Bob, Dean, and Al... x overs

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

colterphoto1

What capacitors are in your B3 networks for your Cornwall II's? The Cornwall II schematic is located in this post. I am just not sure which version this is, B2 or B3. I can't read schematics, but it appears to have a couple of inductors, 3.0, 3.0 and .16 mHy and one big *** capacitor, 68, and a 3 and two 1.5 uF capacitors.

http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=60291&forumID=66&catID=19&search=1&searchstring=&sessionID={9545211D-3440-4FFA-99D5-1D332DC61D6B}

The B networks are simple by comparison, a 2.4 or 2.5 mHy solid wire inductor and a 2.0 and 4.0 capacitor. A lot cheaper to build and they do sound quite good.

Don

download.asp?mode=download&fileID=35241&

Original caps in a Cornwall Type B network. They would be the oval shaped cans, one 2.0 uF and the other 4.0 uF. The inductor is to the right and the T2A autoformer is to the left.

Check some of Dean's posts for what a revised version looks like with Auricap polypropylene or Jensen PIO's.

For what is now a number of 6, Appreciation is given to Bob Crites for the Courtesy of answering a question posed in writing THREE (3) times.

Though it may have appeared to be a no brainer, I did agree to post it.

For me in Marketing any product, the answering of questions is important. To others it very well could be the difference as to whom they would use.

dodger

Okay, I'm looking at my B3 network. It has three transformer-looking thingies, those are the 'autoformers' that represent the coil portion of the low-pass networks, right? One says t2a and it has 6 labeled 'taps' on it numbered 0-5. I guess this is what you guys mean when you say 'change the tap from x to z'?

There are two black plastic boxes about 1" square x 1/2 wide that I think are the capacitors with the values 5uF and 2 uF, there is a big oj can about 1 1/2 dia x 4" long that says 70uF, is that another cap? It's wired straight away from the input pos to the woofer neg terminal.

Then there is another little round thingie that looks like it might be another choke. Shouldn't there be some resistors in this to cut the output of the tweet and mid to match the efficiency of the woofer?

All I know is that this is entirely different from my B networks on the 1963's. Looks like I'll be taking the full semester course on Crossovers this summer.

Michael

----------------

On 3/21/2005 7:04:34 PM colterphoto1 wrote:

Okay, I'm looking at my B3 network. It has three transformer-looking thingies, those are the 'autoformers' that represent the coil portion of the low-pass networks, right? One says t2a and it has 6 labeled 'taps' on it numbered 0-5. I guess this is what you guys mean when you say 'change the tap from x to z'?

There are two black plastic boxes about 1" square x 1/2 wide that I think are the capacitors with the values 5uF and 2 uF, there is a big oj can about 1 1/2 dia x 4" long that says 70uF, is that another cap? It's wired straight away from the input pos to the woofer neg terminal.

Then there is another little round thingie that looks like it might be another choke. Shouldn't there be some resistors in this to cut the output of the tweet and mid to match the efficiency of the woofer?

All I know is that this is entirely different from my B networks on the 1963's. Looks like I'll be taking the full semester course on Crossovers this summer.

Michael

----------------

Michael,

The device labeled T2A is the autotransformer. It attenuates the squawker and tweeter to match the woofer.

The 5 uF device is a capacitor the feeds the midrange frequencies to the autotransformer.

The 2 uF device is a capacitor that routes the highs to the tweeter,

The largest of the "transformer looking things" is the woofer inductor. Sends the lows to the woofer.

The 70 uF device keeps highs out of the woofer.

The other "transformer looking" device is a 2.5 mH inductor. (My, that is a weird hook-up. I guess it works.)

The "little round thingie" is a 125 uH inductor that helps keep lows out of the tweeter.

Ok, that is a pretty simplistic explanation and there is more too it than that.

Bob Crites

MCcorns63C1-03sm.jpg

There, that's better, okay, this is a photo of one of the B networks from my 1963 Cornwalls (most recent acquisition) My these are certainly different. Looks to me like the B3 is more complex, possibly 2nd order (12db slope) in a few places????

Michael

Bob, thanks for the explanation, now I've just got to get used to tracing from diagrams onto the board so I know what's what. This is interesting! So if any of these xovers don't have the 'can' oil and paper capacitors, there is little to go wrong, is that correct?

How about that bump at 9 kHz that the K55 has? Will I need to deal with that as well through that 'trap' circuit or implement a lo pass on the sqwaker? (am I getting any better at the terms guys?) The autoformers are just a coil, right, nothing to drift out of spec?

Michael,

That type B in the picture is definately an oldie. From the days of hand wound inductors. Not even sure what the second inductor on that one is for. Most type B networks just have one inductor and one autotransformer along with 2 capacitors.

The caps,wire and connections are the only thing on the networks that would certainly be subject to effects of aging. If the other stuff is effected by aging, it is likely to be over a longer period of time than for the items mentioned earlier.

Bob

Michael,

I forgot earlier to address your question on the (supposed) 9 khz glitch. I have spent a lot of time searching for that glitch since I so often found it mentioned on this forum. I have been unable to find anything really significant at 9 khz in my testing of the K-55V drivers. Perhaps the reason is in this recent post by Tom Brennan.

"The fella tht developed the P Trap (a very experienced old horny and friend of PWK) reports that about 20% of the K-55 drivers he tested had the 9khz flare. One can't assume that one needs a P Trap but it's a good thing to try if your certain older Klipsch sounds harsh and fierce."

Perhaps I just haven't run into one of that 20 percent so far.

Bob Crites

Dean sez..

'That rogue inductor is in series with the squawker.'

So if my new learning is correct Dean, that would indicate a 12 db slope on the high pass side of the squawker, yes? That would be a good thing in terms of driver protection. I should think that this should be required.

Bob, so then does my B-1 pictured here need to have it's caps changed out? I take it those are the two cans bolted to the board. Or could these components be tested individually to see if they're still in spec? For some reason, I would like to keep the 63's as stock as possible.

Looks like the 85's B3 (for center channel) is up to snuff. It's the one described earlier- since it's got so many parts it must also be 12 db slopes.

Probably the ones in need of most care might be the B?'s from my 1974's, which are most likely the B2's. Those speakers have metal horns on K55's and are somewhat harsh.

Re the K55 9 kHz bump, could this be tamed with either the 'trap' or a proper lowpass filter (same thing) as an addition to the xover board? I think I've read that one K55 has solder terminals, one has spring types, only one of which has the 'bump' perhaps that corresponds to the 20% figure?

Sorry so many ??, but I think I'm starting to get a handle on this. It's tough owning all three genres of Corns when there seems to be infinite permututations of this famous cabinet.

I go sleepy sleep now...

Michael

"This new learning amazes me, tell me again Sir Bedevere, how sheep's bladders may be used to prevent earthquakes"

King Arthur- Monty Python Search for the Holy Grail.