Spiders, Mice, Ladybugs, Birds, Snakes and Airplanes

ooteedee

While building LaScalas for the Barn.....it occured to me that critters may find the inside of the Speakers a cozy place to live. Like mice, bugs, etc.

Seriously!

I'm not too worried about someone moving into the mid/high bin. That's easily cleanable.

I'm more worried about somebody getting into the woofer from the motorboard opening. Like a ton of Ladybugs. Or worse...a hungry mouse with a taste for paper cones.

Besides blaring speed metal music 24 hours a day to drive away any critters ........would a small piece of window screen material....stapled over the outside of the woofer motorboard opening be out of the question?

Window screening shouldn't muffle sound, right?

Thanks.

PS: I want to avoid just making a fabric covering for the front of the speaker. The design of the LaScala is just too cool for that.

PPS: Also, if 2 to 3 hundred ladybugs DID cozy up next to the woofer, how would that effect frequency response? Assuming each ladybug weighed .0002 grams and had a bio-organic density of .25/litres?

1.gif

Hehehe-I would not think that "stored speakers" in barns or the like would be a common occurence, though believe me you, in the hunt for dead arcade games, I have been in many a hot, dark, web-infested, dank, full-o'-critters warehouses. Interesting sometimes what you find in these games - mud dauber nests, huge webs, live spiders, old mouse nests, dead critters, etc.

Popbumper

----------------

On 1/24/2005 3:38:31 PM ooteedee wrote:

1/4" screening?

1/4" thick?

----------------

What?! No, when you buy screens it is designated by the GAP size in the screen itself. Hence, 1/4" screen has a gap size of 1/4" which is too small between the wires for a mouse to get through.

DM

D-Man is talking about what is called hardware cloth. It is like huge screen with the 1/4 inch spacing. It won't change the sound. Lots of folks use it to make tops for critter cages (mice in aquarium tanks, etc). It won't keep out the ladybugs though. You need something a little smaller for them.

You could have the hardware cloth in the back part of the horn (if you crease it it is very stiff) and cover with grill cloth.

Marvel

While refinishing my unfinished K-horns which had no grill cloth or protective screening on the bass bin I noticed what looked like mouse terds.

I opened up the speaker and looked for debris but there was none except the terds. I vacummed them out (not very many and that was 40 years of accumallation) and speculated that Mr. Klipsch sprayed some real bad stuff in there to keep them out. I fully expected to see some little beedy eyes starring back at me. Then again maybe they didn't like loud music. There were no chewings, no damage of any kind. Yeah, I know, they were classical mice.

JJK

It was time to fasten the bass bin back into place yesterday....and I found a roll of black, plastic window screen inmy basement. I stapled one layer over the motorboard opening on the outside of the doghouse. Kind of ugly...staples and all, but it should thrwart a few bugs for awhile.

I realised last night I made a mistake in assembly. I glued, clamped and screwed the bass bin backs in place. (Like I have with every joint so far.) I should have screwed but not glued. Easy access to the bin from that side would have been nice in the future. Oh well. Maybe it doesn't matter.

Onward.... and upward.

Mounting the driver and fastening the bass bin tops and sides are next.

Stay tuned for further details.