In the spirit of Monster Cable's corporate greede... Build your own.. Here's a few links

m00n

Moonie, What you dont think my numbers are right? 2.gif9.gif

Actually, I havent updated that page in ages, so the price comparisons are likely not too accurate. However, it does give you a flavor of how some of the monster cables are significantly over priced. I do need to update it as I have just built some speaker cables using Canare Starquad 4S11 cable using RadioShack Banana plugs. At $0.69 per foot plus $6.00 for each connector Im still cheaper (and thicker copper) than the Monster Biwire M Series that it replaced. (and I have a 100 ft of cable now).

IMHO, DIY cables are a very good option if you have a large number of cables or long distances. Plus, I think you get much better quality DIY.

Here are a few pages I have found helpful

http://www.bus.ucf.edu/cwhite/theater/DIYCable.htm

http://www.audiotweaks.com/diy.htm

http://home.cogeco.ca/~audiovideozone/DIY_Cable_Info.html

-Dave

Are you kdding me? I didn't relize that was your page. Ha... too funny. Glad I didn't say anything bad. 9.gif

Very cool. Now I know where to go when I questions. 1.gif

*EDIT* I didn't realize but the third link in the original post was wrong. it was taking you to the wrong page. I just fixed it

Just another note - the following link that I listed above allows you to build your own interconnects without any expensive crimping tools.

a $10 coax stripper and a $8 soldering iron is all you really need. The poster in this link used a bench vise like a third hand to make soldering easier but that is really not necessary.

Don't let the higher cost of the coax crimping tool and or the more fancy compression crimpers scare you away from making your own interconnects!!!

http://www.gspaudio.co.uk/set_up/cable_1_hi-fi_interconnect.htm

additionally - nearly ANY RCA connector will work with this method. I have used Neutrik and Switchcraft connectors for my cables. Both of them are available for less than $2.00 each.

I do recommend of staying with a name brand coax RG-59 - Belden, Canare, Comscope are all good choices.

Have fun!!!

----------------

On 1/10/2005 10:38:59 AM Drew in the desert wrote:

I am moving to a new house in two weeks and need a longer sub cable than what I currently have. I won't be purchasing any Monster product, but I can't decided on a decently priced cable. I need about 16 feet, and I am interested in getting a DIY from someone willing to build it. Any takers?

----------------

Depending on what you want, Apature has some great already made plus they will custom make. 1-800-APATURE.

Guest Anonymous

if you have a soldering iron just make it yourself there is only 4 points that need to be soldered and very easy to do. i have made my own cables before and found that they are cheaper and better than monster, but not as good as a store bought cable, i would recomend going with audioquest, straight wire, vampire wire, otherwise check out blue jeans cable which is really popular, blue jeans cable uses canare cable and i use canare on my 2 ch system and i love it, it sounds good its heavy and sounds great and really cheap

Actually, I have thought about making my own. However, I don't want to purchase bulk wire when I only need 16 feet. Also, I don't have a soldering iron (I know they are cheap, but I don't really need one). Since there are members of this forum that make their own cables that are every bit as good as the store bought ones, why not send them some business?

----------------

On 1/10/2005 10:58:51 AM Drew in the desert wrote:

Actually, I have thought about making my own. However, I don't want to purchase bulk wire when I only need 16 feet. Also, I don't have a soldering iron (I know they are cheap, but I don't really need one). Since there are members of this forum that make their own cables that are every bit as good as the store bought ones, why not send them some business?

----------------

I like your thinking. I'm sure someone will post or PM.

dodger