Ideal room dimensions for klipsch THX Ultra 2?

Blackmesa

I don't know what the exact dimensions are, but I've heard that a room that is flared out is best... Meaning that the back of the room is wider than the front... I could be wrong, but that's what I seem to recall.

Not to keep giving you the answers you're not looking for, but why do you want to know? Are you planning on building a room from scratch or trying to choose between two different rooms?

In all seriousness, the ideal room would be one without walls (so basically outside). Obviously this is not possible.

There are two factors to consider when trying to choose dimensions for a room. First is bass response. There are all sorts of standing waves happening in our rooms and the goal is to arrive at the flattest frequency response. There are all sorts of ratios out there to choose from...a quick search into the rest of this section on the forum should yield you good results (or perhaps someone that remembers them might chime in). The second aspect to consider is how many people you want to fit in your room. Once that number is established and the seating arrangement is planned out, the next step is to decide an optimum location for your speakers based on their dispersion patterns...and then "draw" the walls around that setup. Basically, you want every "important" seat to be within the dispersion pattern of every speaker.

• 2 weeks later...

----------------

On 3/24/2005 11:51:32 AM IndyKlipschFan wrote:

Piranha

Answering Machine

Pressure pressure..thanks a lot!!
----------------

lol....I am pulling your leg Roger. I am looking forward to hearing it though. It will help me decide if my La Scala's are going on eBay, or if I am buying the THX Ultra system to compliment them.

The optimal dimensions?

I think you need to impose a few restraints, as their is not one absolute room, nor are their optimal dimensions, as issues such as surface reflectivity, whether the surfaces are parallel, what spewakers you are considering, etc. all have significant bearing upon the answer!

I fear you are asking a question akin to what is the perfect car, lest you get the response similar to: one that goes from 0-warp instantaneously, consumes no fuel, and is completely safe for occupants and pedestrians, is immune to traffic signals, operates in stealth mode relative to the cops, yet never presents an unsafe situation to provoke the cops, and also has the internal acoustics to rival the Bass Performance Hall, mows your grass, feeds your dog, and costs nothing to operate or purchase, etc.! and many more qualities that others can ingeniously contribute!

There are many modelling programs where you can acoustically model proposed rooms, or where you can import rooms into the programs and examine them acoustically, such as EASE/EARS, CATT-A, Ulysses, Odeon, PHD, and others.

But as asked, I fear you have left available every concievable

option, and as a result it is difficult to provide any kind of definative answer.

2.gif

Also, is the a particular reason that you are wishing to make it a "THX" compliant room? As essentially you are building a large theater... For what it is worth, THX compliance is not a necessary prerequisite to achieving similar listening standards, levels and intelligibility.

I assume that you have already looked at the THX website: http://www.thx.com/index.html

With all due respect, I think that the certification dees not actually 'design' your room, if you will, but simply provides that the room is designed to meet basic acoustical parameters. In addition hey provide for listening levels, etc.

I mention this only if you were concerned that THX certification implied a 'best' way to do things... In this it is similar to ISO, in that it does NOT imply a best way of operation, but rather that the process is certified and meets minimum standards of consistancy.

But, of course the choice is yours.