Teac AL700P (Tripath) Impressions

Erukian

mine showed up today, got it wired up to the 333ES and the Khorns. used the volume controls on the back since I haven't been able to get my minibox built.

Out of the box overall it's at least as good as my modded-n-rodded HF-81. Imaging is way better, the EICO isn't real strong there. At 30W/channel it's much more powerful than anything else I've had hooked up to the Khorns. It has an effortless feel to it, smooth and powerful. I've had the EICO hooked up for quite awhile, I was expecting to be in a "period of adjustment" for some time but it isn't happening at all. This thing is just plain good. I'll leave it on for a couple days, see how it pans out.

It's better than I expected, the acoustic bass in Black and White Night is dead on. I've got a Blind Boys disc that has some cool bass on it, listen to it tomorrow.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'll tell you one thing I hate about it. The binding posts. No option but bare wire. I plan to cut that collar down to nothing for the roadshow unit, and the other as well. It took some wrassling to get even the vintage-sized spades in there.

OK guys,

I've owned mine for 8 hours so far and have not hooked it up yet because I had to work late (I also received a Toshiba 3950 today that is still in teh box and have listened to the AH Njoe Tjoeb that I received last week for about an hour - man working for a living sucks!!)

Well, I can't own this Teac unit for this long (8 hours)without the bug biting me, what mods can I do to this thing?

Don't just tell me to change the caps, I want values, brand name reccomendations ($300 of hovlands for a $100 amp?) schematics, etc.

One thing I know that I need to do is to design a better chassis for this thing! You were not kidding when you said "empty shoebox."

Chris

Like i've said before. The tripath amps are the sum of their parts. If you feel the bass is weak (which i dont, it's actually stronger past 35hz than my vintage HK) you can replace the caps. TONS and TONS of modding room in there, both space inside and how everything is so spaced out on the boards.

For $100, it's a fine product, but i'm sure they had to make some cuts on some parts. ie, the binding posts, maybe some caps. I bet this amp could sound a whole lot finer modded though, but for me, it's "good enough" as is. I can't imagine a $100 investment sounding better, honestly.

-Joe

I have now lost track and can't be bothered to wade through this whole thread again. Is there anyone who was using a more powerful amp than the 700P who has tried it and been blown away.

I only ask because the point that keeps coming up time and again is that the power is "effortless" from people who were using low powered amps.

As my current amp is 70 wpc ultralinear I dont think that that is something I am going to experience.

As it happens I have another way to try out 30 digital watts. We are planning to buy a bunch of those JVC all in one units for the houses we are selling. That happens to be 30 watts too. I will try it out driving my system (it has a line in - so I can run it both on the built in DVD-A player and on the vinyl rig). I will report back on how it plays as soon as I get round to picking the thing up.

Ben observed that: " Music has nothing to do with budget, ideally. The main thing is that I enjoy it for how it sounds."

I very much relate to this sentiment, although of course many will not. I can say that our system, with all of its seven speakers and very digital personality, is something that only a year ago I would never have dreamed of having. Money, a concept that seems stranger to me by the day, indeed has nothing whatever to do with this. it's simply that vacuum tube amplifiers and preamps, along with thier heavy transformers and glowing filaments, were things I coveted. The hardware was very much a part of the hobby; and in fact so much so that music sort of stopped becoming an end itself, but rather the means by which I would test new components -- which for me, as some others here, happened to be things I made.

I know I have mentioned PWK's minibox as a truly pivotal discovery, but it was one that, in light of Ben's statement above, brought about the most positively significant change in the overall sound of our music hardward. It also cost next to nothing to make. Compared to all of the other components we have, the minibox is absolutele simplicity.

I have a tendancy to blabber on, so I'm going to cut myself off and just say that the Teac, used as the front stage amplifier or our surround system, sounds so good and is so completely quiet (IN 100% ORIGINAL FORM)that I don't sit an analyze its sonic attributes the way I would my own amplifiers, new tubes, new coupling capacitors, different output topologies, etc. It (the Teac) reminds of very good quiet students in my classes that simply do what they are asked, the best they can and without any fuss. The Teac does its job of amplifying muscial signals in a very similar way. The cheap binding posts and flimsy volume controls notwithstanding (which have zero to do with how the amp sounds), that such quality amplification is available for under $100 makes a rather strong statement regarding equipment priced on the fringes space.

Erik

----------------

On 4/7/2005 11:54:34 PM ben. wrote:

Rick, good points all around. Kepp in mind that I always mean LF extension, not effects, as in the Dubly lingo. I agree that the design may be skewed away from truly full range use, despite its published spec of 20-20K.

Your comment regarding daytime use in the summer makes sense. Much of the wiring in my home is cloth covered, and while that may be desirable in a Dynaco, it simply reveals the vintage of my WWII era home. Last summer was an either audio
or
air situation, as the breakers would trip after a while with the Mcs and air going at the same time. The heat output is less a concern, as the 30s run pretty cool now. Of course, the window shaker really prevents any quality listening anyway. I had considered a new A/C, as they are getting really cheap now, and more efficient.

The price/performance thing is an issue I am hesitant to dwell upon too much. Wifey asked me last night what the new box was with the blue light, and I (truthfully for a change) told her it was a cheap item. For backup and just fooling with. I told her what I had in it, and that I could flip it on eBay or whatever at no loss when I felt like it. She had heard it now for a few days, and she said, "Well, you're not going to sell it are you?" I alomost fell off the couch. I'll probably sell some old SS stuff I've got kicking around instead. She'll be happy to see the surface area return to the dresser in the bedroom...

