opinions wanted, tube or mac ss???????

hey guys i am upgradeing again selling the phase linear gear and trying to decide what will be best SS mac, models, 2505, 250, 2100, 2105, any of the models would suite me as i am sure build quality is about the same between them, not really worried about the wpc either these just seem to be what will be in my budget,

or do you find the dynaco 70 tube amp a better amp, and sound

i listen to vinyl 90 percent of the time, i listen to classic rock about 99 percent of the time, my listening level is rarely high but i do get to an old favorite song now and then and do like to crank her abit, although still probably not over 100 db.

speakers are a pair of la scalas, and a pair of cornwalls, tube type pre-amp vtp101i, i see that guy landau has a dynaco for sale here on the forum, so i would have to find a second one, i prefer to run 2 amps

i will tell the truth and say i am leaning twords tubes, but i do like a little bass, nothing obnoxious but a good thump when called for

thanks in advance 10.gif Joe

Any one of the McIntosh autoformer amps will make Khorns sound good, the newer models will have less noise. Tube McIntosh has a slight edge with a horn, problem is the price is significantly higher. Stay with the Mac if you do not plan on tweaking amps forever.

How long has the infamous Mr. Dewick been a Klipsch forum member? Ah.....just a few hours I see. Welcome.

I disagree regarding the comments on tube amp tweaking. There are many in your price range that are easy (and fun) to maintain and will sound great with your Lascalas and/or Cornwalls. If you're keeping it under 100dbs, you don't need a tremendous amount of power, especially with the Lascalas.

----------------

On 3/29/2005 9:22:56 PM garymd wrote:

How long has the infamous Mr. Dewick been a Klipsch forum member? Ah.....just a few hours I see. Welcome.

I disagree regarding the comments on tube amp tweaking. I'm not sure I'd favor the ST70 but there are many others out there in your price range that are easy (and fun) to maintain and will sound great with your Lascalas and/or Cornwalls. If you're keeping it under 100dbs, you don't need a tremendous amount of power, especially with the Lascalas.

----------------

suggestions for other tube amps in my price range that are considered good please 10.gif Joe

Joe, You'd enjoy any of the ones you mentioned including the ST-70. Guy has already brought it up to date and when you feel confident, there are any number of upgrade kits that you can do yourself or "tweaks" as Terry calls them. That's half the fun!3.gif

Tubes ARE a bit more maintainence hungry than SS what with biasing, rolling and what not but, what else do you have to do?2.gif

Rick

My experience here. A properly rebuilt ST70 sounds fanastic with the Klipsch speakers. Plenty of bass. I have a MC2505 and although it looks damn pretty with those big blue meters, I much prefer the ST70. I recently had both of them in my bedroom system with a set of Heresys. In my house, the MC2505 is relegated to a pretty display piece on the den shelf. I'm not sure you'd need two ST70s with any Klipsch speakers. Look for a set of Dyanco monoblocks(Mark III of IV?) if you just have have two amps.

I forgot Guy had an ST-70 for sale. Either that or Mark1101's Scott 222 would sound great with your speakers. I agree that 2 ST-70s are not needed but it's your system. You could start with one and go from there.

I'd be happy to demo my systems for you since we live in the same area. Just bring your favorite music and I'll provide refreshments.3.gif

thanks for all the suggestions so far, i know i dont need 2 amps as far as volume goes but my deal is i have 4 pairs of klipsch speakers 2 pr. cornwalls, the la scalas, and the heresys, i use 2 pair in my 2 channell set up, and i dont like to run the speakers in series or parrallel, the vtp allows for 2 amps that way i can run the 4 speakers

gary you have a return pm

Thanks again to all and keep up the suggestions 10.gif Joe

The first reply is the best IMHO.

I've had a modded ST-70 and it just didn't cut it compared to McIntosh.

The 2100, 2105 are second generation SS. Once they came to the point of the autoformers the sound, reliability came through. You can tell those by the Powergard circuit.

In their tube line McIntosh gets gets knocked - sometimes un fairly. Those that don't know how to set up a tube McIntosh pairing are the ones that have the most negative comments.

If you get a C-20 Pre-Amp you'll hear the bass was bloated or there was no bass. On the back of the unit are two black knobs - trim pots for the bass. Then you have to change to RIAA for Vinyl, away from it for other things.

A pair of MC-60s, a 240, MC-40 monoblocks, MC-30 Monoblocks, or an MC- 225 set up right will last you for years.

I've got at least 30 years each on my MC-60s and (2) MC-240s.

Dynaco is nice, but I've never heard any of their units surpass good McIntosh. At my age, I've heard many Dynacos, set up by many Techs. Good but I like the McIntosh.

dodger

As Dodger says, Terry is right on here.....it's just a matter of how many $$$$ you want to spend.

If it were me, I would stay in Mac. And I did. I have 2 MC250 SS units, and 2 MC30's. Trust me - the MC-30's are my "last word" in Heritage amplification.....I love the total combination of sweetness and power these vintage beauties deliver. If you do go tube, though - be warned: setting up tube Macs (to get the most out of them) requires a fairly good tube set - but the good news is that those tubes will last years in Mac amps.

