The Twins are on the road and...

thebes

They left just before Christmas to visit their parents in the Mid-west and to "swing by Uncle Donald's" I'm a little suspicous because they were wearing bikinis under their mukluks, down jackets and winter mid-thigh black calf hugger boots. Despite my best efforts I hadn't gotten into any trouble with them prior to the holidays, which I just considered a normal reaction to the good will and good cheer of the season.

So I'm at loose ends tonight so how about a little music thread. I'm thinking we've done a lot of songs and tuens but how about music only. So what's your favorite INSTRUMENTAL passsage, song whatever. Could be any genre most definetly including calassical, jazz, blues, country, pop, rock well you get the idea.

For some reason the following popped into my head:

"Wipe Out" early 60's surfer instrumental.

Help me out heere folks I'm lonely 'nimbald, 'nimoverwieght, 'nimmiddleaged, 'nimbordering on senile, nim...

Well there, Mr. Thebes.

How about 'Embyronic Journey' by Jefferson Airplane from their 1967 album 'Surrealistic Pillow'. It's an instrumental with all acoustic guitar.

Or while we're in the same era (way before the twins were even a twinkle in someone's eye), how about 'Classical Gas' by Mason Williams. Also, an instrumental all acoustic guitar piece of music with corny brass overdubs. Didjaknow that this tune debuted on the Smothers Brothers show as musical accompaniment to a rapid fire slide show of about 1,000 pieces of art all blasted at the viewer. Those were the daze.

How's about Stevie Ray Vaughn: Riviera Paradise...He was a guitar god and this track is proof of that. A guy that can make a guitar scream the blues and then play this jazzy / moody / bluesy piece. He may have been (IMHO) wihtout peer.

Sound track to the Last Temptation Of Christ Passion - Peter Gabriel

HA! - The Creatures featuring Leonard Eto monster percusion is the only way to describe it.

Of course my all time favorite is Marcel Marceau live in paris 9.gif

Twins? Pictures?

thebes, you make the case for why painters switch to toluene free paint.

Just kidding, your posts are great.

Did you see the calendars at finis coffin post? Are those the twins posing for May-June 2003? Youve never told us if the twins are identical or not.

Favorite coffin manufacturer 2003 calendar

http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=58953&sessionID={BF6E516A-48C1-4327-830A-74FEF388D33F}

P.S. Up there with "Wipe Out" don't forget about Telstar by the Tornados.

Alright now we're cooking, I'm so old I remember listening to Telstar over and over again when it was first launched-for you younger pups that was our first, or one of our first, satellites lauched into outer space.

All the other suggestins are really cool too. So where's everybody else-can't believe everybody on this board hasn't a favorite insturmental they'd like to share.

Now don't be timid you might get a kiss from the Twins when they return from (ahem) their parnet's house.

Rick Nelson and Hello Mary Lou, with that blistering James Burton solo, would set the scene.

Sorry, misread the thread, instrumental? Hmmmmmm. How about Sergio Leone and one of those Spaghetti Western themes, like "Hang 'em High". Or Booker T and the MG's and "Green Onions".

Some stellar guitar work can be found on Alice Cooper's 1987 Album called "Raise your fist and Yell" It features guitarist Kane Roberts, he tears it up with massive solo's, hammer riffs, licks and power chords. Its a treat to listen to with that 80's hard rock sound, its sure to satisfy the solo hungry crowd10.gif

Here he is

k1.jpg

"Wipe Out" from "The Ventures On Stage Around The World", live recording 1965 on Dolton Records. Instead of one long drum roll (IMHO) by the Safaris studio version. The Ventures live version actually has a real drum solo. It impressed me when I got it at the age of 15, and it still impresses me today (40 years later). I have the album (with alot of snap, crackle & pop) and I was also fortunate enough to obtain it on CD.

Another favorite is "Apricot Brandy" by Rhinoceros. This was popular around 1968. Rhinoceros recorded three albums for Elektra Records. All of them are available these days on CD through Collectibles Records. "Apricot Brandy" packed alot of whallop in a short song.

4:33, by John Cage. I've heard both the vocal and instrumental version, and while it can be hotly debated, I can say with confidence that the instrumental version cuts to the essence of the composition.

Especially the bassoon solo.

While I can't say this is a "rock out riff," one musical segment I enjoy immensely is Rachmaninoff's symphony no. 2 (preferably in E minor), the 2nd movement, when the flute solo comes in a few seconds after the string introduction. It's so soft, and gentle, and subtle. The way a delicate breeze stirs a meadow. Or the way a misty fog rolls across a vast lake like little cat feet. I love it to death.