Anybody with Blueberry & VRD & ALK on BOH

Colin

has anybody added the Blueberry (pre-amp?) with the VRD amp and Al k's crossovers - these all same like theyare made for big ole horns-

in what stages?

what were the improvements?

if you didn't do that change, what chamge would you do?

thanks-

10.gif

It wasn't stray RF it was a ground loop ! Whenever you have noise lift those 3 wires. Its almost always best to just have one piece of gear with a 3 wire if any at all.

I know of another Khorn/ALK/Blueberry owner that will be taking delivery on VRD's very soon.

Craig

----------------

On 2/25/2005 3:32:36 PM NOSValves wrote:

I know of another Khorn/ALK/Blueberry owner that will be taking delivery on VRD's very soon.

Craig

----------------

WHAT A GUY!!!!!!3.gif

Craig you're GIVING me a pair of VRDs? I take back all the bad things I ever said about you.2.gif

Rick

----------------

On 2/25/2005 3:32:36 PM NOSValves wrote:

It wasn't stray RF it was a ground loop ! Whenever you have noise lift those 3 wires. Its almost always best to just have one piece of gear with a 3 wire if any at all.

----------------

OK sorry, I stand corrected then. Remember, I am a novice at this stuff. But I am still confused. Why do I have the exact same noise, just not nearly as severe as Andy? I am lifted from ground at home. Help!

99 times out of a hundred it's a ground loop somewhere. Start digging, you'll find it. Have a look at the panel on the side of the house too. I fixed a bunch of crap at a guys house by loosening and re-tightening the big wire at the 6-ft copper ground rod under the panel.

Is you stuff plugged in to more than one outlet? one of the outlets have the hot and neutral reversed? There's a gizmo you can buy in the electrical section at Home Depot that you plug in, it analyzes the circuits for stuff like just mentioned.

----------------

On 2/25/2005 4:22:56 PM 3dzapper wrote:

WHAT A GUY!!!!!!
3.gif

Craig you're GIVING me a pair of VRDs? I take back all the bad things I ever said about you.
2.gif

Rick

----------------

Rick,

Yup! Under one condition you go outside on your front porch right now and wait until the Fed Ex truck shows up for delivery2.gif

----------------

On 2/25/2005 6:58:35 PM Piranha wrote:

OK, I stand corrected then. But I am confused. Why do I have the exact same noise, just not nearly as severe as Andy? I am lifted from ground at home. Help!

----------------

A mild noise can be Stray RF but what you described to me at Andy's house was almost surely a ground loop. Are we still powering part of the system with a 50" extension cord at home2.gif The safest bet is to simple lift all your components from ground this means all Amps, Preamp, and Sounces.

Craig

----------------

On 2/25/2005 7:58:20 PM NOSValves wrote:

----------------

On 2/25/2005 6:58:35 PM Piranha wrote:

OK, I stand corrected then. But I am confused. Why do I have the exact same noise, just not nearly as severe as Andy? I am lifted from ground at home. Help!

----------------

A mild noise can be Stray RF but what you described to me at Andy's house was almost surely a ground loop. Are we still powering part of the system with a 50" extension cord at home
2.gif"
The safest bet is to simple lift all your components from ground this means all Amps, Preamp, and Sounces.

Craig

----------------

No 50' extension you smart a$$! 2.gif That was 6 months ago during initial hookup and testing for placement. And for the record, it was a 100' footer. 9.gif

I think that everything is already lifted from ground? I took the ground pin out of my cheapy Monster Cable Power Pro 1000. I give up.

Tom is correct we were treated to a Peach/VRD/ALK'd K-Horn combo. How did it sound - exceptionally smooth and articulate. When the switch to Triode mode was made the detail leapt out. As Andy said earlier I would like to have heard the Stravinsky selection in triode mode. The soundstage was massive every other combo sounded a little smaller by compassion and not quite as smooth. The VTL/Sonic Frontiers was pretty impressive as well but my favorite choice of the day was the Peach/ VRD combo.

One thing that is unmistakable to me is the sound of the ALK crossover. As soon as I walked in to Andys I could hear it, there is no mistaking that distinct detailed sound. It was a pleasure to here it on K-Horns. Ive enjoyed it on my La Scalas for several months now. Hope this helps.

I do not own the items and never heard the ALKs.

I have heard the BB/VRD/ HORN setup maybe more than a dozen times now. With LaScala, Cornwall, RF-7, Heresy and Chorus II also.

The Heresey was just amazing; not much below 50 hz energy but the rest was perfect. Best I ever heard heresey by far.

It is just not easy to put into words.

So damn pleasant, powerful, and musical with all the speaker combinations.

if it fits your budget I cannot imagine any horn owner being disappointed.

Rick

----------------

On 2/25/2005 12:52:34 PM Colin wrote:

has anybody added the Blueberry (pre-amp?) with the VRD amp and Al k's crossovers - these all same like theyare made for big ole horns-

----------------

Not yet, but give me a few months. In 2 weeks, I should be 2/3 the way there.