SUPER DUPER OHMYGOD MAJOR SCORE!!!!!!

thebes

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just talked with Gary -- we have the extraordinary opportunity this weekend to compare the 8B, the Mac 240 he just picked up to try out, and Craig's Mk IIIs -- on his Blueberry/Cream and K-horns!!! Cancel the NFL playoffs until further notice!! Gary, where does the line form up in your neighborhood? Anyone need flight and bus schedules?

Larry

----------------

On 1/14/2005 5:04:45 PM mdeneen wrote:

That is incredible! Looks like it has never been ON! Neever seen the underside so completely clean. Jeeeeze, you should be saying your prayers tonight.

mdeneen
----------------

the blue capacitors are not original so it probably had been tweaked at some point.

GREAT SCORE!!!!!!!!!!!

BUT WAIT!!!!!

DO NOT "LET IT BURN-IN" FOR A FEW HOURS"!!!!!

DANGER! DANGER!

This being an old tube amp it may not have been on for a long time. NEVER just turn an old tube power amp on after its been idle for years (even 3-6 months is pushing it)

The tubes need to be pulled out. Use a variac to gradually increase the voltage to the power supply so the power supply capacitors can "re-form". You can also use a low wattage (10-15 watt, 25 at most) light bulb, wired in SERIES (in an extension cord for instance). When the bulb's glow grows dim, the caps have been "re-formed". The series connected light bulb also acts as a current limiter/fuse should anything blow out and avoid catastrophic failure. I use both methods at the same time.

Brings a tear to my eye. Looks just like the beautiful 8B I found last September. I ended up geting a great deal but paid way more than $50. I'm still giddy every time I fire mine up.

And as everyone is saying - make a beeline straight back for that piece of furniture. There could have been a lovely 7C tube pre/pro with it (as Guy posted) or some other pre. Mine was mated to a Marantz 7T, solid state pre/pro, and I love that find as well.

Congrats - you will just love this amp as much as I love mine. Welcome to the vintage Marantz family.

I am also confident that it will represent itself quite nicely up against the MAC, should that take place (you might all be a bit surprised).

Carl.

You guys are right, I got so carried away I did not really check out the console that well. The receiver/amplifier section screws were off so I lifted it up slightly and and just saw what looked like a carboard type box around the guts and figured it couldn't be tubes because there was no way for the heat to escape. I'm kicking myself now and will be there first thing in the morning and if it's there I'm buying and taking my chances.

Guy the receiver did look a little like that but I'm not sure that's exact.

I agree with you it probably had been in the shop at some point because only 3 of the tubes are the Amperex. Are they good tubes and stock on these things by the way? Also how do I bias these things. Do I adjust to the spot on the meter that says bias or to the little white spot? You obviously got one of these puppies so do you think the Dynaco Pas or Eico would be a good option if the console is gone?

I guess it's kinda too late now Arto the thing has already been on for about 3 hours.

You should of also seen the speakers this guy had, they were the size of houses and were Echo or something, but somebody got to them before I did so I didn't pay much attention.

Hey Ken, I got a little money left over from this morning so I'm offering $200 for the Chorus II's.3.gif I may even be willing to pay for shipping. Just think you can double your money!

Just went out for dinner and bought a lottery ticket-why not, this could be my day. If I win you can all come to my yacht and help we set up the sound system

Yes folks Larry, Gary and I are going to have a wee special time this Sunday.

Man am I pumped.

Thebes,

The 4th tube (GE) is made by Amperex too. These tubes are great.

In order to bias the amp you need to:

1. remove the black plastic caps that cover the bias trim potentiometers.

2. power up the amp and wait for 30 minutes.

3. turn volume control of the preamp to off (no signal)

4. select the appropriate tube that you'd like to bias and use the selector on the right end side to check the bias

5. read the bias on the meter and adjust the bias til it reaches the line.

6. repeat 4-5 to each and every tube until all of them biased the same.

7. recheck after 1 hour (don't forget to turn preamp's volume off).

You can find a copy of the owner's manual with biasing instructions here: http://www.hifilit.com/hifilit/Marantz/marantz.htm

I once bought an old "console" filled with McIntosh gear. It was at an estate sale in Palm Desert, CA about 10-12 years ago. The amp was a 2105 solid state amp that I promtly sold, but the OTHER stuff included an MR-71 tuner (still have it), and MI-3 performance scope (still have it) and a C-22 preamp (still have it). Got the whole lot for a few hundred. Not NEARLY as good a deal as this one!

Seriously, go back and look at the other gear!!!

HOLD IT RIGHT THERE,I had a unit just like that one that was a.... kidnapped,yea thats it, waaaaay back.I always suspected the neighbor lady(did she have hair?) with the empty console.Anyway,I will seek no further action if you will send it(insured)ASAP.2.gifThat's a great find and a great story,hope it gives you as much pleasure as finding it did.

Absolutely wonderful, thebes! I was going to post something on the Fisher console I've brought back to life with Clipped & Shorn this afternoon, but it'd be like peeing in the ocean! Congratulations!

You're not going to become some kind of Hi-Fi snob now, are you?2.gif