Brackets for flush mounting K-77

Deang

Bob, do you or anyone have a photo of these brackets in use? I recall someone saying that PWK didnt' think that front mounting make any difference but notice that the CWII's were all surface mounted. I could probably use 10 of those if they're not too expensive, 5 CW, 2 LS, 2 Heresy.

Thanks,

Michael

Michael,

I don't personally think it makes much difference. I can't see how that the tweeter being on one side of the motor board or the other is very significant. Might have some impact on listening at an angle off center though. I really think that front mounting of horns had more to do with labor saving than anything else. In fact, when I talked last year to a mold maker who claims to make horn molds for Klipsch, he told me that he was working on still another horn design that would "snap in" from the front and be held in place by plastic tabs instead of using screws. Perhaps cut a minute off installation time.

Bob

Michael,

If I'm understanding the Z bracket mounting, (and that is possibly misunderstanding) it wouldn't work on the sealed cab of Cornwall or Heresy. I believe it sits in a larger cutout and mounts the K77 flush, but not sealed. In order to flush mount the K77 on a Cornwall or Heresy, the cutout would need to be somewhat enlarged so that that tiny flare would be flush on the face of the motorboard, but the cutout is still to small for the magnet to go through. I've seem some mounted that way, but it requires taking the magnet off and reassembling from the back side. If I can find a pic of this I'll post it.

Here's a link to some "Studio Monitors" by North American Sound on Ebay right now. I had a pair of the smaller "Squire" (with 12 inch woofs) years ago. They are absolutely killer and have tweets and mid horns mounted in this way.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5762899705&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Thanks DaddyDee, now I understand. I still can't believe that the diffraction effects of the 3/4" ply arent' that disturbing. So many manufacturers have made such a big deal out of eliminating diffraction at the motor board and grill edges that there must be something to it.

I'll look into making the mods on my Corns. But I hate to butcher them up if the diff is negligible. Has anyone measured this in any fashion or just have experience with behind/flush mounting in the same cabinet?

Michael

Yeh, I don't know how much difference it makes. Seems like I've heard people say that PWK didn't think it mattered much. However, Klipsch goes to the trouble to have the Z bracket available.

I'm not able to upload the flush mounted K77. The pic from the Ebay page is pretty large and the server times out before it's uploaded. Don't have the software on this pc to reduce the size. But it could be seen on the link above.

DaddyDee is correct - there is free space around the tweeter. The torx nuts on the front go into the frame, mounted from the back. In fact, the mounting is interesting in itself. The four corners of the tweeter mounting have four rubber/teflon/??? cylinders that make an additional contact to the insides of the rectangular hole in the motorboard - one in each corner. To insure isolation?

paul

"I believe it sits in a larger cutout and mounts the K77 flush, but not sealed. In order to flush mount the K77 on a Cornwall or Heresy, the cutout would need to be somewhat enlarged so that that tiny flare would be flush on the face of the motorboard, but the cutout is still to small for the magnet to go through. "

Another job for Moretite caulk.

I've mounted the tweeter from the front, removing the magnet to do so.

Then you have to modify the grill.

The Z-bracket is a better idea, IMHO.