Tube amps What would you buy!!!

dr.hug

Question what would you buy $2000 CDN to buy a push pull tube amp for RF5's.

More interested in Integrateded amps (35 watts) but if the preamp and amp can come up to this and sound better than the the integrated I am all Ears.

ok Max $2500 and yea I am ok with used but not vintage.

Thanks To all

PS HAPPY NEWYEAR!9.gif

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So, you basically have $2000 in U.S. dollars.

I would buy this linestage...

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?preatube&1109703176

...and these monoblocks...

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstube&1108941587

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstube&1109721961'>

The preamp you will have forever. The amps are a great starting point for you, and you can upgrade at your leisure.

----------------

On 1/1/2005 1:35:41 AM DeanG wrote:

So, you basically have $2000 in U.S. dollars.

I would buy this linestage...

...and these monoblocks...

>

The preamp you will have forever. The amps are a great starting point for you, and you can upgrade at your leisure.

----------------

That is as long as you never get a turn table. The Blueberry is the pre-amp you want then. However nothing against Mark or his products, there are lots of other great pre-amps out there.

I have a VTL Ultimate and love it. It came highly recomended to me by a member of this board and I can second it to you. I also have a Sonic Frontiers power 1 amp. 55wpc and it sounds great. I bought both amps used and have $1100 in the pre-amp and $1300 in the amp. It was less than 5 years old and still had the mfg warranty in effect when I bought it.

Thanks for all the Replys ...

I am a little confused I though the amp would be something that you would always keep and the pre amp would be what you would upgrade.

Also would this sound better than say a used audio research CA50(intagrated)

I guess what I am trying to do is narrow down the list so that I can go and listen.

The problem is that their is a limited amount of places that have these tubes for me to listen to. the mini mites and peach are if I drive to the USA (I don't mind) I just want to make sure they have synergy also with the RF5's.

9.gif

Depends on what you are looking for. If you like good volume at times, you will need over 35wpc in a tube amp. I had a Dynaco ST70 at 35wpc and loved the sound, but it ran out of gas around 103 dbs. Went to an MC240, and it has plenty of gas up to 110 dbs. About as loud as you would probaly demo them at.

Bought Criags VRDs and now I feel I have it all. Great low volume sound, and no trouble with louder volumes. I have had them up to 115 dbs, but it is way too loud for me.

There are way too many people here who have heard more amps than me though. Dean had some Quad 40's that he really liked. He is a Classic Rock listener I believe. Those amps go for around $1500.00, and you could still get the Juicy Music pre amps. Craigs VRD's are more in the $2400.00 range. The only thing about Marks pre amps that may be a deterrent is that there are no treble and bass adjustments. Some people like them. After I bought the Blueberry I forgot all about the need for adjusting bass and treble.

I think for around $2500.00 to $3000.00, if you are in no hurry, you could find a pair of mono tube amps and a pre amp that you could keep for a life time. There are still amps and pre amps I would like to try, here is a short list:

VTL Ultimate pre - had good rec on this one, and cabbleshack?? has one

Mark III's or two rebuilt St70's run in mono.

MC30's - loved by Alan Songer and in your price range

I recommended The Peach because out of all the linestages I've owned, it sounds the best. It's also has features that most don't have. I love the sensitive/accurate individual gain controls for each channel, and the fact that it has HT bypass means I can add a processor in the future if I choose. The unit projects a massive soundstage, rich and full, without giving up any detail. I believe the preamp to be the foundation of the system. Get the best you can afford, let it anchor everything down -- then build around it.

The Quicksilver Mini-mites are well regarded, and a great place to start. A lot of amp for the money at the used price, and with The Peach -- will probably drop your jaw. There are certainly other, more costly options on the amp side of things, but I wanted to keep you within your budget. The great majority of integrateds will not compete with a decent separates set up. Since you can afford separates -- go separates.

I don't understand why you feel you have to "drive" to the U.S. -- all of these transactions are typically done via UPS or FedEx.

Dean, the headache with UPS from the US to Toronto is a $50 brokerage fee by UPS, plus duty, GST/PST (15%) and convert from US to Canadian dollars. Craig's LK-72 cost me $150 on my Visa when it was delivered to me. Sometimes there is no other choice, but if he can get some of the merchandise up here it will save him money.

