Will i regret buying for looks??

AndrewA300

i have about $700 to spend on a pair of speakers. From what i've read on here, the older stuff, like the cornwalls or Forte's seem the most impressive as far as sound. The only thing is that the looks of the RF-35's are one of the best looking speakers i have seen a while and will look much better in my house. do you think the sound quality of the older stuff is worth not being as happy with the looks?

I know its oppinion, but from what i've read on here, i'd value any input.

Thanks!

Hi

I own the rf3II similiar to the rf-35. I am very pleased with them. I really dont the look of the other lines. Although the la scala is very nice looking. You need to buy something that will make you happy. If you buy fortes and hate looking at them, you will probably not enjoy them. Listen and look and let your ears decide. Although the sound really should be your deciding factor..but I agree that looks are important too.

My 2 cents

I'd counsel to go with the classics.

For less than that money you can get some Forte II which are, IMHO, very excellent. You might even get some Cornwalls or very beat up K-Horns if you will chip in another few hundred. Forte (I) are no pikers either.

If you don't like the classics that you find, you can probably sell them for about what you paid for them.

As others have said, speakers are for sound, not for appearance.

Of course if you really have a yen for something, maybe it is best to get it out of your system. Only you can tell.

Gil

Gil

Depends AndrewA300 on if those older speakers will drive you nuts looking at them. It's the sound that really counts. But appearance has something do with it. I don't think you will regret getting Klipsch reference series no matter how you look at it. Save the boxes and if you ever descide it's time for the heritage line sell em. How's that? Plus if you plan on doing the home theater thing it's just going to be alot easier for you to get a center and surrounds down the road sticking with the reference line. Alot of people have to make a custom center for the heritage line. I am sure it's well worth it, but if you are just starting out( not sure if you are). I think you would be making a wise choice with the reference line. I have thought the same thing, and it's just not practical to have a heritage setup in my living room (maybe a heresy. Iv'e been measuring). Now if I had a dedicated home theater room I would go heritage( maybe I love the rf-7's though). You will never regret going heritage just so you know. I doubt you will ever regret going reference. I don't regret going synergy so there you have it. I do regret burning my synergy boxes though.

Many 'reference' are NOT real wood, they are vinyl covered. If you would consider this fine furniture to go in the best rooms in your home, be my guest. Personally, I like the walnut veneer AND sound of my cornwalls the best. The RB5's I purchased for use as surrounds are of the vintage that still used real wood veneer. I don't see how anyone would want to pay large sums of money for 'plastic' speakers, IMHO.

Michael

Forgive me for being obtuse, I am not saying that the XYZ speakers are ugly. But, I am saying appearances do matter, even for something you listen to.

You dont want to have speakers that look completely out of place. If they match your room... great

I agree with Tqlla.

Looks are very important, in my opinion. If it werent, then why would speaker companies spend so much time and effort designing a beautiful speaker? Just put them in a box and call it a day.

Of course, sound should be of the utmost importance... but sacrificing looks for sound is something I cannot do. It MUST have both. If the speaker was nice looking but sounded bad, it wouldnt be my choice either.

So to sum things up:

You are in a dilly of a pickle. Heritage vs Reference

(If it were me, I'd go Ref35, I've heard them and they sound nice.) 9.gif

GO FOR LOOKS...100%...I did.

Yep, I didn't like cheap plastic and particle board speakers with cheap veneers , so I went with hand made, furniture grade cabinets with beautiful, matching bookend grained hardwood veneer built with pride by true master craftsmen in Hope Arkansas.....Oiled Walnut Cornwalls!!!

And besides looking better, they have serious SLAMMMM.

9.gif9.gif9.gif9.gif9.gif9.gif

reference verses heritage? hmmmmmmm? thats not even in the same league, especially the two you are comparing. will you lose in the end? no doubt! you cant even compare the cornwall to anything reference except the 7, and than the 7 does not have the bass response the corn does

I bought these because I liked the way that they looked. They were the first and only ones that I have ever heard and were hooked up to a cheap SS receiver and in the middle of the room. Sounded awful but I bought them anyway. Needless to say, I have been very happy with the way they sound!!

I am not familiar with the speakers that you are considering, but you should be able to get a set of La Scallas for a few hundred more if you hunt ($1100 to $1200).

Do you like the way the speakers sound? Do they fit in your room? (I keep having a lot of trouble getting correct corners).

Chris

post-10861-13819261358684_thumb.jpg