Laminate flooring good in use with my RF-5?

Taylorbaby

hey fellow Klipsch users :D

In 8 weeks I'm going to live on my own, 24yrs old and I've found a nice house to rent with my bro. I've got some very sweet RF-5 floorspeakers here in my bedroom at this moment and the acoustics and sound is awesome. On the floor lies fabric-flooring/floor-covering (dutch word is "vloerbedekking")Now the question is, when I move to the other house and place my RF5's in the living room on laminate how will that sound compared to floor-covering!? I really want my speakers to at-lease sound the same as they do now.

This is my setup, right now

- Klipsch RF5 floorstanders cherry

- Unison Research Unico hybrid amp

- SACD/CD/DVD player

I have never heard of a wood floor sounding bad. In fact, most everyone prefers wood except in other situations where the acoustics require otherwise.

Laminate flooring is a whole different story and is probably the worst sounding of all the choices. Laminate flooring is a fake floor designed to look like something else...like wood or tile.

To make it simple:

wood = real

laminate = fake

Wood floor:

wood.jpg

Laminate floor:

laminate-construction.gif

In the end though, all that matters is how it sounds to you. If you don't like the sound, then try laying a large carpet on the floor. Here's a picture of carpet:

Carpet_3.jpg

thanks for the reply, so laminate would be raping the sound of my RF5's? Damn, and yes it's a personal taste but hey when I purchase a new floor of laminate and the sound sucks then I wasted a few hundred dollars for that. So i need to be sure, and I love laminate as flooring in my living room but it has to sound awesome... In the room are curtains and perhaps I can put a carpet somewhere in the room to improve the sound??

Wait until you actually get into the room and can hear the speakers before planning any changes to the room.

I have always found laminate flooring to sound awful, but that doesn't mean that it always will. All laminates are slightly different so you might even find there to be a slight improvement. Just make sure you have an unbiased opinion when you listen for the first time. I would hate to bias you now into thinking it's bad when really it's not.

The problem I've experienced with laminate is it tends to sound harsh in the midrange. I've found that carpet and curtains and other fluffy furniture helps tame the effects. A plaster cieling instead of drywall can also make a significant difference as well.

----------------

On 2/28/2005 5:45:39 PM Taylorbaby wrote:

thanks for the reply, so laminate would be raping the sound of my RF5's? Damn, and yes it's a personal taste but hey when I purchase a new floor of laminate and the sound sucks then I wasted a few hundred dollars for that. So i need to be sure, and I love laminate as flooring in my living room but it has to sound awesome... In the room are curtains and perhaps I can put a carpet somewhere in the room to improve the sound??

----------------

If you can get into the room, clap your hands. See how long it takes to either bounce off of reflective surfaces, or whether it sounds dead - no reverberation.

Once you move your furniture in, add any wall hangings and put your curtains and maybe drapes, then see how it sounds.

It's too early to make a definite statement as to how it will sound.

The other things that will affect the sound are what the walls are made of, shape of the room, size of the room - length, width and height, plus ceiling type, doors, windows.

When you total all of the factors those will have more of an effect.

So enjoy your floor - is it wood at all? Just Curious.

But move in, set eveerything up and then you will hear if changes need to be made.

Good Luck and Congratulations,

dodger

EDIT: Welcome to the Forum and if I have not understood what you meant by laminate, I apologize.

There are laminated woods, so it is prudent to ask.

I wish that I could type faster, but that's life.END EDIT

On 02/28/2005: 5:40;57 P.M.

Dr. Who stated

"To make it simple

wood= real

laminate= fake..."

There are a number of laminated real wood floorings available.

I have installed them, a Google Search for wood laminated flooring will note a numbver of on-line purveyors of floorings of this type and explanations as to how the wood is laminated.

For those in other Countries, the terms may be entirely different in their use of English versus what we in the U.S. use.

An example is Valve. A number of tube users in the U.S. may not have heard that word as is much more common in Europe.

dodger

Try some Grippers ,,,from wal-mart here not sure where you would look.I put Grippers on my Scalas and one in the middle of the acess panel on bottom which i think helps alot.I got wood floors and it made Scalas alot better.just a thought.Rick

----------------

On 3/1/2005 9:39:16 AM ricktate wrote:

Try some Grippers ,,,from wal-mart here not sure where you would look.I put Grippers on my Scalas and one in the middle of the acess panel on bottom which i think helps alot.I got wood floors and it made Scalas alot better.just a thought.Rick

----------------

Good thought Rick.

Perhaps as a gesture we on the Forum could chip in and send some over.

dodger

Ya know...I just realized that I was confusing laminate with linoleum! No wonder the picture looked wierd to me, lol. Anyways, I still think the fake laminate floor (the kind with the plastic-like surface) still sounds worse than real wood.

sorry for the confusion 15.gif

The linoleum with the "forever" coating can be the worst.

We all remember things differently at times that's why we're human.

Did you read any response as to th bass on the mini K-horn? I didn't see one, but you may well have.

You'll have a PM

dodger

Pergo? Yuck! Do you want a WOOD floor or a bunch of pieces of MDF with pictures of wood on them?

Someday a guy might want to sand and refinish that floor, ain't goin' there with Pergo.

Granted the laminated wood "pictures" may last quite awhile, but once it's fried there's nothing you can do but tear it up and replace it.

I would think it would rather tough to make Pergo look like 5 inch Select Red Birch after the final finish coat, or that creamy look of Maple.

Or any type of wood flooring for that matter.....

----------------

On 3/1/2005 2:56:57 PM mike stehr wrote:

Pergo? Yuck! Do you want a WOOD floor or a bunch of pieces of MDF with pictures of wood on them?

Someday a guy might want to sand and refinish that floor, ain't goin' there with Pergo.

Granted the laminated wood "pictures" may last quite awhile, but once it's fried there's nothing you can do but tear it up and replace it.

I would think it would rather tough to make Pergo look like 5 inch Select Red Birch after the final finish coat, or that creamy look of Maple.

Or any type of wood flooring for that matter.....

----------------

The worst part is pergo is just as expensive...I know because we put wood floor in our entire house by ourselves (well we paid to get the finishing done). We have friends who got pergo around the same time we did and our floor looks the same as it did new (maybe a few knicks here and there), but our friend's had to replace about a third of their tiles and they don't wear well at all. Getting water on the floor just ruins pergo.

I would love that, though i don't know what u mean by grippers.. thats probably not the word for it here so that's why i dont know what a gripper is. can u show me a pic perhaps? If it's usefull I would love a couple... and would be so nice if you can send it to me, that would be like awesome !

thanks !! 10.gif

Thanks Dodger and the rest for this! mailed you Dodger ! 9.gif

What is a gripper exactly? I do have the standard plastic kinda spikes that you get with the RF5. Is a gripper some device to put under the speakers, so in other words the speakers are standing on grippers?

hope someone can explain this to me, very noobish i am yes 16.gif