RF-7 vs RB-75

paulk

Hello all, I am new to this board. I am building a 7.1 home theater in my house and was wondering which speakers I should use for my mains. I will be using the room for movies 95% of the time with the odd music listening session. I plan on using an RC-7 and 4 RS-7s for the rest of the speakers but cant decide if RB-75s or RF-7s will suite this set-up better.

Does anybody have any thoughts??

Paul

Welcome to the forum!!!

The RB-75 and RF-7 share the same horn tweeter. The RF-7s have much better bass extension. If you have a capable subwoofer, the bass extension is not as important.

The RF-7s need an amplifier that can drive low impedance loads. Without the capable amp, the RF-7s will have less defined bass and a weaker mid-range.

The RB-75 was auditioned against RC-7s by a board member, m00n. He found that the RC-7s outperformed the RB-75s.

If you have room, go with the RF-7s IMO. They are speakers with major slam for movies and can play most music with very good sound quality.

Bill

First, weelcome to the forum, Paul!

Well, it depends on your needs. If you have space and budged, go with the rf7, if you have a shelf and/or are on tight budged, go with the rb75. Add a good sub (rsw12/15) and you can't go wrong. Both are outstanding speakers and will match the rest of your speakers very well.

Personally I would not use the rb75 if I have to put them on stands as they take as much floor space as the rf7 then.

Sounds like RF-7s are the way to go. Since I will be putting these speakers behind the screen there will only be about 14 inches of clearance between the back of the speaker and the wall, will that be enough room??

Also I was thinking about using another RF-7 for the center channel. Has anybody got any thoughts on this?

Paul

----------------

On 2/10/2005 10:55:09 AM paulk wrote:

Sounds like RF-7s are the way to go. Since I will be putting these speakers behind the screen there will only be about 14 inches of clearance between the back of the speaker and the wall, will that be enough room??

Also I was thinking about using another RF-7 for the center channel. Has anybody got any thoughts on this?

Paul

----------------

In my experience 14 inches is a bit too close - if possible you want to get them about 2-2 1/2 feet out from the wall so you do not end up with bloated or overemphasized bass (the rear ports are very large). However, given that you are only listening to music 5% of the time, you probably will not notice the overemphasized bass that much when these speakers are doing movie duty (95%).

Not optimal - but doable.

Carl.

Did someone mention my name? 10.gif

paulk

Yes, I did audition 2 RC7s against 2 RB-75s as well as just 2 RC7s performing 2 channel stereo. Durring that time I gained a WHOLE LOT of respect for the RC7s. People see the "C" in the RC7 name and think "CENTER" and "CENTER" channel only. Or people argue that it has a tapered array crossover, ok so... To the neysayers, I say, you need to hear them in stereo. I personally found that they are MUCH more than just a center speaker.

So, yes, I'm running RC7s as my surrounds. HOWEVER, I will add this and I'm no professor in this, so take it with some grain of salt... If you have an odd shapped room, or un even seating, or what ever, you may want to consider the RS7s. I've heard they are more forgiving in less than favorable room shapes. Here is another caviot with the RC7s as surrounds. They are rear ported so they need a few inches behind them to breath and be most effective. Even though my RC7s are flat up against the wall right now, I still chose them over the RB75s

If you are considering the RF7s, get them if you can afford them. If you are considering the RB75s for main, I would HIGHLY encourage you to consider the RC7s. If nothing else, at LEAST do a side by side comparrison between the a pair of RC7s and pair of RB75s. I'd run RC7s as my mains in a heartbeat if I didn't have my RF7s.

Paul, I just remodeled my whole room so I could upgrade from RB 35's to the RF-7's. (There was a short stint when I tried the RF-5's but didn't care for them). It has taken 4 months and more costly than I would care to admit, but the sound has been well worth it. I've heard of others that like the RB-75's as much, and some even more than the RF-7's. I have never demoed the RB-75's. However, I would say what everyone else has - you cannot go wrong with the RF-7's. If you have the room - go for it - you will not be sorry.

PS, I really like my RS-7's for surround duty, as well as SACD/DVD-A.

----------------

On 2/10/2005 12:52:43 PM m00n wrote:

Did someone mention my name?
10.gif

paulk

Yes, I did audition 2 RC7s against 2 RB-75s as well as just 2 RC7s performing 2 channel stereo. Durring that time I gained a WHOLE LOT of respect for the RC7s. People see the "C" in the RC7 name and think "CENTER" and "CENTER" channel only. Or people argue that it has a tapered array crossover, ok so... To the neysayers, I say, you need to hear them in stereo. I personally found that they are MUCH more than just a center speaker.

