New Khorn owner!!! Help!

c5vette

I, had too have them, going to Pa. from Knoxville, Tn next week.These were the pr on ebay that had the "polyphasered electronic changes" As, some suggested on here $2500 might have been a little high,but think sometimes you might have to pay a little extra for condition I, have talked to the (one owner early 70's)& these speakers should be immaculate,stored in the org cartons 1 1/2 yr heated basement. He bought them new in 1981, I, wanted to get a pr I, could drive to, instead of shipping because I, can still say no. If not as described. Anyway, what should I, look for when going over these speakers before paying? Also, how hard would it be to change back to org or upgrade the Xover. Thx Jim

PS new pr listed on EBAY, with reserve set at $3900 pr

Sorry, not a Khorn owner so can't tell you what to look for but get photos and study them before you make your trip. Then read my thread about my trip from INdy to Fl to pick up a pair of badly beaten Cornwalls. Sometimes it's a labor of love. For Klipsch speakers, I doubt if anyone has ever made a 'long haul' and been that terribly disappointed in the long run. Congrats on the fortitude to go after what you desire. The trip will be longer and more exhausting than you can imagine, but you will be smiling all the while. I drove 1329 miles solo (with overnight) and never got tired! Why? Cause I had my new babies with me, rough as they were. I now own the 3rd oldest pair of Cornwalls known on the Forum. They're not worth more, it's just cool war story.

Hope your story has a happy ending as well. Surely some of the guys will post with tips about testing, condition, etc. I didn't even plug mine in, just handed the cash and loaded them in the van. They work perfectly, but I wouldn't recommend that for a $2500 purchase. Have Fun!

Michael

C5, Congrats!!!!3.gif3.gif

If you desire, ALK crossovers IMHO the best, will set you back around $500/pair. Less if you build them yourself.

What to look for is to make sure that there is no water damage. During your listening test, put your ear up to the tweeters to make sure that they are working. Tweeters can be repaired inexpensively but if inop may be a bargaining chip.

Rick

One easy way to test is to run some music through and then remove each of the connections to each driver. One at a time connect each back up and then listen to them to make sure they are working. When you do it this way you can hear each independently for crackling or hiss or anything else. Also look to the bottom of the cabinets for chips. These happen often but is one way of getting the price down. I just sold a pair Teak of C models in excellent shape for 1950.00. You are paying a premium so you should get the best. Also the ALK kit is 330.00 if you build it. 500.00 if AL builds them. The greatest thing about the Klipschorn is that it is pretty hard to hurt them.

Thanks, I, may take you up on that!! I, know I, stepped up $$ but I'm willing to pay a little more for condition, like buying a used car. I've watched them go for 1700-3000,anyone who has kept the cartons for 25yrs, more than not has taken good care of them. I, think I'll be there Tues evening & picking up Wed morn.Thx for looking and helping out a new & excited "K" owner, it's seems some here won't take the time.

Congratulations c5vette

Sounds like you've gotten a nice pair of KHorns and I believe $2500 is a bargain for a nice pair of KHorns and I think you've made a great investment because it seems to me they will hold their value and probably go up in value in the years to come which in audio equipment is pretty rare. You know I kind of feel like we really don't own them as much as we are lucky to have them for a time and eventually pass them to someone else who will care for them like we do.1.gif

I still remember the excitement in (Nov. 1990) when my dream of getting Khorns came true and my Brother and I picked them up. The man was selling them because he had bought the latest best speaker recommended by Stereophile Magazine! (LUCKY ME)

Anyway one tip I can think of to give you is if moving them on thick carpet be carefull of the side grilles for the bass horns it would be possible to crack the grille frame.(just easy does it)

and the top section(Squawker/Tweeter Housing) and (Side Grilles) will come off with a couple of wingnuts each for easier/safer transport.

By the way I live in Maryville,TN so I'll PM and E-mail you a phone number and feel free to call if you have any questions I might be able to help you with.

mike1.gif

Congratulations. As long as you can afford it, you'll be glad you paid extra to get what you want. I imagine you'll love these babies for many years to come and +/- $600 or $700 won't matter a bit over that time.

What kind of vehicle are you taking to pick them up in? Something large I hope!

c5vette - You didn't mention if the owner has a way for you to listen to them. Dose he? I made the mistake of not asking (just assumed that someone who owned Cornwalls would have gear) before I drove to Orlando.15.gif Fortunately there was a memeber here that live pretty close to the guy and was gracious enough to let us come to his house and hook them up. Anyhow, you might have to take a couple of pieces of gear if the dude doesn't have anything to play them. I'm drawing that conclusion from the comment you made about the guy having them in storage.

BTW, I know the town you live in. I've run many a road up there in that area on various kinds of motorcycles (mostly sportbikes. Yeah, yeah....crotchrockets. Whatever you guys 1.gif). I don't suppose you've ever taken that c5 through Deals Gap now have you? 11.gif

Good luck with the new Khorns. Hope they're everything you hope them to be.1.gif

Tom