I want that high end audiophile look without spending the big bucks..

sputnik

I am so envious of the the gear that people show pictures of around here - high end turntables and tube amps an such. I want that sleek polished look of sophistication and savoir-faire in my livingroom too. I am currently satisfied, soundwise, with my NAD amps but they are pretty bland looking. They have no lighted dials, glowing tubes, oscillating needles, or any of that stuff - just dull gray boxes. I want to upgrade someday, but being fairly superficial, I thought why not just buy some cool looking (but cheap) piece of electronic gear to put in my stereo rack now and pretend it's part of my system. I'm looking for suggestions.

I found this thing and I think, if I took the hot dogs off, it would look pretty convincing. Any other ideas??

tubesteak.jpg

I found this 200 watt (L)amp but it's out of my price range.

"Nik Willmore presents The Tube Lamp. Nerdily conceived as a sly spoof of outrageously expensive vacuum tube audio amps, the result was a surprisingly haughty fashion statement and hit product. Standard tubular light bulbs are controlled by a current-limited dimmer circuit that ensures that the bulbs last a long time and wont burn fingers. Chrome controls include a knurled knob appropriated from a Fender Telecaster electric guitar which can light up the room or be dimmed down to create a mysterious mad scientistÕs night light.

Specifications: The box is Bakelite, the switch is chrome, the top is a mirror, and the knob has a dome. An internal mechanism aligns each filament straight forward. Max power is 200 watts. Retail $275."

tubelamp.jpg

----------------

On 4/17/2005 2:50:34 PM Audible Nectar wrote:

I wonder how ZZ Top's "Tube Steak Boogie" sounds through that top component......

----------------

I'm sure it would be an experience that you would always relish.