• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

----------------

On 1/20/2005 1:03:22 PM D0N wrote:

dodger I was kidding with timmi. I don't have any CWs.

----------------

What! I already sent the money! I really thought I checked things carefully this time: I consulted my horoscopist, meditated staring in my coffeecup AND refreshed the Klipsch page to see if the offer was real and honest! 2.gif

----------------

On 1/20/2005 12:55:41 PM dodger wrote:

For Timm and Matt:

The offer was made yesterday by a Fellow Forum Member to actually go inspect MC 30s if you see them on ebay. Thus avoiding what happened once before.

Greg is a long-standing trustworthy Member, I could recommend his Cornwalls. I do not know Don yet, but would be willing to speak with him.

So, the point is if something comes up that you wish to find out about, if near me, I would gladly do it, and I believe most other Forum Members would also. That includes Speakers as well as amplifiers.

dodger

----------------

Thanks! That ofcourse is the way to go. That's what makes this a great forum. If anyone is looking for wooden shoes, you know I would do the same thing for you!9.gif

----------------

On 1/20/2005 12:16:46 PM Frzninvt wrote:

Timmi, that is a K-77M tweeter in that Cornwall.

The midrange driver looks to be the K-57K and it probably has the composite K-600 Horn. I did not think that the '83's would have the K-57K but they may have started introducing them earlier. The crossover network is likely the B-3 version.

Nice looking with the Walnut Oil finish and cane grills. No takers on eBay even twice around that is surprising.

----------------

Which leaves me with the question how these cornwalls would compare sonically with the II's of after 1985, leaving the x-over out of the equasion. Let's say both equipped with for instance Dean's homework.

----------------

On 1/20/2005 4:15:51 PM Timmikid wrote:

----------------

On 1/20/2005 12:16:46 PM Frzninvt wrote:

Timmi, that is a K-77M tweeter in that Cornwall.

The midrange driver looks to be the K-57K and it probably has the composite K-600 Horn. I did not think that the '83's would have the K-57K but they may have started introducing them earlier. The crossover network is likely the B-3 version.

Nice looking with the Walnut Oil finish and cane grills. No takers on eBay even twice around that is surprising.

----------------

Which leaves me with the question how these cornwalls would compare sonically with the II's of after 1985, leaving the x-over out of the equasion. Let's say both equipped with for instance Dean's homework.

----------------

I don't know how they would sound with Dean's x-over.

But, to my hearing I have found the Cornwall II to be more open, lacks the "horn path" sound.

Bass also seems tighter.

But I did hear one pair of Cornwall Is that I found to be very good.

For the most part though I prefer the IIs.

It is a shame that you can't hear Greg's. They look great. He's also been around enough to have no worry of being taken.

Don's Cornwalls are the most airy I have ever heard. Almost as if they're not there. No scratches or damage is visible. It's almost as if you could see through them.3.gif9.gif

But Greg's are a serious contender, without a doubt.

dodger

----------------

On 1/20/2005 5:27:52 PM Matthorns wrote:

I only have K-51 mid horns in my corns????

Yet all the specs that i have read say that there should be a K-55

Can anyone shed some light on this for me??

----------------

Im still Puzzled by this I cant work it out

15.gif

Walnut Cornwall k.jpg

They have the B-3 crossovers.

I was very surprised that these didn't sell on ebay too. I've sold about $40,000 worth of audio equipment on ebay over the last 2 years, so I feel like I've got a pretty good handle on what items should sell for. I know I had these priced right, with good pictures a good auction description, etc...

Something is strange about ebay right now, I've had several items recently that just didn't move the way I would have expected. Maybe in a few weeks when the income tax return checks start coming in!

By the way, that means that ebay has made about $1500 from me in the last 2 years! Not including what they made from me on Paypal fees. Pretty slick business they got going on.

Greg

post-11090-13819261214338_thumb.jpg

I owned a older set of Cornwalls for many years. I also ran a Klipsch sub to compliment the bass. This last year I sold the Cornwalls and sub, and bought a new set of RF7's and a new 12" Klipsch sub. Same house, same room, same amp and cd player. The RF7's are much cleaner, smoother, and less fatiguing than my Corns ever were. The bass is much tighter and more clear. I guess I'm just the one and only non-heritage lover here. Other than the K-horns, in my opinion the RF7 is the new sheriff in town.

JPM---Keen as you are on direct-radiating bass and mids with horn tweets you might be a perfect candidate for Tannoy Dual Concentrics, Altec 604s or some Radian co-axes.

Cornwall afficiandos should be aware that ole PWK himself considered the tweeter used in the Cornwall II a far better performer than the K-77. Klipsch engineers also considered the integrated Hepnerite K52-K57 or whatever they called it midrange a better performer for the Cornwall than the earlier horn-driver combos such as the K-55--K-600.

Of course people like what they like regardless of the designer's intent and views. And why not.

I wonder if it would matter much to hog out the holes for the mid-horn and tweeter, and mount them from the front of the baffle?

At least the horn. You got that mid-horn curving out to it's flange, then it promptly hits a 90 degree straight 3/4" angle from the plywood baffle.

Wouldn't that effect mid-horn response somewhat?

My CW IIs have more high frequency detail than my Cornwalls. How much of this is due to the aging B crossovers in the Cornwalls, I am not sure. I'm going to recap the Cornwalls with film and foil caps to find out. This should tell me how much of the difference is due to the K-79 vs. the K-77.

The K-52 is supposed to not suffer from the 9KHz flare like the K-55 (no P-trap required).