OT: Any mechanics on the forum?

Thumpelstiltskin

I just bought a new truck (new to me, anyway). It runs great and looks pretty good, but the gas tank hangs down and drags the road sometimes. I tried welding a new bracket to hold it up, but I'm not very good at welding. If there are any mechanics or welders here, please take a look at the picture and tell me what I'm doing wrong.

post-16138-13819261823264_thumb.jpg

WOW!!! If you want to kill yourself why don't you just put a pistol in your mouth. Those 4x4s! At that angle they could have slipped at any time! Welding a gas tank!!!! You could easily have looked like a burning monk!!!

Go to a hardware store and get some pipe strapping. It's about 3/4" wide metal with 5/16" holes every inch or so and comes in a roll. Drill some bolt holes to secure both ends and strap the tank up tightly with a strap in the front and another in the back.

PLEASE, do it safely!!!!!!!

Rick

Yep, that's a pipefitter. Skids under the truck; two for safety. probably using a 1/8 inch 6010 5P rod with 70 amp setting. Only thing I see wrong is he didn't chock in front of the wheel too. He shoulda taken the gas tank cap off and lit it on fire to keep the pressure from building up inside the tank while he was plugging the hole. He's probably a 798 welder.9.gif