, I am very familiar with CO exposure. Your symptoms, Michael, are the symptoms of CO exposure, mild CO poisoning : headache, sore throat and confusion. Especially that it clears soon after getting fresh air. Next will come nausea then uncounciousness. I'll skip the last major symptom.

Until you get your boiler replaced, please sleep with a window open and extra blankets. We like you around here, alive, lucid and concious. 1.gif

Let us know what you find out with that CO dectector.

Rick

A 1950's home? That's pretty sweet. Heh.

I hope it isn't carbon monoxide. That wouldn't be good.

So you should probably find out as soon as possible if in fact it is carbon monoxide.

Drive over to your local Wal*Mart and pick up one of these: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=1586935

That one isn't too expensive, it's portable, and it'll work. Heh.

But if you'd like to see how much carbon monoxide is in the air,

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=1586926

That carbon monoxide detector will tell you. But it's a little more expensive.

That's the one I would go with though, so if there is a reading of carbon monoxide in the air you can ask your doctor (or Google - heh) how much carbon monoxide is too much.

We have a cabin in New Hampshire that we just installed propane heaters in (so the foundation won't crack during the winter - it already had last winter). They give off CO but if you open each window only slightly (about 3 or 4 fingers wide) - the carbon monoxide detector will show a reading of 0 carbon monoxide in the air.

In the mean time I'd open the windows like someone else I believe suggested.

- Steven

If you even think you may have a problem with CO get ahold of your local fire department or gas utility immediately and have them check it out. They should both have CO detectors.

If you want to determine whether your symptoms are CO poisoning you can go to your local emergency room or doctor. A simple blood test will tell.

Inexpensive CO detectors are available at your local home improvement center. There are also chemical CO detectors that will change color on exposure. But I don't know where these are available.

There is another reason for a CO detector. I read once of a case where the CO detector was setting off an alarm, but nothing could be found wrong with the heating system. Turned out there was a smoldering fire in a wall that was about to erupt into something big.

I doubt if it's dry air. I'm on a gas-fired boiler hot water radient system here. Bought it especially for that as a main feature. The hydronic heat does not dry the air, doesn't pressurize the house, so you don't create leaks, and NO DRAFTS OR NOISE!

Could have just been a brain thing. I get migraines sometimes and ate some spicy food last night. Or it could be aneurism acting up! Years of wild living taking their toll wwoohhhooouch!

Michael

Your local natural gas company will check your house/appliances for you, as a public safety service with calibrated, accurate test equipment. There's usually no cost for this service, and it's typically treated as an emergency, ie, 1/2 response time.

Many of the consumer grade CO detectors do NOT respond to lower levels of CO that, based on the length of exposure, can still be hazardous to a person's health.

Please, call your GAS company at once - CO is nothing to fool with!

Similar symptoms can be from exposure to Radon also. Radon is an indoor air pollutant that can accumulate in old houses. There are relatively expensive test kits for radon out there also. Try to eliminate the CO issue first. If not, let me know if you need help getting a radon test kit.

Michael,

The simplest solution is usually correct. In this case, check out the CO and Radon, but buy an inexpensive humidifier to use at night. It is likely to give you instant relief. Of course, you could always spend big $$$ with an otorhinolaryngologist to get the same advice.2.gif

Bill

Many years ago I mounted a CO detector in the back hall near the bedrooms, & within a few days, it was going off 2-3 times a day. I called the fire dept, & they were more than happy (almost as if they were bored) to come up & check it out.

They searched the whole house with a CO detector & found nothing. At one point, he had the probe down the heater vent (showing 0.0) when the alarm went off right over his head. He held the probe right near the alarm & still showed nothing.

He then told me that 99 of 100 false alarms they get are from First Alert brand detectors (which I had), & that I should unplug it & get another brand. I have not had it go off since.

The point here is that the fire dept, especially this time of year, seems to really want to come out to help. Let them do their jobs! One phone call cant hurt, & may save you alot of grief.

BTW.... this was over 10 years ago. I would assume that First Alert has fixed the problem since then.

I must insist that you have this issue resolved as soon as possible. It is potentially lethal. Like with most accidents, you might think it can't happen to you or it is only a small issue to be addressed in due time.

NOT SO. HAVE THINGS CHECKED IMMEDIATELY.

There was an accident some years ago in the Chicago area and the law office I was with some of the law work. When people die, someone will get sued, of course.

This occured in a small apartment building. The couple in Unit A woke up in a cranky mood and started arguing for no apparent reason. They eventually went outdoors and found the fresh air wonderful. They realize there was a problem.

Then they saw that the car for unit B was still in the parking spot, even though the couple in Unit B typically take it to work. There was no answer at the door and very soon they and/or the authorities broke down the door to gain access.

Too late. The couple in Unit B were dead in their bed, having perished over the night.

It was found the gas furnace was not properly adjusted during some fairly recent work. The stack gas contained water and sulphur. The resulting sulfuric acid corroded the chimney liner, and CO got into the HVAC system.

Lawyers see things like this to a lesser extent than the police, EMTs, and ER staff; and we see them long after the incidents. Still, it is difficult to not be affected by the senseless deaths which could have been prevented.

You owe it to yourself and loved ones to get things checked.

Gil

When I purchased the home, I naturally had it inspected. Of course, being the cheapo that I am, I passed on the guys CO test. ARRGGHH. I'm feeling better today, might have just been blood pressure. Mine's a tad high (ask Indyklipschfan) and I'm supposed to take meds, but after four different ones, they make me too lethargic (sp?), so I don't take like I should. Bad, Bad Michael.

I will check out CO, new boiler being installed next week. Also have to insulate attic, it's like 2" must be like R4, we're ideally supposed to have about 14" or R36 round these parts. Gas bill was $300 last month Nov and it wasn't even cold.

Thanks for caring.

Michael

----------------

On 12/31/2004 9:12:33 AM colterphoto1 wrote:

I've been waking up in my 1950's house (first year here) with headaches lately.

----------------

Could be stress, Michael. It plays funny tricks on you. Not that I wouldn't do a Carbon Monoxide test anyway. I get those headaches sometimes. Bad few days at work, then the headache when I wake up in the mornings. If you have medicine prescribed, you really should take it. Slightly elevated blood pressure will do it too. Maybe some gentle exercise and a good sports massage to rub away the fears.