SUPER DUPER OHMYGOD MAJOR SCORE!!!!!!

thebes

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I've biased it thanks to Guy, hooked it up to the main speakers (KG 5.2's with the Dean crossover mod). Have no pre so I'm running it through a Yammie 1110U which has dual power supplies and a volumne control (aside is it Friznik that has one of these got a drawer opening problem that needs help) dropped the Temptations "For Lovers Only" in -a great everything but the kitchen sink cd- and man I gotta tell ya it's impressive. Even though it has about the same wattage as the Craig rebuilt Scott 299(a) there's just more of, well, everything.

As Craig has pointed out elsewhere, and more recently Paul in the Sonic Impact thread, for audiophiles it's pretty much about that last 5%. I started this whole upgrade deal to get to "pretty good", because, quite frankly my ears are only "pretty good" but I'm thinking now my ears are a little better then I thought they were.

Hey Fish you think I'm gonna fall fall for the "little old lady" gambit, hah! (er, no hair you said, oh, oh)

If this keeps up I may have to shorten my signature (see below)

Still way pumped up, so cut me some slack if it sounds like I'm getting carried away. Super great to have some folks to share this with.

Obviously the whole listening experience will be the subject of a future novella, I'm thinking we haven't done Space Opera yet so how does "Thebes and

The Planet of the Amazon's" sound?

Poor, poor fini, he's probably out in the garage right now yelling at his consoles: Why, why, why, I coulda been a pretenda"

Well I've biased it thanks to Guy, hooked it up to the main speakers (KG 5.2's with the Dean crossover mod). Have no pre so I'm running it through a Yammie 1110U which has dual power supplies and a volumne control (aside is it Friznik that has one of these got a drawer opening problem that needs help) dropped the Temptations "For Lovers Only" in -a great everything but the kitchen sink cd- and man I gotta tell ya it's impressive. Even though it has about the same wattage as the Craig rebuilt Scott 299(a) there's just more of, well, everything.

As Craig has pointed out elsewhere, and more recently Paul in the Sonic Impact thread, for audiophiles it's pretty much about that last 5%. I started this whole upgrade deal to get to "pretty good", because, quite frankly my ears are only "pretty good" but I'm thinking now my ears are a little better then I thought they were.

Hey Fish you think I'm gonna fall fall for the "little old lady" gambit, hah! (er, no hair you said, oh, oh)

If this keeps up I may have to shorten my signature (see below)

Still way pumped up, so cut me some slack if it sounds like I'm getting carried away. Super great to have some folks to share this with.

Obviously the whole listening experience will be the subject of a future novella, I'm thinking we haven't done Space Opera yet so how does "Thebes and

The Planet of the Amazon's" sound?

Poor, poor fini, he's probably out in the garage right now yelling at his consoles: Why, why, why, I coulda been a pretenda"

Forgot to mention one thing, I wish I could drive this with one of Mark's Pre's, but it's totally beyond my means at the moment. But for those of your that have almost saved up enough his demo Peach is on ebay right now with, I think about two days to go. If you win it you are encouraged to donate it to the "Save the Thebes" fund.

----------------

On 1/14/2005 8:43:09 PM thebes wrote:

Forgot to mention one thing, I wish I could drive this with one of Mark's Pre's, but it's totally beyond my means at the moment. But for those of your that have almost saved up enough his demo Peach is on ebay right now with, I think about two days to go. If you win it you are encouraged to donate it to the "Save the Thebes" fund.

----------------

LOL!

Ok, NOW you are getting carried away!

Woo

Thebes,

Has the amp been modified for triode operation ? From the picture it looks to still be in UT so the amp is 30 watts and will have serious reserve power. The Marantz 8B no matter what mode of operation is going to best the little Scott that is a sure thing. The 299A is really a 14 or 15 watt amp max. Going to top notch seperates is always going to improve your sound. Remember your really listening to a very expensive and sought after amp that would cost you thousands to buy normally.

Craig

Triode? Well The Twins do have a cousin. From what I've read today they can be changed over to triode from what I understand is a relatively simple modification inside the case, but I have no idea what that brings to the table and I'd appreciate knowing what that is all about-I mean do I really need more power to drive Klipsch?

Jazzman, thanks and to my mind nothing can compete with Gary's Khorns that is still far and way the number one score of the century. I mean to me I still believe it is very much about "it's the quality of the speakers stupid". All the rest is incremental if you've got the best boxes to start with. I mean all that I've done here in upgrading over the last year is to give the speakers more of what they want. I haven't started out with great amps/TT's, players whatever and then got around to getting the speakers to fit the bill. If, for example, I could swap this even with Gary's Zebra Cornwalls I think I'd be way ahead of the game.

----------------

On 1/14/2005 10:16:33 PM thebes wrote:

Triode? Well The Twins do have a cousin. From what I've read today they can be changed over to triode from what I understand is a relatively simple modification inside the case, but I have no idea what that brings to the table and I'd appreciate knowing what that is all about-I mean do I really need more power to drive Klipsch?

----------------

thebes,

Triode is a very simple mod and I think you should try it. I think it will be the only way for you to decide whether you like it or not. Its not just about power its frequency response and over all tone. As far as more power to drive your klipsch............ well what do you think you just went to more power and obviously from your comments your liking it. So roll the twins in and see if they become more active with it 2.gif

Craig

"If, for example, I could swap this even with Gary's Zebra Cornwalls I think I'd be way ahead of the game."

Smilin is selling his zebra Corns with DeanG crossovers for a grand or so. If you sell your Marantz.........

Wait there is a great short story in this! I wonder if Henry would mind if I use his handle for a nom d' plum. O'HENRY!!!10.gif

Rick

Running it in Triode cuts the output power in half. The switch is simple but Thebes you do have some pretty big thumbs don't you? It requires unsoldering one lead of 4 resistors and resoldering that lead to a different terminal. If you need exact details I can go dig out my manual.

I had an 8B in for service at Audioclassics(before I knew about Craigh of course1.gif ). Anyway they have a real old timer George Melnyck who does most of the amp repairs. He asked why I had it in Triode. He didn't think it made a difference in sound and was definitely a fan of the more power the better, even with my Klipsch.

Larry and I modified my MkIIIs from UL to triode pretty easily. Not the neatest job in the world tying off those loose ends but we did it and it did make an improvement. Craig walked us through it in about 20 minutes if I remember correctly.

If/when you bring it over Sunday for the triple shootout, you can hear it with Mark's Blueberry.