from Klipschorns to four RF-7 speakers... Wow!!!

ProStereo

About 10 months ago I went from Klipschorn to Klipsch RF-7 and was very

shocked that I would ever make this move. Here's the story:

I've been hearing and reading great things about those Klipsch RF-7.

I thought there is no way I'm going to give up my Klipschorn for a pair

because I've already got the best speaker in the World to me, but I

kept reading some saying they actually liked the RF-7 over the Klipschorn

and then I read David Bardes review on the RF-7 in Vacuum Tube Valley

magazine and that really got my interest after he actually prefers the

RF-7 to his Klipschorn. I thought, there is no way! He goes on to say

compared to the Klipschorn that the RF-7 has far superior imaging, better

bass, and treble extension, and that he heard details that he hadn't in the Klipschorn, that it was very impressive as many speakers sound like toys when compared to the Klipschorns. The Klipschorns still sounded bigger, but this is a warm fuzzy big, and not the focused image that the RF-7's convey, and if anything, the RF-7 could produce a punchier, more dynamic sound than my corner Klipschorns.

After reading this and talking with some other guys who went from Klipschorns

to the RF-7, I decided to make the plunge and get a pair. They sounded

amazing when I heard them at the audio store, but after mine came in and I set

them up at home, WOW!! They sounded even better, a lot better than the

audio store. I was very impressed. I spent about three months comparing

between the Klipschorn and RF-7. I decided to sell my Klipschorns, and

after I sold them, I went and bought another pair of RF-7. Having four RF-7 speakers is truly amazing. Now the BIG sound of the Klipschorn is back again but with all the RF-7 benefits! A BIG "WOW FACTOR" that would have to be

experienced to believe, just absolutely stunning!!!!

It blows me away every time I hear them. The bass is much better in the

RF-7 than it ever was with the Klipschorn. I never thought I would ever

give my Klipschorns up, but it only took another Klipsch product to do it.

I'm very pleased. Klipsch really did a great job with their efforts with

the RF-7! It really shows their great traditional expertise that Klipsch is

known for. I found David Bardes review to be almost identical to my evaluations between the Klipschorn and RF-7. The RF-7's just all out has

a much better focus and inner detail that I just didn't get from my Klipschorns and sound very accurate, and bass is tight, taut, and with resolution

that the Klipschorn just can't compete with, but the Klipschorn is older

technology so given that, it is understandable.

Please note: These are my findings and only my own findings, to other ears

they may vary, but to these ears.... I am very pleased and only wanted to

share my views as I've been very curious about the RF-7 compared to the

Klipschorn for a long time now, and I have put it to rest for myself. If this

is helpful to others seeking the same, I hope it has been helpful to you!2.gif

1 more question 4 RFs vs 2 Khorns??? How did they sound 2RFs vs. 2 Khorns? You can not compare 2 channel to 4 channel.

Most on this forum are not going to be running 4 RFs but rather 1 set. Room size alone is a big restriction. Often 2 speakers in a room is to much. I know you mentioned it before but what was your opinion when comparing 2 channel alone?

I already discovered this, so I know what you are talking about.

I have the Klipsch RF-7 too. I really like them and friends and

family get so awed over them when they hear them.

My Dad had the Klipschorn. After he heard my RF-7 he actually

was thinking about getting a pair and selling the Klipschorn.

I told him if he gives me the Klipschorns, I would go out and

buy him a pair of RF-7. I really wanted his Klipschorns! They

are in true mint condition and I was always in awe of them growing

up hearing them. I bought Dad the RF-7 and got them Klipschorns.

Wow was I happy. Now I've been trying to talk Dad out of the RF-7

pair to give him back the Klipschorns but he won't do it.

I'm seriously thinking about selling them and getting another RF-7

pair. I told this to Dad and he says " sale them, I don't care".

He really loves the RF-7 and loves those copper color cones! So

do I! The RF-7 have great looks and the build quality is nothing

to laugh at, very high quality indeed and nearly 100 pounds in weight

each.

Congrats on your RF-7's, I really love how mine sound too! I tried

selling the Klipschorn on a local classified and got nothing. I don't

want to go ebay for them as the shipping would cost a fortune and need

to sell them locally. I hope I sell them soon because I'm really got

the itch for that secound pair of RF-7.

During my evaluation between the Klipschorn and RF-7, I only compared to 1-set each.

So I only compared 1-pair of Klipschorn to 1-pair of RF-7. I didn't get the second

pair of RF-7 until I sold the Klipschorns. It's the inner detail and resolution

that I really like in the RF-7, it has much better imaging than the Klipschorn, the

RF-7's focus more in, as if the person is right there singing in the mic to you.

The Klipschorn spread out the vocals too much that it doesn't sound as realistic.

Some of the audio mags have said the newer technology speakers are focusing in more

for the soundstage. It gets it more to real life. My room size for the Klipschorns are

perfect for it, according to Klipsch. I've tried different rooms in the house and

places I've lived in the past. For myself, I still prefer the RF-7. I never thought I

would but it's just how things are now. I know many Klipschorn fans will feel

different, believe me..... I know, I was once there too, but it's different for me now.

We all like different things the way we hear them so I don't expect every one will agree

with mine. If I read this a year ago, I would have said Yea right, what a knucklehead but

now I've experienced it for myself so it's different for me now. The Klipschorn's are

great speakers and I've always LOVED mine. My bond with them will be missed!