So, yes, I'm running RC7s as my surrounds. HOWEVER, I will add this and I'm no professor in this, so take it with some grain of salt... If you have an odd shapped room, or un even seating, or what ever, you may want to consider the RS7s. I've heard they are more forgiving in less than favorable room shapes. Here is another caviot with the RC7s as surrounds. They are rear ported so they need a few inches behind them to breath and be most effective. Even though my RC7s are flat up against the wall right now, I still chose them over the RB75s

If you are considering the RF7s, get them if you can afford them. If you are considering the RB75s for main, I would HIGHLY encourage you to consider the RC7s. If nothing else, at LEAST do a side by side comparrison between the a pair of RC7s and pair of RB75s. I'd run RC7s as my mains in a heartbeat if I didn't have my RF7s.

----------------

mOOn, thats VERY interesting to me. I really like my RC-7 and the only complaint I really have about it is that I wish it was rated as low as my RF-7 as I prefer to run my crossover at 40 hz. Thats a minor concern though overall as I am happy with the speaker. That said your the first person that I know of that has considered them as you have. Question, if you ran a pair of RC-7's as mains, would you set them on end? Also, how are your RC's set up for surrounds, flat or on end? Thats a hefty surround fo sho.

I'm not sure, but I think Moon hangs his RC-7s in his theater, similar to when he had his RS-7s. (If I am incorrect, Moon, please correct me).

If running the RC-7s as mains, I would put them on their end. Prior to acquiring Heritage, I ran my RC-7 on end as my center. I ended up building a little custom stand for it to sit in. You simply take out the tractix horn and turn its orientation. The speaker works great like this, and I highly recommend this approach. The only thing to consider is stability if you have small kids around. That why my stand incorporated a wider base and a small ridge behind it.

Having owned both RB-75s and a RC-7, I agree with Moon that the RC-7 is a superior speaker. With one exception. Just as with the rear ports of the RF-7s, the RC-7 needs space behind it to get the most out of it (versus the front porting of the RB-75). So those with space constraints might be better off with the RB-75s. Although Moon has had nice results even with no space behind his.

Oh, and of course, Dean's mod makes the RC-7 spectacular. My RC-7 is slated to move to my upstairs system later this month.

Carl.

WOW, so you actually tack the horn out and rotate it 180 degrees? I am trying to picture that, wouldnt that leave gaps because isnt the horn a rectangle??

As far as hanging the RC I assume thats hanging upside down using the pre made screw holes that were for the support pegs and thus not having to drill new holes or are they on a stand thats hanging?

I am just curious what you creative folks have done here as I have not really thought about differant uses for the RC.

Thanks.

(Sorry for the thread jack)

Too answer the first initial question, go with the RF's

The RC-7 tractix horn is square so you simply unscrew it with the star screwdriver thingy and rotate it. Be careful because the horn assembly is heavier than you think.

As for hanging, I can't recall, but I think that Moon built more shelves for the RC-7 and they are horizontal for surrounds. I'll let him clarify. You need something sturdy because the RC-7 is hefty for a center.

Carl.

You won't rotate the horn 180 degrees as this would be the same 90 degree by 60 degree dipersion as you start with. You will only need to rotate each tratrix horn 90 degrees and you should probably document it somewhere so that you would know at a later date (if needed) to rotate each horn back to its original position if you decided on a different setup. You will need a tool similar to an Allen wrench, but that has a star shaped end on it. I believe that they are sold at most hardware stores.

Hey all... Sorry for the delay.

My RC7s are standing on end on shelves flat against the wall. HOWEVER, (and i've been saying this for a year now) I'm going to build cubbies in the walls for them. There will be 6" of space all around them so they can breath. Also, I will be tilting them downward towards the seats. my theater is toooo narrow and the RC7s sit rather tall on the shelves, so, you basically miss a lot of sound becuase it's flying way over my head. Idealy I would have about 6 more feet of width to my room and I'd be very happy.

Oh and if you DON'T have a reason to stand them on end, I see no reason to do so. I have a reason which is that I'm running 2 sets of side surrounds and they are relitivly close to each other.

Don't lecture me on having 2 sets of side surrounds in such close proximity... I've been beaten up over and over on the issue. 2.gif

Good advice all round. I too would go for anything other than RS7's, unless placement is a real problem. RB35, RB5, RC even. I like Moon's thoughts on this.

Speaking of Moon, careful with the cubbie holes. Build them REALLY stiff so they don't howl. I did an in-wall installation for my brother once without thinking of this and those boxes really screwed up the sound. Just feel the outside of your RC7 when it's pumping, feel that vibration, imagine that in a plywood box, real honky, real funky horrible lowmid tone. Also, what happens to the port sound from the back of RC7? Just think it over and/or do prototype maybe before committing to the demolition and rebuild of you home.

Good listening

Michael

My advice, If you're doing a sub, then go for the rb75. Possibly all the way around if possible. They're easy to place with the ported front. I recieved a pair in december to use as surrounds with klf series up front. I used them as front mains until I got around to building shelves for them in the rear. Don't be fooled by their size, they more than hold their own. As I look at it now, it seems like a waste to utilize these as rears only; which has lead me to use the 5 channel stereo mode a whole lot more.