Cambridge Audio Azur 640 CD Player

jpm

I'll let you guys know. Evidently I have to burn it in for 36 hours, so I'll tell you what I think after a few days. I'll be honest, I question whether I'll hear $525 worth of difference, so it'll be a pleasant surprise if it sounds as good as most folks say it will.

----------------

On 2/2/2005 9:44:53 PM jpm wrote:

I'll let you guys know. Evidently I have to burn it in for 36 hours, so I'll tell you what I think after a few days. I'll be honest, I question whether I'll hear $525 worth of difference, so it'll be a pleasant surprise if it sounds as good as most folks say it will.

----------------

I'd like to hear your review as well. Maybe after a few days of listening to it, you could go back to the Denon for comparison.

IMG_0054_5.jpg

I bought the azur 640C several months ago, replacing an older AMC CD8b. I'm not one for writing reviews, but there is definately an improvement in it's dynamics and clarity due to its 24-bit/192kHz Wolfson Scottish made DAC, three seperate power supplies for DA circuitry, audio filter stages, and regulator stages, and its advanced proprietary data clock frequency oscillator for extremely low jitter. Musical details are more distictive and clearer than through my AMC; for the budget-minded like me, the azur 640C is a clear best buy in its price class!

Cat vibration dampening is an option, natch.4.gif

post-11084-13819261572894_thumb.jpg

In mid December I bought the 640C and CA's Azur 640A integrated amp to signal and power a pair of Chorus II's in my study library. The 640C is probably the best sounding CD player that I have yet to hear. The inner detail on very delicate packages is fabulous. The weight and fullness of the bass is prodigious. For my purchase price of $475, I highly recommend this player for anyone needing a stand alone CD only player.

Well, I got her home and hooked up today. At the advice of the good folks at Hawthorn Stereo in Seattle, I also unplugged my amp, tuner, and sub from the Isobar surge protector I had hooked up. I installed a 6 outlet adapter directly to the standard two outlet in my wall. This is a direct source without anything else on the run. I switched the bypass on my PMA2000 amp. thereby running source direct.

First thing to remember is that Cambridge Audio recommends 36 hours of burn in time before serious auditioning. Even the manual confirms this. I fired up "Tommy" by the Who, track 10 (instrumental) and was astounded. Too much bass! OK, I turned OFF my RW12 sub. WOW!!! Even new out of the box, not burned in, the sound is incredible. As others have mentioned, it sucks the sound from a disc. The sound stage is awesome, the shrill of the Denon CDP highs are totally gone. The bass of the RF7's is absolutely kick-***! Tight, accurate, heart thumping. I doubt I ran over 85dbs too. Not screaming loud like my high school days, just nice and with authority.

The guys at Hawthorn swear up and down that the biggest improvement one can make to a stereo is the CDP (assuming you have somewhat decent stuff to start with). Hey, I've got nothing overly special... probably everything totals $4,500.

Anyway, I'm really anxious to hear it after 36 hours. I'll let you know. I'm not one of those guys that spends money foolishly. I'm also not one to spend a bunch on a piece of gear and then swear up and down it sounds tons better (if in fact it really sounds no different.) I kid you not, dumping my Japanese CDP was the best move since upgrading from the RF35's to the RF7's.

Later

Congrats on your preliminary results. Even though much of the discussion in the prior thread revolved around your integrated Denon, I hoped that you would try a different CDP player first since that seemed to me like your obvious weak link in the chain (before going the more exotic route - pre or amp, etc.)

I still also recommend Dean's x-over mod, if possible. But, its nice to hear that the shrillness is gone.

Carl.

----------------

On 2/3/2005 5:16:53 PM jpm wrote:

I'm not one of those guys that spends money foolishly. I'm also not one to spend a bunch on a piece of gear and then swear up and down it sounds tons better (if in fact it really sounds no different.) I kid you not, dumping my Japanese CDP was the best move since upgrading from the RF35's to the RF7's.

Later

----------------

That's something we all understand. We own Klipsch after all, probably the best value in Hi-Fi speakers. Enjoy...as I'm sure you will.

JR

It's a monster of a remote, that's for sure (with its aluminum top-plate).

The cones are just black chrome solid brass spikes, using double-stick tape right on the azur's original feet. Bought 'em from PartsExpress.com for about $19.95 plus shipping. These spikes are actually meant to be used for their subwoofer enclosures, but they work under components just as well.

Enjoy your new azur 640C, jpm...it really is a sweet player, and it does get better sounding with time.