An example, Mark's Peach roadshow is a pain to get up here. It requires an E29B temporary permit which allows it to be tax exempt. A 10% payment or $100 deposit is required to get it into the Canada, when it is shipped back to the US and I have proof, I can submit the forms to customs to get my $100 deposit back. The form is available online here: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/E/pbg/cf/e29b/README.html More information on the form is available at: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/E/pub/cm/cn470/cn470-e.html The form has five pages and must be signed by the agent/broker. The border does create some economic and political problems that is more evident on larger ticket items. Tubes and capacitors don't create a problem, it is those heavier things like amps and preamps that are the headache.

Just a side note... The mother inlaw lives in the New jersey. so I looked at it as I could go and visit her and if I am lucky No-duty when I cross the border on the way home.

11.gif

I would perfer to get everything up here (just because if I had it shipped to her then if their are any issues I could resolve it on the spot) rather than 2 months later. but on the other hand it might be less of a hassal from what Dflip pointed out.

Dean, would you suggest any other amps that would work well with the Peach

(As it stands I am leaning to the Peach from all the good words on it.)

have any of you listened to the mini's and the Peach together?

Just a side note... The mother inlaw lives in the New jersey. so I looked at it as I could go and visit her and if I am lucky No-duty when I cross the border on the way home.

11.gif

I would perfer to get everything up here (just because if I had it shipped to her then if their are any issues I could resolve it on the spot) rather than 2 months later. but on the other hand it might be less of a hassal from what Dflip pointed out.

Dean, would you suggest any other amps that would work well with the Peach

(As it stands I am leaning to the Peach from all the good words on it.)

have any of you listened to the mini's and the Peach together?

Guest Anonymous

For a GREAT amp(s) I Highly rcommend the VRD's by NOSValves. I have compared to amps 3 times the price, and these are the BEST.2.gif3.gif You never have to upgrade, unless you went with much less efficient speakers. Email me if you are interested2.gif

----------------

On 1/1/2005 3:49:11 PM jt1stcav wrote:

Located near London, Ontario, Ideal Innovations manufacture top-quality tube amps and preamps at affordable prices. Check out their models and specs, and pick the two you like within your budget.
----------------

I have no idea whether these are good bad or other wise. Have you heard them personally Jim ?

Craig

I'm in Canada also so can relate to the exchange factor.

I am using a Consonance Ella PP integrated amp with triode/pentode option. Very versatile allowing lots of tube rolling (KT88, EL34, 6550).

These come in a kit but can also be found for re-sale already built from time to time. Very highly regarded and considered by many to compete with some of the best pp amps out there. Check out the DIY forum on AudioAsylum.

Recently saw one on Audiogon for about $1,100US with many great mods! Great bang for buck but only has one input. If you want more, ther is room to add a second set of inputs or you could do as I did and bypass the volume pot and use the Ella as a pure power amp and get a noice pre. I am using the Eastern Electonics Mini MAx and while the gain is a bit much for the sensitivity of the Ella, the sound is magnificent!!

Cheers,

----------------

On 1/1/2005 3:52:17 PM NOSValves wrote:

I have no idea whether these are good bad or other wise. Have you heard them personally Jim ?

Craig

----------------

I heard my brother's friend's Stereo-40 (their Traditional Series @ 20 WPC) driving a pair of efficient Triangle towers and a Cary Audio CD player (no preamp, just the CD player connected straight to the amp)...in a word, NICE! Smooth, detailed, very dynamic! I almost bought a 10 WPC Stereo-20 on eBay for only $285 in October of '03, but I backed out because I thought 10 watts wouldn't quite hack it with my musical tastes at loud volumes with my Cornwalls. Now I use an 8 WPC SET...go figure!14.gif

Since he has set a limit of 2000 U.S. dollars, I see no point in recommending amplifiers that would force him to compromise on the preamp. I think the bulk of that should go into a stellar sounding and flexible front end, and use the rest to buy something from the used market to drive the RF-5's. JMNHO.

I sure like this Dynaco -- but now you're over budget!!

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstube&1109769940

1104585344.jpg

Dean,

That ST70 has a 100% stock circuit for the money he would be ahead to buy a bone stock one and have it not only rebuilt but upgraded. Way to much to spend for a painted up to hide the pitted chassis version with a bone stock front end.

Craig