Upgrading Klipschorn Woofers

megafishnd

The 2226H is a pretty good candidate for La Scalas. It might work in a K-horn, but most of the high power drivers in its class give up some bottom. High power absorbtion would be it's primary advantage, it it had one.

The free air resonense of the 2226, 2225, and later 2205. are too high . The D130 also too high without modification, The early version of 2205 (first year production) Fit the bill but JBL changed cone perimiters & Fe went out the window. Some guys found the JBL 150-4/E145 most pleasing. But cost of that woofer is beyond reach of tweekers on this forum (except me).

Colin....There is alot of problems...The k33 is a cheapass looking woofer but it works beautifuly. Some people would like a cast basket, plus 4" voicecoil. But other perimeters are not met...I rember Pwk using a special chemicle (DBP) to lower resonence of cone. It took him about an hour on each woofer. I have only found 3 other woofers that would work beautifully in the Khorn and they are now not manufactored. One of witch would cost (used) $1000. I have all three plus the K33. The three have better definition in the 200hz to 500hz area than the K33 but all are ideaticle below 40 hz in the Khorn.

----------------

On 3/11/2005 10:12:00 AM Maron Horonzak wrote:

I have only found 3 other woofers that would work beautifully in the Khorn and they are now not manufactored. One of witch would cost (used) $1000. I have all three plus the K33. The three have better definition in the 200hz to 500hz area than the K33 but all are ideaticle below 40 hz in the Khorn.

----------------

Maron -- what are the three? (Out of idle curiosity)

Larry

Note that just about everything that you can get new is 8 Ohms these days. The JBL D-140 (an electric organ woofer) now out of production is a nice replacement for Khorns, etc. Bear in mind that a 8 Ohms VC means use a larger slot in Khorns, LS, Belles, than the 3x13" since '62 for the K33.

New drivers that I am thinking about because some DVD's exceed the safe use of a K33E, IMO:

The Eminence Legend CB15 looks interesting for a horn. Also the EV 155-EVX is a contender, as is the JBL 2226, and the Altec 515 is a bit low on power handling, but VERY efficient at 104db sensitivity (you're already home).

The Dayton 15" cast frame is a real contender at the same price as a K33E with the appropriate specs. Bonus! its rated at 500 watts.

DM2.gif

ole bat ears horonzak is correct on the jbl woofers. i have a pair of 2205h & a pair of e-145h. i compared the 2 drivers with the stock k33.i did plot a graph in the ole sweet seat with a radio shack meter 12' in the room. i used a stereophile disk for low sounds. bottom line, the jbl drivers are more effecient almost 3 db. the e 145 goes lower & has more bottom end. the 2205 seems to have more bloom in the 150 to 250 hz area. on low string instruments, the pluck & the timber & harmonics were more evident. all 3 drivers had the 280 hz to 350 hz weakness inherant in the horn.yes, a suckout of 6db. can i hear it ? no! but the meter shows it on all 3 drivers. i sold the k33 drivers & permantly installed the e 145 drivers. the 2205 drivers went in another system.

bottom line, a 4" vc has less distortion & the sound is a moderate improvement. the cost to upgrade after you sell the k33 drvers? between 100.00 & 200.00. is it worth it? djk & bat ears horonzak told me to do it. yes, imo, it was worth it.

happy tunes

On the JBL 2205....There are three versions. Its the very early one that works. You have to look at the outer surround & see 4 pleated rolls That is the one to find & had a free air resonence below 30hz. The later 2205 units had a double roll & Fe moved up to 35hz & then 40hz. It later morfed into 2225 and that into 2226 I wouldnt recommend the 2226. As far as the E140 that is a spin off of the JBL 130 Remember the 130 would burn out at high power levels It morfed into F130 F for fender 7 later F140 and then E140 all to take the power without catching on fire. That linage has quite a histery. The K145 and E145 are high power morfings of the old 150-4 The collecters will pay big bucks for that woofer. The Vitavox woofer is the other woofer that works very well in the Khorn. The vitavox Khorn is the cadillac of the Klipschorn linage. Well built and well stacked. (like Amy). There is no substitute for quality.

What about the other bass drivers that were actually used by PWK in the Klipschorn of various generations?

1. EV 15WK

2. Jensen P15LL

3. Stephens Trusonic

4. University C15W (variable impedence)

Would any of these be an upgrade over the stock Eminence or CTS K33? I think at some point the EV was regarded as an upgrade by Klipsch and available as an exta-cost option.

Thanks for any info.

triceratops

I have four JBL E145s.

I paid $350 a pair for them and they need to be re-coned.

Using JBL parts will cost about $200 each.

This means I will have about $1400 in the set of four.

A lot of money?

The MSRP when discontinued was over $500 each.

DJK ...No thats not alot of money. Thats a good investment. Cone kits are still available from JBL. The problem with the other types used in the Khorn EV, University, Stephens etc Is trying to get fresch cones/voicecoils if needed. JBL still has a vast inventory of parts for their speakers.

I may be missing (or misunderstanding) something that's already in the thread, but is their a more robust "drop in" replacent for the K33 that is of current manufacture? Are all the "satisfactory" current manufacture units 8 ohm units, which would require enlarging the 3x13?

Having more detailed upper bass is an exciting possibility with Khorn. More extended low end would never be a bad thing either.