I'm trying to keep the price out of my mind as I evaluate it. Music has nothing to do with budget, ideally. The main thing is that I enjoy it for how it sounds. This had worked to my detriment in the past with basses, amps, guitars, drums, and microphones. Plus lately, I've been itching for a Zydeco squeezebox, a banjo,
and
an acoustic bass dobro. Please help me...

----------------

If you can't listen to your stereo and run the air conditioner at the same time you might want to call a qualified electrical contractor.6.gif

>>

I'll tell you one thing I hate about it. The binding posts. No option but bare wire. I plan to cut that collar down to nothing for the roadshow unit, and the other as well. It took some wrassling to get even the vintage-sized spades in there.

>>

The binding posts on the Teac accept banana plugs.

----------------

On 4/8/2005 6:24:10 AM r.cherry wrote:

If you can't listen to your stereo and run the air conditioner at the same time you might want to call a qualified electrical contractor.
6.gif

----------------

No kidding!

----------------

On 4/8/2005 2:10:02 AM maxg wrote:

I have now lost track and can't be bothered to wade through this whole thread again. Is there anyone who was using a more powerful amp than the 700P who has tried it and been blown away.

I only ask because the point that keeps coming up time and again is that the power is "effortless" from people who were using low powered amps.

As my current amp is 70 wpc ultralinear I dont think that that is something I am going to experience.

As it happens I have another way to try out 30 digital watts. We are planning to buy a bunch of those JVC all in one units for the houses we are selling. That happens to be 30 watts too. I will try it out driving my system (it has a line in - so I can run it both on the built in DVD-A player and on the vinyl rig). I will report back on how it plays as soon as I get round to picking the thing up.

----------------

Umm.....I qualify. I typically use 35 and 65 watt push-pull tube amps as well as 200 watt solid-state stuff. Volume-wise, it has slightly-less guts than my 35 watt push-pull amp. So, no, you would not expect it to perform like your 70 watter. Still, for speakers over 100 db efficiency-wise, it still has no problem pushing them loud. Really, really loud?? No, it cannot do that.

Carl.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a side note, these are still available at needledoctor.com I missed out on the whole wildwestelectronics sale, but oh well. I got it for 99 + 21 dollars shipping (ouch). I had to drive down to Pt. Roberts to pick it up, so i had to pay another 17 dollars for the bloody customs fee. :( But if you guys need it, they're still around. Had mine for an hour. out of the box it's not a bad amp, but i'll give it some time to break it in. Love the discussions going on in this forum, glad to be here :)

Any chance this tripath chip is in the ProMedia 2.0's? I've heard the 2.0's are mean little guys with good sound. It just raised some suspicion with me when I seen the specs at 15w x 2ch.

Sorry for the hijack. Felt ashamed for starting a new topic with this question in the 2 channel area.

Gib

afaik bash amps at that wattage are much much cheaper than tripath chips.

Tripath is great imho, for powering stuff like big speakers.

For nearfield speakers like the PM 2.0's, the fidelity isnt quite up there so they don't need an amp much better than the bash amp.

So no, it's just a cheap amp. Otherwise if it wasnt, the pair of speakers would cost more than a mere $99 :)

• 1 month later...

Hey Joe,

Been following the T-amp threads over at YahooGroups tnt-audioaddicts and stumbled upon your recent post there(tues 31) which led me to this discussion. And to my purchace of a Teac AL700P thru Needle Doctor @ $99.- plus $7.00 shipping w/U.S. Postal...

Thanks for the heads up!

I have a pair of Klipsch:, Synergy SB3 bookshelf 2way (94db@ 1/1) having the 8in. woofer which I'll mate to the Teac for stero nearfield listenin' direct digital sourced from Sirius over my DishNetwork sat reciever........

Question is: Do you guys find a preamp would be necessary ? I believe the answer is that it would be somewhat of a sonic benifit, if I understand corectly some posters here w/regards to their findings; However, a preamp isn't mandatory due to the pot on the Teac. Confirm this to be so, and I would be greatful.

This thread seems to have gone quiet as to others experiences and follow ups.

Again, thanx for the heads up!2.gif

WoW....That was a quick reply parrot10.gif

I've been a lurker here on & off for years having always been interested in the hi eff. of the Klipsch products. Seem to be a natural low cost hook up to match with the low powered tripath amps & figured I would give it a shot myself. Not yet being a DIYer, I figured the cost benefit ratio of this Teac would be an interesting introduction to both tripaths and this forum.

Thanx for the welcome 2.gif

Finthen:

Welcome to the "submission" phase for you, on this lovely forum !!!

I am using a pre-amp w/ my Teac Tripaths and it definitely makes the difference.

I agree, a pre-amp does make a difference.

I used the Teac without a pre for a month or so and thought it sounded fine, very smooth and detailed. But I recently added a Blueberry to the mix and viola, much better separation and imaging, and, to my ears, the combo is even smoother than the Teac alone.

-PB

Pierceb & Born2....

Thanks for the confirmation and your experience. Suppose I too will give the amp a month play time and begin adding to it with a tube pre which is what I have always actually wanted to do with a yet to be determined S.S. power amp, and of course upgrade the mains until nirvana, or is that neuroticism is diagnosed prescribing the next upgrade etc....2.gif

BTW I did want to update that Needledoctor called to confirm my order and shipping would be $15 by UPS Ground as the box would not go U.S.Mail@ $7.00 , which I agreed to, it going out tommorow. And, I asked if there were more of these TEAC AP700P on hand, and was told Needledoctor did buy up a bunch of the now discontinued stock. I maybe doing return bness....Biamp or maybe ...........