What I've learned in 2004.

arfandbark

It started with my beloved Cornwalls. These speakers have been in my neighborhood since new. But what do I have? Belgaudio gave me a clue. I knew Klipsch Cornwalls were good, but how good? What did that all mean? I dunno.

Being the newbie I am, I decide I need an H/K 3480 to get the utmost out of the Cornwalls. Oopsie one. $330.00 later I have my 3480 singing along in my living room. It's all fine while it's new but after more listening sessions I find the high end is wearing me down. Fatiguing, I guess it's called. Extremely fatiguing..

Enter the Klipsch Forum. I'd like to thank HDBR, Chris Robinson, Seadog,Daddy Dee, BEC and anyone else who I'm forgetting @ the moment with regard to my purchasing a H/K 730. What a difference! Again, I thank you all.

I do notice that the 730 has a tendancy to "lose it's grip" at higher listening levels. This creates a problem in that sometimes I like my music louder than the 730 wants to play cleanly.

More about you people. I never knew my speakers had crossovers, not to mention they can be tweaked.

I never knew you had to have a pre amp to run power amps.

Before this year, I thought all you needed was a receiver.

Are these berrypoints going toward my VRDs?

Woof.

----------------

On 1/1/2005 12:52:23 AM DeanG wrote:

I don't know, I've been kissing Craig's *** all year, and the price keeps going up. I'm going to take the opposite approach and see if the price comes down.
1.gif

----------------

Wow! Dean. You need to watch your wording there, buddy! 9.gif

I had the chance to spend some time at my dads yesterday, where I keep my 74 Khorn and Scott 299D. I played some of my favorite songs and realized that I like the sound of my home two channel setup way better. THe environment where the Khorns are kept, and the CD player are far from ideal, but the sound seems colored. The bass is very mushy, and way more apparent than with my CW's.

So why bring this up you ask? The right gear and room setup can definitely make speakers sound good or bad depending. Kind of amazed me. VRD's, Blueberry and Cornwalls are an incredible mix. New crossovers for the Cornwalls did not hurt either.

SO Woof, if you are heading in that direction you will be amazed again. I have an HK430 and a HK630, and the VRD's make them pale in comparison. It is definitely worth the investment, and the volume will not let you down.

What I noticed with CW's and SS gear, is that as you turn it up it becomes uncomfortable at higher listening levels. The sound starts to get bright and scream at you. Can even be annoying. With the VRD's you can just keep going louder, but as you turn the volume knob it really does not seem to be getting louder. You do not really notice how loud it is until you try to speak to someone in the room. The you say d** the music is way to loud. Does this make since to you? THat is what I consider good gear. 9.gif

----------------

On 1/1/2005 12:52:23 AM DeanG wrote:

I don't know, I've been kissing Craig's *** all year, and the price keeps going up. I'm going to take the opposite approach and see if the price comes down.
1.gif
----------------

Price just went up for you again 2.gif

----------------

On 1/1/2005 8:55:35 AM tillmbil wrote:

I had the chance to spend some time at my dads yesterday, where I keep my 74 Khorn and Scott 299D. I played some of my favorite songs and realized that I like the sound of my home two channel setup way better. THe environment where the Khorns are kept, and the CD player are far from ideal, but the sound seems colored. The bass is very mushy, and way more apparent than with my CW's.

So why bring this up you ask? The right gear and room setup can definitely make speakers sound good or bad depending. Kind of amazed me. VRD's, Blueberry and Cornwalls are an incredible mix. New crossovers for the Cornwalls did not hurt either.

SO Woof, if you are heading in that direction you will be amazed again. I have an HK430 and a HK630, and the VRD's make them pale in comparison. It is definitely worth the investment, and the volume will not let you down.

What I noticed with CW's and SS gear, is that as you turn it up it becomes uncomfortable at higher listening levels. The sound starts to get bright and scream at you. Can even be annoying. With the VRD's you can just keep going louder, but as you turn the volume knob it really does not seem to be getting louder. You do not really notice how loud it is until you try to speak to someone in the room. The you say d** the music is way to loud. Does this make since to you? THat is what I consider good gear.
9.gif
----------------

When the music is clean loud just isn't loud anymore ! I truly believe most people that say things like "anything above 95dB hurts my ears" just don't have enough headroom. 95dB with 5% distortion should hurt your ears I could careless what type of distortion it is.

Craig

----------------

On 1/1/2005 8:55:35 AM tillmbil wrote:

What I noticed with CW's and SS gear, is that as you turn it up it becomes uncomfortable at higher listening levels. The sound starts to get bright and scream at you. Can even be annoying. With the VRD's you can just keep going louder, but as you turn the volume knob it really does not seem to be getting louder. You do not really notice how loud it is until you try to speak to someone in the room. The you say d** the music is way to loud. Does this make since to you? THat is what I consider good gear.
9.gif
----------------

Bill, nice post. I can totally relate

----------------

On 1/2/2005 3:37:47 AM arfandbark wrote:

Not too happy about you guys upping the price on the VRDS.

Good thing shipping will be cheap....----------------

Heck I have one customer in his audiogon profile listed them as costing $3500. I wish !!! I think he is includung the money he spent on Genelax KT88's though but it would be nice if he specified that.

Oh and the price hike in this thread is just to Dean !

Craig