Tube Longevity

I've been through a number of tubes that died. JJ Electronics KT88's dont seem to last long 3 of 4 died over about 18 months. 1 EH EL34 has also blown - in a very short space of time - probably a fault - the supplier replaced it FOC.

The current batch of 8 seem ok - about 10 months in so far.

I was sitting right next to my ST70 listening to Buena Vista Social Club working on my computer, (there's no sound on my computer!) and out of my Klipsch KP301s came a low "Hum" that very slowly began to get louder and louder. I looked up and glanced over at my Dynaco to see one of the Ram Tube Works EL34's beginning to glow cherry red. I quickly turned off the amp.

That's my dramatic story of a good tube gone bad! : )

Bill Woodward

----------------

On 2/18/2005 6:56:56 AM 126mhz wrote:

I was sitting right next to my ST70 listening to Buena Vista Social Club working on my computer, (there's no sound on my computer!) and out of my Klipsch KP301s came a low "Hum" that very slowly began to get louder and louder. I looked up and glanced over at my Dynaco to see one of the Ram Tube Works EL34's beginning to glow cherry red. I quickly turned off the amp.

Bill Woodward
----------------

This in many cases has nothing to do with a good tube gone bad. Its usually a good tube socket gone bad! Almost always when a tube goes cherry red its the tubes grid pin loosing contact in the socket. Clean and re-tension those sockets.

Craig

----------------

On 2/18/2005 12:17:56 AM fini wrote:

I just used up a tube of toothpaste, but that's probably not what you're talking about.

----------------

I do try to get every last bit out, by doing tube rolling.

The company that had a handle on tubes lasting for 20+ years was the old Western Electric Co. They used them in their sub cables and carrier equipment and they would have to have a 20+ year life rating 24hrs a day. Since American technology is going right down the tubes you will never see the likes of that again. We are in the "Taiwan" era now so buy a bushel basket of the tubes at "K-Mart" for the long haul.

JJK

I noticed something I hadn't heard before yesterday. When I turned everything on I heard a tink tink tink tink tink tink tink sound coming from the speakers. I have monoblocks with 300B 5U4G 6SL7 and a preamp with 6SN7 6EM7 6X5 tubes but how do I figure out which is making the sound or is this normal?

What usually "wears a tube out" is mechanical shock from being moved around. The heater will go down gradually over period of years, but provided the design right to start with, a tube can last for decades, particulary with some kind 'gentle' turn-on feature to limit inrush current.

----------------

Bill Woodward

----------------

Be careful! I also own an ST-70 and the same thing happened. The cause? Loose solder joint on the coupling caps. Try to wiggle the coupling caps on the driver board around. Those old solder joints are not very strong anymore. I re-soldered them and never had the problem again. Now I have some orange drops caps in there. But like Craig said, it could also be a bad tube socket. The best advice I can give you is to slowly do a complete restoration on that amp. This will save you money and hassles in the future. You'll also have a more reliable amp.

Maurice

While transporting an amp a few years ago in the back seat of my car.....ok......you know where this is going....I trashed two NOS Mullard EL-34s. I still have them, sans glass, cannot seem to throw them out......sob sob......

Mostly I think these high quality old tubes will outlast all of us. We will pass them on to the next generation who will get a bit more life out of them and then pass them on to the grandchildren. Eventually the ones that survived the nuclear meltdown will end up in a display case on the mantle of your great grandchildren living on Mars.....

C&S

"I noticed something I hadn't heard before yesterday. When I turned everything on I heard a tink tink tink tink tink tink tink sound coming from the speakers. I have monoblocks with 300B 5U4G 6SL7 and a preamp with 6SN7 6EM7 6X5 tubes but how do I figure out which is making the sound or is this normal?"

You just noticed that?

That is more than likely the tubes clangin' and bangin' as they contract and cool off....

My TJ 300B's do it as well, I have 6BQ5's that do it.

You should be able to hear some tink, tink as they come to temp from turn-on.

It's normal. I least I hope it is, or we are both in trouble.

Oops, I got it backwards....either way they'll tink, tink coming up or down.

----------------

On 2/18/2005 7:23:18 PM mike stehr wrote:

"I noticed something I hadn't heard before yesterday. When I turned everything on I heard a tink tink tink tink tink tink tink sound coming from the speakers. I have monoblocks with 300B 5U4G 6SL7 and a preamp with 6SN7 6EM7 6X5 tubes but how do I figure out which is making the sound or is this normal?"

You just noticed that?

That is more than likely the tubes clangin' and bangin' as they contract and cool off....

My TJ 300B's do it as well, I have 6BQ5's that do it.

You should be able to hear some tink, tink as they come to temp from turn-on.

It's normal. I least I hope it is, or we are both in trouble.

Oops, I got it backwards....either way they'll tink, tink coming up or down.

----------------

Well I noticed about a week ago. That is good news was a little worried as my about 6 months ago my 6SN7's started glowing a weird blueish purple so I was afraid they were going out. One is more purple than the other I think I am going to find some more 6SN7's there are always tons of them on audiogon. The problem is what to buy must go through the list of recomendations from people rca sylvania eh long list lol....

----------------

On 2/18/2005 1:44:17 PM Clipped and Shorn wrote:

----------------

I was sitting right next to my ST70 listening to Buena Vista Social Club ....

OK there. Big points (way more than for the usual bossa nova) for Cuban music on the Klipsch Forum! Who said miracles didn't happen.....

C&S

----------------

Love the stuff! Ruben Gonzalez is outstanding on "Introducing" and Toda Cuba Baila Con Chucho Valdes & Irakere is tops. I also like the Afro Cuban All Stars on "A Toda Cuba le Gusta."

Listening to this stuff through my La Scalas is as close to Audio heaven as I ever want to get.

Regards,

Bill Woodward

----------------

On 2/19/2005 12:27:51 PM 126mhz wrote:

----------------

On 2/18/2005 1:44:17 PM Clipped and Shorn wrote:

----------------

I was sitting right next to my ST70 listening to Buena Vista Social Club ....

OK there. Big points (way more than for the usual bossa nova) for Cuban music on the Klipsch Forum! Who said miracles didn't happen.....

C&S

----------------

Love the stuff! Ruben Gonzalez is outstanding on "Introducing" and Toda Cuba Baila Con Chucho Valdes & Irakere is tops. I also like the Afro Cuban All Stars on "A Toda Cuba le Gusta."

Listening to this stuff through my La Scalas is as close to Audio heaven as I ever want to get.

Regards,

Bill Woodward

----------------

I find that this highly percussive Cuban music is also great for getting the stereo system to shine, with all kinds of different sounds. If you like the Cuban guitar (tres) style, a good CD is "The Lion Is Loose".

Chucho Valdes has a bunch of CDs under his name if you like the piano sound.

Do you like latin-jazz as well? Mark Levine's Isla is one of my favorites and will really make your audio system sing.

C&S