GreenHorn about KHorn

rockbobmel

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they weigh 167 pounds apiece, but take the two wingnuts off each speaker and remove the horn/tweeter section. Don't forget to unplug the wires feeding the crossover network. Much easier to move. You might want help with the bottom bass bin as it's the heaviest. Good score! Klipschorns are a sound you won't regret!

Regards,

Steve

Gotta handshake deal/steal for $800. + my Forte IIs.!!!!!..... These speakers look like NEW!! They are light (not blonde) oak. I tried loostening the wingnuts, but the top would not budge. It also looks like the horn support and back of the horn frame are bolted to wood blocks. What am I missing??? I don't want to force anything. Are they supposed to lift right off????

Thanks, Bob

Hey there!

Congrats on the score! Get ready to torture yourself about whether you really want to now start to get into tubes or not! Been doing that now for the past 6 months, and my brain's starting to get reeeeally tired!

Have fun... post pics and reports, please.

-F

----------------

On 3/11/2005 5:21:23 AM steve wrote:

Bob

you are removing the vertical wingnuts right? The top should pop right off..let me know if you need pics..I can send some!

Regards,

Steve

----------------

Yeah, I found them OK, they are just under each side of the bottom about in the middle. There are some supports for the horn magnet end that look like blocks made from 1" plywood. (Don't havem here now) that appear to be attached. Again, I did not force the thing. Are these supports just resting on the top of the bottom enclosure??? Thanks, Bob

----------------

On 3/11/2005 3:32:02 AM fgarib wrote:

Hey there!

Congrats on the score! Get ready to torture yourself about whether you really want to now start to get into tubes or not! Been doing that now for the past 6 months, and my brain's starting to get reeeeally tired!

Have fun... post pics and reports, please.

-F

----------------

Fauzi, I just went through the gauntlet with my bass amplifier: Trace elliot/Crown - Ampeg SVTII(Tube)- SVT4 (SS)- Eden WT1000(SS)- 1972 Vintage Ampeg SVT(Tube) Now Mesa 400+ (Tube) I hope I don't have to do this all over again.!!!

6.gif

Yes they are just resting on top but Klipsch did use some sticky stuff between so it may take alittle force.When you get them home if the tailboard seal is not there go get some 1/2 inch pipe insulation and seal tail board and the horz. bass binn board to the wall.Rick

----------------

On 3/11/2005 9:23:39 AM 3dzapper wrote:

I "borrowed this picture from eBay auction number 5756126167.

The large triangular piece those struts are attached to from the top is the bottom board of the tophat. The actual top of the bass bin is unfinished baltic birch. There are some pads between the pieces to isolate them.

inside13.jpg

Rick

----------------

Rick, Let me get this straight-- The mid horn support, (In this pic- mine looks diff), is screwed to the bottom of the tophat and NOT the top of the bass bin???

removing the top makes them smaller, but not that much easier to move since the weight is in the bass bin, no trouble for two guys, I moved mine by hand, you will love these speakers, the guy is nuts to get rid of them!

10.gif

These are pics of the front of a "B" style top. The seam between the top and bottom sections can be seen between the vertical grain of the bass horn section and the horizontal grain of the top hat:

KlipschDscn0505.jpg

Better top grain0720.jpg

Note that, in this style, the insert AND the plates above and below the insert are all part of the top section.

Below is a pic of the back from the side. The rubber flaps, which hide part of the whole arrangement, are between the BOTTOM of the top hat and the TOP of the bass horn:

Top from backDSCN0723.jpg

So, yes, the entire structure above those flaps lifts off as a unit. I think it's easier for two people to lift off the rather heavy top hat, plus the brackets on the bass horn sometimes aren't straight and the top may have to be maneuvered around to pull the threaded bolts through them, also easier for two people.

Larry

GOT EM!!!! I'll try to post pics, but I doubt I can get it to work right. I really have to turn them in toward the sweet spot, AND I have to shim them in the back so the sound don't go over my head. SO......... I remember that I kept my McIntosh EQ 201, I think, that boost 30hz center Q to make up for the bass I am loosing. Great soundstage and imaging. I will need to get used to them, they are a different animal. More tweaking ahead.........

----------------

On 3/11/2005 6:07:46 PM rockbobmel wrote:

Ahhhhh!!!! Now, I get it. Thanks... Thats why I could not pry the thing apart. I thought it felt too solid for separating.
16.gif
So the bottom will have the top exposed when it is apart. It sure looked like it should come apart differently.

----------------

PS, the tophats came right off easy. Thanks..