Looking to buy LA SCALAS in nyc area (otherwise ship)

tofu

hi there, i've been looking for la scalas for a while. i'm looking to spend around the $1200-1300 mark shipped (sorry, can't go any higher) and around ~$1000 local pickup. i live in queens nyc.

i'd also accept la scalas with badly damaged cabinets, but i'd like that to be reflected in the price.

thanks a lot. i don't seem to be having too much luck with ebay/audiogon/craigslist.

-chris

edit: oh, if you wish to contact me by e-mail, it is tofu@phile.net thanks again.

edit: 5/13/05 increased price

I don't have exact historical records, but seems more like $1000 to $1200 for any pair of normal LS in operational condition from Ebay or at Forum. Who's the keeper of the numbers these days?

btw, add $1495 for a pair of mint split industrial Fibreglass/Aluminum LaScalas that I just purchased from Detroit area.

also saw a pair of mint non-split industrials glass/al with ANVIL road cases in CA that went for $1600.00

EDIT- there was a pair of dark stained BirchRaw sold for $838 and another pair for $999 recently on Ebay if that helps you out. There were a lot of Birch LS made, some have been kept nude, some have horrible stain jobs. Seems like very few of the select hardwoods ones ever come up for sale, mostly Oak from what I've seen. Did Klipch make many LS in other hardwoods like Walnut? Don't know that I've ever seen a pair.

Michael

----------------

On 3/15/2005 2:53:19 PM tofu wrote:

hi there, i've been looking for la scalas for a while. i'm looking to spend around the $800 mark with less than $200 for shipping/handling (if needed). i live in queens nyc.

i'd also accept la scalas with badly damaged cabinets, but i'd like that to be reflected in the price.

thanks a lot. i don't seem to be having too much luck with ebay/audiogon/craigslist.

-chris

edit: oh, if you wish to contact me by e-mail, it is tofu@phile.net thanks again.

----------------

there is a pair on ebay now in the baltimore aera they are the black industrial version could simply repaint to have these look good, i am the buyer of the 838.00 pair 1 and a half hours north of you i will be picking mine up this weekend i would work out a deal to pick up the ones in baltimore and meet you to deliver them for a small fee if you were to bid and win them they are at 350.00 now with no bids10.gif Joe

----------------

On 3/15/2005 3:11:07 PM Frzninvt wrote:

Here you go! These should be within driving distance for you. Save the $200 for something else it would have never covered shipping anyway. Perhaps it could go towards renting a truck.

----------------

i'll keep an eye on this pair. theres still over 5 days left on them, from the condition they're in, it looks like they'll go for over a grand

thanks

I just bought a pair of LS BR in Texas shipped to Ohio for $910 ($710 + $200 shipping). They were misspelled "Klipsh", which means I don't think there was a lot of ebay exposure. I have gotten a couple of good deals on ebay, when people are careless and don't check their spelling. Oops! I guess I just gave away my secret!

goodday members,

tofu,

i found these in other areas of the froum hopeful they are some asstiance to you and i send to pm about the the top half f/s in cherry hill nj.

good shopping

peace

yendor

mcp

Cool Newbie

Total Posts: 27

Last Post: 3/27/2005

Subscribe to this author

I have no connection to the seller, but, I noticed an ad in the local swap sheet for a pair of La Scalas in good condition; $1050 or BO for anyone interested. Phone # is (315)256-1831 (Tully, NY).

I have no connection to the seller, but, I noticed an ad in the local swap sheet for a pair of La Scalas in good condition; $1050 or BO for anyone interested. Phone # is (315)256-1831 (Tully, NY).

»2-Channel Audio

»lascalas on nyc craiglist

Can post new topics: Can post new replies:

Anonymous: No Anonymous: No

Member: Yes Member: Yes

Moderator: Yes Moderator: Yes

Forum moderators: Stephen Phillips, Steve W. Bailey, Trey Cannon

lascalas on nyc craiglist

jackbean Posted: 3/27/2005 7:31:42 AM

jackbean

Total Posts: 2

Last Post: 3/28/2005

Subscribe to this author

there is a pair of lascalas in unfinished birch for 650.00 listed sat afternoon @2:30 pm in new jersey

Revisions : 0 / Posted: 3/27/2005 7:31:42 AM / IP: Recorded

Previous Page Next Page

Jump to: Select Forum Home Audio - Technical Questions - 2-Channel Audio - Home Theater - Updates and Modifications - Architectural - Powered Subwoofers - General Questions - The Klipsch Pilgrimage Commercial Audio - Commercial Audio Multimedia - ProMedia 5.1 - ProMedia Ultra 2.0 - ProMedia 4.1 - ProMedia 2.1 - GMX Systems - ProMedia Accessories - Customer Service Klipsch Website - Website Entertainment - DVD's, Music and Movies - Gaming Computers - Sound Cards - General Questions Aragon Electronics - Aragon General Questions - Amps - Pre-Amps - Mondial Designs General Questions Klipsch en Español - Preguntas Generales iPod® Solutions - Klipsch iFi System

Administration / Moderation / Contact Us / Back Home / Privacy Statement

Ideal BB Version: 0.1.4.2 Message forum software powered by the Ideal BB

Forum software by:

Copyright © 2001-2002 Ideal Science, Inc.

Hey Tofu,

The $650 ones in Jersey on Craigslist are beat. I checked into them cause I was looking for LS's also. Turns out they were hung, so thye have holes in the top. Also, both original woofers were blown, so they must have been blasted. Suspect damage to horns as well. Woofers were replaced with incorrect JBLs. All in all, would need a rebuild.

I don't think I'm going to be getting LaScalas. They just seem way too overpriced. $1300 is too much for these things. Not when I bought my Cornwalls for $350, I just can't see it.

-Jon

I would be careful buying La Scalas at any price....It is well documented that these speakers have an uncanny way of causing their owners to smile at higher and higher decibel levels while inversely causing their neighbors to howl in protest. These speakers have been linked to permanent and irreversible evictions. BEWARE!!! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!! ACHTUNG!!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Tofu,

I have a pair of La Scalas from 1976(9P214 & 9P215). I purchased them from the original owner five years ago as a match to my Bottlehead amps & preamp. About two years ago I built my own cornerhorns and moved the La Scalas to the basement mainly because they were too big for any other room. Being thirty years-old they're still in good shape. All the drivers are original, as well as the AA cross-over. And all function perfectly.

If your still looking and are interested in seeing them, I live off I95 in Connecticut, about 45 minutes from the Throgs Neck or Whitestone bridge.

Also, the gentleman I purchased them from lives 40 minutes north of me so I was able to avoid having them shipped. I also have the original boxes and manual.

Regards,

Gerry

Hi Earle,

How far are you from I95-exit 21 in Fairfield? Your welcome to come and look at them. If you like them make me an offer. I don't have a digital camera otherwise I'd post a picture. They're LS-BR's, and according to the original owner they were stained with min-wax. Except for the usual dust-bunnies they're in good shape and work perfectly.

Regards,

Gerry

• 3 weeks later...

bump :D

offer price increased

edit: there is a guy on audiogon that will ship his '67 scalas to a freight depot to me for $1300. i'm a little weary because he could not suppply any more pictures than the two small ones he sent and his word that "they look good for 38 year old speakers." the only upside these speakers have is the fact that he's willing to ship (to a depot via freight) and the university driver upgrades, but i'm not sure how much value that adds. he said the cabinets were badly stained as well.

what do you guys think?