SUPER DUPER OHMYGOD MAJOR SCORE!!!!!!

thebes

One original in perfect shape Marantz 8B tube amplifier for:

$50, that's 50 bucks, that's fifty schmloas, that's 50 ducats that's ten fins, that's one half a c-note.

YEAH FOR ME!!!!!!!!

This is the slow time in the painting biz right now so I hit a couple of estate sales this morning. Looking at a console, notice it's got Marantz stuff inside open a lower cabinent door and there it sits. A big bruiser with nice size tubes. They want $125 for the console. I ask the lady if I can can have just this piece because it's not part of the console so she says those magical words $50 bucks. Have no idea what I'm buying but, it's got tubes so I scoop it up and am out the door before somebody in the joint notices. This thing weighs a ton (57 lbs), got it the rear seat and I can feel my car sagging to the rear on the drive home.

Get online and google it and ohmygod it's worth $1500. Not a scratch on it and has 3 amperex ELl34 from Great Britian, one GE EL34 from Great Britian, two 6BH6 from Electronic and two GE 6BH6's. Pick up the phone and call Craig and after he gets through cursing me for be a lucky so and so, he walks me through how to power it up using a cd player and some disposable speakers in case anything goes wrong. Power it up and no smells, burning, tube blooms anything. Man am I pumped! (PS-special thanks to you Craig)

]

marantz8b.jpg

I'm going to let it burn it in for a couple of hours and then run it through my mains.

Now apparantly I need a tube pre to go with thing but again it's the slow time of the year, my quarterly taxes are due, all my busines insurance is up for renewal,plus this is going to have to go to Craig for a checkup, yadda yadda yadda. So I've looked at the Gon and see a Conrad Johson PV3 I might be able to stretch to, a couple of Dynaco Pas3's for about $300 and a EicoHF-85 for about 2 bills. I know absolutely nothing about this pre/amp stuff having only owned integrateds and receivers so will any of these fit the bill until I can save up for something better? I know I need a phono stage and I like volume controls, balance tone controls etc. but that's about it.

I know, I know, I know. Just why should we help that lucky bum, we should be speetting on him. But pleaaaaaaaaaaaase!

The Twins love it when I get this excited. I have to go breath through a paper bag right now so give a poor feller a hand, will ya?

post-14801-13819261129308_thumb.jpg

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thebes,

Get yours hands out of your pockets playing with the twins and check out the rest of the components in that console fast !! That baby is in incredible shape. I still say you should play it safe and send it here to be brought up on a variac 2.gif

Craig