OT Permafrost - N - Poop

oscarsear

Need some feedback from those of you who are experienced residents of the northern climes. I've not lived in the north before and am entering my first winter. Got helpful neighbors and all but some things just merit the input of fine folks such as yourselves. Besides, I don't know how much I can trust my neighbors on important matters and I want a consensus.

Apparently if you do not immediately capture a recent doggy doo episode it has a tendency to adhere to the ground...as in frozen. Left for a length of time and it really has to be dug out much like mineral strip mining. It becomes perma-crap, so to speak.

So...do I accompany each of my 2 animals on their early A.M. potty forays for urgent clean up duty? If not can this stuff be left for sprintgtime and at what cost or perhaps benefit?

Oh, the musical relationship is that boths dogs like classical and hate zydeco (makes them skittish and barky).9.gif

To preface my comments, we have a 12 yr old, 85 lb Yellow Lab and live about 2 hours north of Minneapolis/St Paul. At the moment we only have like 6 inches of snow on the ground, but todays high was 1, or 0, depending on what radio station you're listening to. I know from whence I speak.

Luckily, Chloe is kinda bashful when she's doing her duty, she usually goes off in a stand of trees, which means never having to worry about clean up. Of course, there are times it ends up other places though. Yup, it'll freeze to the ground, probably hurt your fingers if you tried to hit it with a golf club, although sometimes it doesn't seem to stick quite as firmly. Hard as a rock though. In the spring, come snow melt and warmer temps, the grass gets all squishy everywhere, pretty sloppy usually, and the dogs presents that you see will probably just disintegrate, kinda like leaving a Ritz cracker in a bowl of water. A good rain or two in the spring will continue the breakdown and it just sort of disappears.

That's been my experience at least, others may vary.

p.s. I never imagined I'd be doing a review of THIS on this forum!! 6.gif

We clean our dogs up usually once a week the night before the trash service comes. It isn't that hard to scoop up from the frozen ground, just get a good "pooper scooper" lol, and you will be all set. As for waiting until spring, I would advise against that, depending on the size of your yard. For one thing, your dog will appreciate not having to walk through a maze of "land mines" and when the Spring thaw does come it will not only thaw the ground... if you get my drift :) better to get it while it's somewhat froze.

Pooch-Poop-sicles...YIKES!

Definitely a first on the forum...

Just as long as you guys don't consider/argue to death the harmonic frequencies of poochie poop pies(which I am sure vary widely depending on the ratio of Hound/Woofer size related to local temperature and pressure variances). The psychics that accurately describe the problem have been totally repudiated and have been replaced by a the F theory of strings....in which we determine that there is only one dimension, and the physicists have been using the theory of multi-dimensions to shadow the fact that they can't walk over their own single-dimensioned shoe laces without falling on their faces.

Thnx to the 2 of you who responded. What I needed and got was additional input for my 14 Y/O, male of the species, who required some opinions other than my own as to this most delicate issue. With your learned experiences and wisdom the lad is now left with little recourse but to dutifully attend to the doody duty. Much appreciation. 16.gif

Just run the snowblower around your backyard once a week. It'll flip that "Perma-Poo" right over the fence into your neighbor's yard. It'll also send your neighbor a message as to how you feel about their opinion. 9.gif

Just kidding, of course. I have excellent neighbors.

This HAS to be in the top 10 of Strangest O/T's.

----------------

On 1/5/2005 5:36:10 PM Champagne taste beer budget wrote:

Luckily, Chloe is kinda bashful when she's doing her duty, she usually goes off in a stand of trees

----------------

Thats cause she doesn't want you to hear her grunt or see her eyebrows come up to a point on her forhead and her mouth peel back as she's straining to push it out.... I understand. Pooping is a very private matter. I've been with my wife for almost 11 years now and to this day she has NEVER seen me go poop. Wont allow it.

CMon Champage, you can't tell me you don't make funny faces when you poo.