Need Tube-PreAmp Recommendation

Gilbert

----------------

On 1/10/2005 6:32:09 PM Gilbert wrote:

What's an EXCELLENT pre-amp match up for an MC30 or MC240?

C11, C20, C22..... ??????????????????????????????????

----------------

I can whole-heartedly recommend a C-20. Also an MX-110. imho.

I find the detail, the stage and a sound I like. I've had C-20 and 240 with Original Heresys, LaScalas, Chorus IIs and Cornwall IIs. Had MC 30s for a while, enjoyed that. Only got rid of the 30s because of a need for money.

dodger

----------------

On 1/11/2005 11:28:13 AM dbflash wrote:

Audible Illusions M3A.

Less than a year old (bought from Upscale Audio 3/12/04) and only used for 3 months. Paid $1,900 will sell for $1,200.

Danny

----------------

I just did some quick research on the unit, and I'm interested in know some more. It is a highly regarded preamp, and can supposedly hold it's own against some very expensive big dogs.

Can you post some photo's of your preamp. And I'm also curious as to why your selling the unit. $1200 based on my research is a very good offer. Let me know.

Gilbert,

I don't have a camera, but if you look at any pictures of it is is the black unit.

I have taken the top cover off twice. To make sure the tubes were seated correctly and to test the dip switches. No scratches on either the power supply or the preamp itself.

I bought the preamp in March and loved it. It replaced a very modded AES A3.

Mark came out with the Peach in June of the same year. I wanted to hear what everyone was talking about so I bought one. I had the money and no girlfriend at the time.

They are both great units. I put the Peach into my system and placed the AI in the box. If someone wanted to buy a Peach I would roll the AI back into my system and not look back.

I am thinking about selling for 2 reasons:

Reason 1: I don't need 3 preamps. I will use the Peach with my VRD's and my AES with my Wrights. I can't see getting back into LP's anytime soon.

Reason 2: Beer and a woman. I was in alittle hole in the wall town in north Fl for 10 days. There is nothing to do but drink and read. After drinking a 1/2 of case of Corona I called my girlfriend and asked her if she had ever been to Italy. She said no and I said lets go the Saturday before Valentines day. Well here it is 30 days before I leave and I really could use the cash.

The price is very good. I don't like dealing. It comes with all the tubes, the manual and the original box. I will take it to a UPS store and have them put it in another box. It will be double boxed.

Danny

a Marantz 7C can be found from time to time for $2k, I am a Marantz lover....

C20 and C22 are popular preamps but I thought they sounded slightly veiled and "tubby" when I heard them (could be have the specific examples I heard).

There are some good modern preamps for $2k used but which one is for you will depend on feature set mostly, the McIntosh units had switching and tone controls that no one else can match these days. what features do you want?

regards,

tony

I forgot to mention the McIntosh C2200, this is a great sounding modern tube preamp and can be found from time to time for less than $3k....