My First Tube Death

seti

One of my RCA smoked glass 6SL7's went out this weekend. I was worried it was the amp but I switched the tubes around and sure enough one went to the land of dead tubes.

Should I order another pair of the RCA smoked glass 6SL7's or is there something else I should try as well? Since I am ordering new 6SL7's I may as well order new 6SN7's : ) What are the faves of the forum memebers you guys haven't steered me wrong yet? I was considering another set of sylvanias but may try RCA's as well.

Any suggestions appreciated!

RIP HUNTER S THOMPSON "This hear is BAT country!"

Seti,

I've tried out several 6SN7's on the Wrights and found that the Sylvania chrome domes were the best. Don't have a clue (technically) as to why this is true, but it seems that 6SN7's are synergistic little rascals and some varieties will shine in one amp, but not another. In a conversation I had with Geo Wright about upgrading tubes, he meantioned the Sylvania 6SN7's and RCA 2A3's. In all the tube rolling I've done, I haven't found anything to improve upon that combination. in the WPA 3.5's, the stock Sovtek 2A3's deliver most of what the RCA's do and sound very good and are bang for the buck winners there.

----------------

On 2/21/2005 3:52:22 PM Daddy Dee wrote:

Seti,

I've tried out several 6SN7's on the Wrights and found that the Sylvania chrome domes were the best. Don't have a clue (technically) as to why this is true, but it seems that 6SN7's are synergistic little rascals and some varieties will shine in one amp, but not another. In a conversation I had with Geo Wright about upgrading tubes, he meantioned the Sylvania 6SN7's and RCA 2A3's. In all the tube rolling I've done, I haven't found anything to improve upon that combination. in the WPA 3.5's, the stock Sovtek 2A3's deliver most of what the RCA's do and sound very good and are bang for the buck winners there.

----------------

Excellent I'll try sylvania 6SN7 and 6SL7 chrome domes.

I just placed a bid on some 6SL7's.

For sale a matched pair of pristine NOS Sylvania GB-6SL7WGT in original boxes. The GOLD BRAND (GB) was Sylvania's top of the line tube made with quality. It has a halo getter, black tri-angle plates, brown bases, with a mid 1960s datecode. A duo-triode tube with two sections to test. The tubes are tested with a Hickok 6000 for gas, shorts, and transconductance gm they read 2050/2000gm and 2000/2000gm with the average new 6SL7 reading 1600 gm. I fully guarantee my tubes.

Now to find some 6SN7's they seem to be more expensive but I'll see what I can find.

Thanks

----------------

On 2/21/2005 4:20:38 PM Chris Robinson wrote:

I love the Sylvania chrome tops with yellow labels. Really seems to bring out the magic. Sadly, they're hard to find these days.

When a guy in OH was selling them a few years back (from old organs), he hand-picked a batch for me and tested them. I think I paid $5 a piece for them.

----------------

Dang $5 a pop not bad. Makes me want to take an axe to my parents organ : ) not sure they would understand....

Cal PM'd ya

I think I lost a TJ 300B. Heard a pop last night listening.

Checked the voltage/bias, 56 volts. The other side is 59. Ok, that's about the usual difference between the two, and listened on....

Hour later or so, another pop. Checked the voltage again, down to 51 volts. Argh.

Now I have a reason to convert to 2A3.

I may try the ol' strip the poisoned cathode trick again with that 300B. I dunno....it's getting ugly.

I'm gonna miss those big obnoxious globes.

----------------

On 2/21/2005 4:55:08 PM seti wrote:

Dang $5 a pop not bad. Makes me want to take an axe to my parents organ : ) not sure they would understand....

----------------

Your last name isn't "Bobbitt" is it?

----------------

On 2/23/2005 3:51:48 PM KathyMason wrote:

How long do tubes last? How often do you have to replace them?

Just curious since I know nothing about them.

----------------

All of my tubes were used so I do not know if it passed on to the other side prematurly. I have read most 300B tubes take around 500 hours to break in and can last upto 10,000 hours. I am not positive but I think different tubes have different lifespans.

Ok I don't want to pay too much for tubes and I have been outbid so far $51 for two. What is a reasonable price for these?

For sale a matched pair of pristine NOS Sylvania GB-6SL7WGT in original boxes. The GOLD BRAND (GB) was Sylvania's top of the line tube made with quality. It has a halo getter, black tri-angle plates, brown bases, with a mid 1960s datecode. A duo-triode tube with two sections to test. The tubes are tested with a Hickok 6000 for gas, shorts, and transconductance gm they read 2050/2000gm and 2000/2000gm with the average new 6SL7 reading 1600 gm. I fully guarantee my tubes. Shipping in the USA is 5.00

4 hours to go at this time

post-15544-13819261959162_thumb.jpg

Seti,

I'd suggest to check out: http://www.audiotubes.com/

Brent Jesse is a good guy and has a pretty educational tube site and a broad range of NOS and good used tubes.

I've purchased some tubes from him, and I think he may even have a return policy if you don't like what you get. Anyway, if you haven't already checked him out, he's a good source.

He has also corresponded with me some on e-mail to answer questions. Whatever you might get from him, you can count truth in advertising. Sometimes good deals are to be had on Ebay, but sellers don't always know what they've got enough to be helpful.

----------------

On 2/24/2005 7:39:32 PM Daddy Dee wrote:

Seti,

I'd suggest to check out:

Brent Jesse is a good guy and has a pretty educational tube site and a broad range of NOS and good used tubes.

I've purchased some tubes from him, and I think he may even have a return policy if you don't like what you get. Anyway, if you haven't already checked him out, he's a good source.

He has also corresponded with me some on e-mail to answer questions. Whatever you might get from him, you can count truth in advertising. Sometimes good deals are to be had on Ebay, but sellers don't always know what they've got enough to be helpful.

----------------

Thanks Dee

I just found that site right before you posted this reply. I find his descriptions of the tubes very helpful. I'll use him to buy my 6SN7's. Also I won that auction http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5752843843 for 2 NOS NIB Sylvania GB-6SL7WGT 6SL7 5691 for $61 . This is the first time I have bought tubes so I hope the transaction goes ok. I have spent too much money on my house this month so the 6SN7's will have to wait two weeks

These sound good for my next order

6SN7WGT brownbase JAN Sylvania Military grade, black triangular plates MATCHED PAIR

New Old Stock Original Box and whitebox. Scarce tubes, hard to keep in stock. These are the famous military JAN tubes, as sweet as the VT-231 types, but with brown bases. Nicely matched pairs!

$99.00 per pair