Great Quotes (Music Related)

garymd

Rich Mullins, one of my favorite all time muscians said the all of the following. He died a few years ago in a tragic auto accident. He was a Christian musician who really knew how to cut through the crap found in a lot of churches and get to the heart of the matter. Also, read his quote in my signature...

Rich Mullins: The end is that God made man. He created him in His own image. He created him out of dust. He breathed into him the breath of life. Man became a living soul. He gave man sexuality. He created them male and female. And he gave man work. And I am just doing my work. I am not trying to write great albums. I'm not trying to write great songs. I'm not trying to do any of that. What I'm trying to do is be faithful. If I were a plumber, most plumbers don't say, "Man I'm going to come up with the most original arrangement of pipes here." But when you flush your toilet, if things go the way they should go, you are very thankful that the plumber was doing their job.

Rich Mullins: People say "Why do you write music?" and I always say "Well, how many of Wesley's sermons do you know?" And I've talked to a lot of good Methodists and they don't know any of them. Then I say, "Well, how many of Wesley's hymns do you know?" and most churchgoers know at least a good solid dozen hymns that Wesley wrote. Most pagans know at least a couple. And I kind of go, that is why I write music and not sermons.

Rich Mullins: A lot of times we think something spiritual is happening and it is merely aesthetics. That is why it always bugs me at the end of a concert someone will say, "Wow the Spirit really worked" and I kind of go, "How would you even be able to know that? It was so noisy in here tonight. How would you know if the Spirit was working?" "Well, I was really moved." Well, that is an emotional thing. That's not a spiritual thing. A spiritual thing is folding your clothes at the end of the day. A spiritual thing is making your bed. A spiritual thing is taking cookies to your neighbor that's shut in or raking their front lawn because they are too old to do it. That's spirituality. Getting a warm, oozy feeling about God is an emotional thing. There is nothing wrong with it. I think there is nothing more practical than real spirituality. But nothing more fun than just a good heartfelt emotional experience of God because I think emotions are good. They are only dangerous when we come away from an experience where we were emotionally manipulated and we confuse that with being convicted. I think conviction - there is an emotion that accompanies that but it certainly goes deeper than just coming away going, "Oh isn't God neat? Two different worlds."

Rich Mullins "The thing that's cool about music is how unnecessary it is, of all things, music is the most frivolous and the most useless. You can't eat it, you can't drive it, you can't live in it, you can't wear it. But your life wouldn't be worth much without it."

If you are up for some deep thoughts, check out the website constructed in his honor. It contains all of his music, writings and interviews. www.kidbrothers.net

I miss you rich

8.gif

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Err. I suppose this is all a triubute to music, in words.

It is like a common bromide: One picture is worth a thousand words.

But that praise of one picture can not be expressed in a picture, only words. Sort of contradictory.

For me, music is brain food passed along. Sentiment, intellect, and stuff which can't be otherwise expressed.

Gil

"Computer games don't affect kids. I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music."

Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

From the old Guiness Book of World Records, Loudest Band in the World category. During a concert, Ian Gillan, singer for Deep Purple, speaking into the mic to the stage monitor engineer:

"Make everything louder than everything else"

Michael

First of all, I am one of those who really, really like licorice.....

"It's like making love to Christie Brinkley, it ain't gonna happen."--Ed Shaunessy

"OK why not, it's not your fault and I'm never going to fly this airline again anyway."---Jimmy Page

"French horns, listen to how the tympanist phrases this, that's how you should do it."---John Giordano

"I could make you into a monster."---can't remember who

----------------

On 3/4/2005 2:29:49 PM minn_male42 wrote:

"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."

Miles Davis

"For me, music and life are all about style."

Miles Davis

"I'll play it first and tell you what it is later."

Miles Davis

"It's always been a gift with me, hearing music the way I do. I don't know where it comes from, it's just there and I don't question it."

Miles Davis

----------------

And don't forget this one:

"Who's the white b!tch?"

Davis to Columbia execs when they showed him a copy of his first LP for Columbia "Miles Ahead."

dsc04373.jpg

Davis was so pissed off that when the LP went into a second pressing Columbia CHANGED the LP jacket!

The "sailboat" cover is now very collectible!

This is the second cover:

df_1_b.JPG

I think this is important because for the first time an African American jazz artist put his foot down and the record label did the right thing. The first cover is racist in that it features a lily white woman enjoying a VERY lily white activity and I think Davis was right to blow his top.

----------------

On 3/4/2005 4:44:55 PM J.4knee wrote:

----------------

On 3/4/2005 2:11:42 PM Frzninvt wrote:

"It's better to burn out, than fade away"

Def Leppard----------------

Wasn't that Neil Young on Hey Hey My My ?

----------------

Neil Young said it first, but he said it on "My My, Hey Hey (Out of the Blue)". That song also has "It's better to burn out than it is to rust." The lyric from "Hey Hey, My My (Into the Black) is "It's better to burn out, 'cause rust never sleeps."

All that comes with a big "IIRC" on it. If I've misremembered, I'm sure someone will kindly point that out. 1.gif

Jimi Hendrix, spoken in between songs or in a musical lull just before he pulled the strings off the sucker:

"you clap or you can leave, we're just jamming"

Jim Morrison, American Prayer album, spoken word

" my gang will get you"

"death gives us wings sharp as raven's claws"

"I touched her thigh and death smiled"

Michael

"Music produces a kind of pleasure that human nature cannot do without."

Confucius

"When we get onstage, we really want to be transformed from ordinary players to extraordinary ones, like forces of a larger consciousness. So maybe it's that seat-of-the-pants shamanism that keeps the audience coming back and that keeps it fascinating for us too."

Jerry Garcia