Kevin I am serious about the trade. I have enough room for only 2 sets of speakers. Having 3 left me with no more room so I had to get rid of the RF7s or Khorns. Just so happened that the teak Khorns sold 1st. I am very sad they are leaving. I really wanted to get rid of the RFs 1st then I would have had no problem. Things just did not work out that way. So if you were at all serious PM me and lets get the deal done.

----------------

On 2/4/2005 6:20:01 PM Dylanl wrote:

Kevin I am serious about the trade. I have enough room for only 2 sets of speakers. Having 3 left me with no more room so I had to get rid of the RF7s or Khorns. Just so happened that the teak Khorns sold 1st. I am very sad they are leaving. I really wanted to get rid of the RFs 1st then I would have had no problem. Things just did not work out that way. So if you were at all serious PM me and lets get the deal done.

----------------

Ah, talk is cheap, but will he actually make the trade? It will be interesting to see how things unfold. Potentially, everyone will be happy.

Kevin, if you were going to trade with your father, make the trade with Dylan here. He will appreciate the K-horn and you will apppreciate the 4 RF7's. I find forum members to be a good crowd.

From my experience, I have never experienced the true potential of my K-horns as I have never had perfect corners. They actually are kind of a pain, but I like 'em.

Chris

Both great but different. The answer is to have both. One has the expansive, enveloping soundstage, slamming bass, and midrange power -- the other has the hair trigger transients, exceptional HF transparency, and a quick sounding tight bass. I love 'em both, and picking one over the other is like trying to choose between a NOS '63 Split Window Vette and a '05 Mustang.

----------------

On 2/4/2005 6:31:37 PM D-MAN wrote:

It sounds to me like you have just achieved a better match with your space with the RF-7's.

Klipschorns have much more elaborate setup issues than simply putting them in the corners.

DM
2.gif

----------------

This is pretty much what I think as well. With Klipschorns, the room is the primary factor for overall sound quality. Because they need to go into corners, the room dimensions will affect the mode distribution and consequently the bass performance between 20 and 250 Hz.

If you have a room of unfavorable dimensions, the RF7 can conceivably sound better than the Klipschorn. In the right room, however, the Klipschorn will walk all over the RF7, IMHO. How can you compete with a huge folded horn like the Klipschorn's?

Like in real estate (location, location, location), it's "room, room, room" for the Klipschorn.

Music Hall MMF-7 Turntable w/ Goldring Eroica H MC

Njoe Tjoeb 4000 CDP with 24 bit/192 KHz Upsampling

Wright Sound WPP-100C Phono Stage

JF Lessard Pantheon 6SN7 SRPP Preamp w/ RCA 5R4GY & Sylvania 6SN7

JF Lessard Horus Parafeed Cobalt 2A3 SET Monoblocks w/ Tung Sol 5687 & AVVT 2A3

1976 KCBR Klipschorns with ALK Crossovers

Gear Online: Two Channel & Home Theater Systems

----------------

On 2/5/2005 8:39:14 AM Chris Robinson wrote:

----------------

On 2/4/2005 6:31:37 PM D-MAN wrote:

It sounds to me like you have just achieved a better match with your space with the RF-7's.

Klipschorns have much more elaborate setup issues than simply putting them in the corners.

DM
2.gif

----------------

This is pretty much what I think as well. With Klipschorns, the room is the primary factor for overall sound quality. Because they need to go into corners, the room dimensions will affect the mode distribution and consequently the bass performance between 20 and 250 Hz.

If you have a room of unfavorable dimensions, the RF7 can conceivably sound better than the Klipschorn. In the right room, however, the Klipschorn will walk all over the RF7, IMHO. How can you compete with a huge folded horn like the Klipschorn's?

Like in real estate (location, location, location), it's "room, room, room" for the Klipschorn.

Music Hall MMF-7 Turntable w/ Goldring Eroica H MC

Njoe Tjoeb 4000 CDP with 24 bit/192 KHz Upsampling

Wright Sound WPP-100C Phono Stage

JF Lessard Pantheon 6SN7 SRPP Preamp w/ RCA 5R4GY & Sylvania 6SN7

JF Lessard Horus Parafeed Cobalt 2A3 SET Monoblocks w/ Tung Sol 5687 & AVVT 2A3

1976 KCBR Klipschorns with ALK Crossovers

Gear Online:

----------------

Couldn't agree more. Went from Lascalas to K-horns in my listening room and went back to Lascalas. The only place to put the K-horns just didn't work out. Now I've learned about false corners and wonder if that wouldn't have cured my ills. 14.gif Does anyone have a set of K-horns for about 500 bills? 3.gif No? Oh well, live and learn.1.gif Glad you found some speakers you love. Randy

----------------

On 2/5/2005 1:56:22 AM DeanG wrote:

Both great but different. The answer is to have both. One has the expansive, enveloping soundstage, slamming bass, and midrange power -- the other has the hair trigger transients, exceptional HF transparency, and a quick sounding tight bass. I love 'em both, and picking one over the other is like trying to choose between a NOS '63 Split Window Vette and a '05 Mustang. ----------------

Dean, you serious? I'd take the Vette any day of the week. Not even close.

That being said, and with the proper corners, I'd gladly take the Khorn over the RF-7. The RF-7 is undoubtedly a great preformer like most Klipsch speakers, but I prefer the Khorn overall in my limited experience with each. At least at this point in my life anyway. But who knows, I could change my mind as I often do. 2.gif JMHO

I'll provide a more extensive review of each once I own both models. 9.gif