My K-horn setup.

stimpy451

I hit them with BLO last night and fell asleep listening to Hendrix at the Isle of White, woke up with a really bad headache. Killed some brain cells, jst nt sre whch ones. They look dry again.

I'm pretty sure I've decided to move to a house with a large open floorplan to accomodate these speakers. Also looking at building my first tube amp. Want to go low buck - thinking along the lines of the 2A3 Bottlehead, but not the kit, definitely want to homebrew. How do class A triode 300Bs do with the k-horn?

I love the articles at www.enjoythemusic.com, except that Blackie Pagoda guy's attempt at freeform poetry about Johnny Thunders.

Pete

15.gif

post-17080-138192612686_thumb.jpg

Yup, those Khorns would be happier either farther apart, or toed-out a bit. False corners would help in that regard, iffen you can't get them on the long wall. Maybe somebody will post a pic of Dean or Edster's setups to give you a glimpse of what's possible there. Of course, big house makes all that a moot point...

Re the 2A3/300B thing, much of that depends on your requirements. Many folks are ecstatic with SE triodes, even in large rooms. Others insist on more headroom or higher levels than even properly designed 2-8W amps can provide. Ir certainly wouldn't hurt to try SET, and if it is woefully inadequate, the kit can likely be sold for little loss, or moved to a second system for fun. Either way, you'll sure learn a lot in the process.

Dean,

Just noticed the photographs you posted have false corners. Does the bass lack in this setup or is it just as good as running in actual corners.

I would imagine the bass would be slightly hindered because of having (what looks like) plywood instead concrete.

-F

Does it "lack" bass? No, not in the least bit. It's solid, with about as much impact and control one would expect from a pair of Klipschorns. Could it be better? Sure, probably. Long wall setup, with solid corners along the outside wall of the house. However, most of us live in a world of compromises, and if you want Klipschorns, and only have a short wall -- then this is the way to go. Of course, there is much more going on with my false corners than meets the eye, and even though "the wings" vibrate a little -- they don't "sing". The big advantage here is that I now have flexibility in placement, and my sweet spot is 15 feet in front of the Klipschorns -- instead of five feet in front of them.

http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/view.asp?mode=viewtopic&topicID=51654

----------------

On 1/21/2005 8:36:46 PM stimpy451 wrote:

IAlso looking at building my first tube amp. Want to go low buck - thinking along the lines of the 2A3 Bottlehead, but not the kit, definitely want to homebrew. How do class A triode 300Bs do with the k-horn?

----------------

If interested in a really nice 300B class A SET amp, you might check building a pseudo-clone one the classic Model 91A. Brian Cherry from DIY HiFi will put out this amp in kit form soon.

According to me, the Model 91A is still one of the best SET 300B design out there.

You might check this post on AA concerning this kit soon to be released.

http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/tubediy/messages/71898.html.