Unless something drastic happens, the MC-30's will hopefully be the last amplifiers I ever buy for my 2 channel system. They are just dahhhhhhling9.gif

Mac tubes plus Heritage Klipsch is DA BOMB.

Well, if you can afford any of the Mac tube amps, by all means gor for them. They are about 2 to 4 times the price of a decent Dynaco ST70 however.

You asked about the older Mac SS model numbers or an ST70. Given those choices, I'll still pick the ST70 any day. I always think an ST70 is a great way to see if you even like tubes. They don't cost much, they sound great, and if you don't like them, you can resell them for about what you paid.

I will agree with Scott regarding price.

My awswer was also geared to the best performance. In giving that I did lose the original question.

In comparing the McIntosh SS models quoted, I have compared them to tube and IMHO found tube superior.

The bass was more true, less harshness.

Scott is correct on price. Dynaco vs McIntosh. As I have had mine 30 years + it is not fair to note price.

Try the Dynaco, let your ears decide.

Glad you brought the points up Scott. I did exactly what I have made it a point to rant on.

dodger

Dynaco ST70.. are you guys talking stock item or with the Curcio mod like new PCB & triodes instead of 7199 ?

I have a Dynaco which I have, as yet, not heard with my LS. I intend to replace the old phenolic PCB with a (standard 7199) new Cucio board.

As regards Mac tube gear, remember those beauties are highish power class B brutes intended to hammer low efficiency speakers hard, not ideal for sensitive horns happier with class A lower power designs..

"What this country needs is a good 10 Watt amplifier " PWK

" Its the first watt that counts.." Who ever said that(West)

With Klipsch those BigMacs are just idling sub-watt and always riding the class B kink rather than a class A staight line. Unless, that is, you crank them up and risk the inevitable (that is why PWK resorted to fuses and zeners to protect tweeters when the high power rage began in the 60s)The sound is probably very good, all the same, but perhaps not as good as it could be.

I'm not knocking the Macs (I'd love a 275) but not with Klipsch.

----------------

On 3/31/2005 7:35:22 AM KT66 wrote:

Dynaco ST70.. are you guys talking stock item or with the Curcio mod like new PCB & triodes instead of 7199 ?

I have a Dynaco which I have, as yet, not heard with my LS. I intend to replace the old phenolic PCB with a (standard 7199) new Cucio board.

As regards Mac tube gear, remember those beauties are highish power class B brutes intended to hammer low efficiency speakers hard, not ideal for sensitive horns happier with class A lower power designs..

"What this country needs is a good 10 Watt amplifier " PWK

" Its the first watt that counts.." Who ever said that(West)

With Klipsch those Macs are just idling sub-watt and always riding the class B kink rather than a class A staight line. Unless, that is, you crank them up and risk the inevitable (that is why PWK resorted to fuses and zeners to protect tweeters when the high power rage began in the 60s)The sound is probably very good, all the same, but perhaps not as good as it could be.

I'm not knocking the Macs (I'd love a 275) but not with Klipsch.

----------------

With all due respect, after owning my MC-60s and my MC-240s for 30 + years, I barely crank them and have quite linear tracking for righ and left volum at normal listnening levels.

By normal, the variation is from 80 - 90 db depending on transient.

Yes, I could peg a 130 db Pro sound level meter with room to go when I had my LaScalas (2 pair.)

However I have too much respect for my Equipment, my hearing and the structure of my house to do so.

There are too many myths about McIntosh Equipment. As Scott nott notes the Dynaco, there are many that happily couple McIntosh and Klipsch.

It isn't the number of watts - few or many, it's how many you put through the speakers. I don't disagree on lower powered P-P or SET amps. That's the indivividual's choice.

But I have never blown a speaker, pushed an amp to clipping or distortion. We agree on more than what shows on the surface - respect for equipment.

dodger

----------------

On 4/1/2005 10:45:04 PM Thumpelstiltskin wrote:

Joe,

I can highly recommend the McIntosh MC-2205 amp. It's normally more expensive than the other amps you mentioned, but there's one on Audiogon right now for $850. THAT'S A STEAL!!! The seller is in Ft. Worth, TX.

Here's a link:

Good luck, Rick.

----------------

thanks for the heads up, i just emailed the seller will see where he is at total with shipping 10.gif joe

To one degree or another I think most everyone is a bit biased towards the set up they've put together and tweeked a bit,....I'm no exception.

I have a ST70 that's had all the caps replaced and that's it. I use it most of the time with a McIntosh C11 pre from 1961 that's totally stock. My La Scalas sound so warm, just exquisite. I recently hooked it to a Scott 299D that's been completely redone by Charlie at Vacuum Tube Valley. (total cost including the amp. itself ($1000.)

I have about $500.0 in my ST70 as it is.

Scott products or for that matter a Dynaco ST70 that has had caps. replaced so that there is little or no "Hum" at all is very difficult to beat. These guys had it so right all those years ago that I can't see any reason to use solid state gear with such sensitive/efficient speakers.

If you had a more difficult speaker to drive I could see going solid state.

My two centavos,...

Regards,

Bill Woodward