Speaker grills on or off?

ottscay

I keep noticing that most photos I see posted on the boards (of Reference systems, anyways) don't have their grills attached. Is everyone doing this to make the photos look cooler, or do some of you just leave them off all the time? Is there a (noticeable)difference in sound quality?

Scott

Guest Anonymous

i for sure can hear a difference with my grills on and off, i can't say which is better because they both sound good, but there is a difference, but i leave them on because the designers usually incorporate a grill on them for the overall sound, and therefore i just go with how the design was meant to be..... that does not make me right

Hey Ottscay, I agree there is a differance on/off. You know when mine are off, I find I am cranking the volume up more often. Probally just like watching the woofers get a little workout, ha ha... I will say my RW-12 sub draws more comments when the grille is off. Also enjoy the air movement.2.gif thanks donnie

----------------

On 2/25/2005 3:26:01 PM tommyboy wrote:

I dont' know about doing it to make the speakers prettier, but you won't notice a difference in sound w/ them on or off. You would need like dog hearing for that!

----------------

there is definitely a difference. c'mon. albeit small, there is definitely a difference in the sound of a speaker, with or without grills on, most notably in the high-end. which someone prefers is personal preference. most speakers with grills, if designed properly, were designed around the fact that the grills would be there. however, many people, in there own sound environment find that they prefer the sound with the grills off. most home situation are much more damped by carpet, furniture, etc., than a speaker lab, so the boost in the high-end with the grills off is often prefered.

I believe I notice a difference, but would I get it right on a blind listening comparision? Honestly don't know, but if I kept my eyes closed during the entire listening session I probably would never make the change to either take them off or put the on.

And my wife says I never listen. 3.gif

I can hear a difference with my promedias, but I'm not sure it's a proper comparison. The cloth of the grill on the promedia isn't significantly thinner than that on my rf-35s, but the rf-35s move a heck of a lot more air, so the effect of removing the grill should be more pronounced on the little promedias. Not saying people can't tell the difference on bigger, speakres, I'm just babbling on about the phsics of scaling...

Scott

• 2 weeks later...