next best to Khorns ? - LaScala ?

smuttynose

What are the next best 'heritage vintage' speakers to the khorns?

I am getting set to purchase another set of speakers of the heritage vintage and deciding between jumping all the way to the ultimate klipschorns or taking the next step, maybe skipping a couple, to lascalas. I am not sure I can place the horns exactly in the corner of the room and don't want to be disappointed because of this. In the case of such non ideal location, would the lascala be my best bet?

thanks, all.

The closest in overall frequency response in my opinion is the Cornwall! Despite the fact it is a bass reflex design.

If you are looking for a horn loaded speaker and don't mind no real low bass reponse then the La Scala or Belle will work. The bass these speakers do provide is the most realistic and punchy that you will ever hear though.

Possibly the LaScala - but for some, Cornwalls are the next best bet. It depends on your listening area and listening preferences. If Klipschorns are not possible, the Cornwall or LaScala will probably be your two best choices to choose from.

Of course, I have the Belle (the "pretty LaScala") for much the same reason - can't use the Klipschorns, and wanted the fully horn loaded sound in the 2 channel system - and liked the looks and shallower cabinet vs. the LaScala. I have Cornwalls too, and find them to be an excellent main speaker option. Each have their own advantages - and both are good for their own reasons.

If you have the room for them - I would probably go LaScala for 2 channel....but some smaller rooms accommodate Cornwalls better - and Cornwalls are more flexible in placement (mostly due to a more shallow cabinet) - easier to make them sound good in the room, especially if space is somewhat limited.

Yes i would recomend Scalas...you get the K-horn upper end with it.You didnt say what you got now though and what amp your using i would recomend an HK430 for all Heritage and if you got a smooth hard floor i would put Grippers on the bottom of the speakers.Rick

Now I have heresys purchased in 1982. I would love to get some cornwalls, but as they are discontinued, I kinda eliminated them from the running. My receiver has not yet been purchased - I have replaced my kenwood with a sherwood in route to a tube based amp. probably antique sound labs AQ1003DT.

Other than ebay (blah!) where could I look for cornwalls or quality used lascalas?

ps. thanks

Here and AudioGon are good starts, if you want new La Scala's get your pocketbook ready as retail is on the order of ~$4K.

I see that you are in New England, whereabouts? There are speakers that come available in this area quite often actually.

I would suggest the LaScalas with a good subwoofer dialed in at about 55 Hz. The results are the most "Klipschorn" like you can get with the having the "bighorn".

I am running a pair of LaScalas with the original DHAxovers and a good but moderately priced subwoofer. The results are very satisfying to say the least. With a custom center channel built with Heresy horns, the soundstage and timbre sparkle.

Currently have both Corns and Belles set-up and both with new BEC networks. Will be able to further evaluate and plan reporting my perceptions but at the outset, no doubt Corns have more bass and seem to have a "darker" more laid back sound. Not to say bad but not as bright as Belles. The bass seems just a bit unnatural on some recordings. On others, like small jazz combos, the bass is very nice, well defined. At very low listening levels the Corns have a fuller sound. The Belle bass is adequate for me, very real, tight, no bloat. In total a more acurate sound, precise and to the point. Right now, I favor the Belles, my significant other favors Corns. More to follow after longer listening sessions. Needless to say, I keeping both.

"The DHAOxer is NOT an original network, that network was designed by Forum member John Albright.

Original La Scala networks are A, AA, AL, AL-2, AL-3, and the current AL-4."

With all due respect Frzninvt, the DHAXover is an "original" for me (obviously not a Klipsch original) since I designed and built the first set and let John publish the wiring diagram for it on the forum (with due credits to my brother John and Al K. for their suggestions and advice during the design and build process).

The design and building was a lot of fun, but the listening was way the best part of the project.

DHA.

Rich meant to say he's keeping all three. Smile.

The posts above pretty much summarizes observations aired over the years. If you like the bass horn sound and can't fit in K-Horns, you've got no choice but the LS or Belle. They just don't go as low as the CW.

Generally the CW's are tops in bass. Let me add that the neo-Heritage of the Forte II and Chorus II are very respectable. I've got FII in a small room.

Since everyone has piled on supporting your fall back position, let me argue the other way.

The K-Horns could work. You might always wonder . . . "what if." It depends on your pocket book, willingness to move heavy objects, determination, and room geometry.

I think of New England homes as being sort of near Victorian; having rooms with little acoustic padding, oddball geometry, and no good corners. Maybe that is not totally correct in your case -- or it makes you worry to much. People paint the devil on the wall.

So do keep the K-Horns in mind. You can always tinker for a year and sell them for the same price knowing that you have given them a good try.

Gil

----------------

On 4/15/2005 9:10:40 PM William F. Gil McDermott wrote:

Rich meant to say he's keeping all three. Smile.

The posts above pretty much summarizes observations aired over the years. If you like the bass horn sound and can't fit in K-Horns, you've got no choice but the LS or Belle. They just don't go as low as the CW.

Generally the CW's are tops in bass. Let me add that the neo-Heritage of the Forte II and Chorus II are very respectable. I've got FII in a small room.

Since everyone has piled on supporting your fall back position, let me argue the other way.

The K-Horns could work. You might always wonder . . . "what if." It depends on your pocket book, willingness to move heavy objects, determination, and room geometry.

I think of New England homes as being sort of near Victorian; having rooms with little acoustic padding, oddball geometry, and no good corners. Maybe that is not totally correct in your case -- or it makes you worry to much. People paint the devil on the wall.

So do keep the K-Horns in mind. You can always tinker for a year and sell them for the same price knowing that you have given them a good try.

Gil

----------------

Oops! I stand corrected, thanks for the cover Gil.

Honestly I had to read your reply three times before I got it. Glad I got it or else I could get it.

Brother, please accept my humble apologies! Great work on the network! I have a pair in my '77 Khorns and love them. So much so that I am having Dean work me up a special one for my center La Scala and I am going to trade him the gorgeous Jensen PIO AA that I currently have in there. Cheers!