GreenHorn about KHorn

rockbobmel

I just got a line on some Khorns for about $1,500. Is this a bargain? I don't know how old they are yet, but I suspect 5 to 10 years old. I currently have Forte IIs for fronts and powered by an Arcam FMJ P25 and Rotel Pre/process. Are these horns better suited for a tube nut?, you know, low watts, effecient speakers? I mainly listen to power rock, Yes, Dream Theater, King Crimson, Etc. The guy selling them is moving to a smaller room and I could prolly trade up my Forte IIs + Cash, But I need some input on what these things are all about. I got a big living room and one corner has a door that starts to swing out about 22" from the back. I need help making a decision. I am also in the market for a KLF-C7 for the Forte IIs, but that all may change too. Thanks, Bob

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Corners are a must. They need to fit snuggly in there to take advantage of the bass. Your wall actually becomes part of the speaker. If they can't fit into the corner there's always creating a false corner, but do a search on that. $1.5K sounds like a good deal. Good luck and keep us updated.

Price is right, BUT, you do need two corners. Check the search option for false corners and you will get the dimensions. Does this allow the door to function, or can you get by with blocking part of it?

If you can make the room work, you have a steal on your hands.

----------------

On 2/26/2005 10:44:30 PM Dflip wrote:

Price is right, BUT, you do need two corners. Check the search option for false corners and you will get the dimensions. Does this allow the door to function, or can you get by with blocking part of it?

If you can make the room work, you have a steal on your hands.

----------------

The door is on the left wall. It starts to open around 22 inches with the hinge toward the corner. Could I put the KHorn on a rug and slide it out to get into the closet once and a while? What kind os a seal needs to be made.

I did some limited reading on a false corner. Also, if one horn is sealed and the other not, will the bass seem omnidirectional from the corect corner? I also have an 8" mop board along the walls. What effect does that have. Did Klipsch think of that?? I would like to see some details of how things work. What do you think about the trade. Remember, I am using a SS set up. not tube amps.

Thanks, Bob

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 2/27/2005 2:11:55 AM fini wrote:

$1500 is nothin' in the Bush economy...Go for it!
2.gif
Or, trade him straight across for solving the size hassle.

----------------

uhhh? are you and I in the same place? small buisness tax is killer in this economy!

• 2 weeks later...

The guy is coming to look at my Forte IIs tomorrow. Wouldn't it be cool if he wants to trade them straight!!!! He needs to downsize and is not using them at all. He is using klf-30s and wanted to buy some Joseph Speakers but can't afford them. I hope he is into these enough.

The guy just left and he will trade the Forte IIs and cash. I will prolly have to pay $1,000. + my speakers. He said they are 10 years old and kept in top shape - a few very minor scratches. They are light oak. I am going to see them Thursday, and he suggested that I bring them home (3rd floor) and check them out with my system/enviroment. Should I rent an appliance dolly? with the moving rugs????? I can prolly get them as early as Sunday. He lives about 4 miles away. Any more input appreciated.

the top section of the k-horns come off to make it easier to handle. 4 wing nuts and they lift right off. a 2 wheel dolly would make the job easier but i have moved these by myself in a pick-up truck or a van. hope you score these. good luck