Any other drag race fans on here?

IAmtnbikr

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I know what you mean about the " lack of sound ". It is like an explosion goes off as the throttle is opened. Very violent!

Reading about the batten V-12 ( now defunct Batten Engines, out of Romulus, Mi ), they had a V-12 based on the Big Block Chevrolet archetecture. ( same bore spacing, deck height, connecting rods, crank journal sizes, etc. ) They developed their own 4 valve per cylinder heads for this monster, and in naturally aspirated trim ( Fuel injected ), it could go from idle to redline in 1/10 of a second.

My plans are to be walking around in the pits in Commerce three weeks from today. A buddy of mine owns a chemical company, so I'll have a high$$respirator with which to get veeerrry close to the motors. I can't wait to see/hear/smell/feel the sensation of "setting the clutch"

11.gif

Oh yeah, baby!!

Indianapolis Indiana has IRP here. It is an fantastic facility, and your right, hearing it and seeing it live just is an AMAZING thing to witness!

You can see a map below.

http://www.irponline.com/HOME/IRPFanGuide/facilitymap.asp

Add the Indy500, Formula One, and Nascar race here at the Indy 500 Facility, with lots of little dirt tracks were the "Racing Capitol" of the world.

Indianapolis Raceway Park

This historic racing facility had its beginnings as a dream on the part of 15 racing professionals and area businessmen. It is now the site of three world-famous race courses -- a 4,400-foot drag strip, a .686-mile oval and a 15-turn, 2.5-mile road course.

• 4 weeks later...

Well folks,

After years of going to local/small town drag races, I finally made it to a Top Fuel event: The Summit Nationals in Atlanta Dragway. I'll try and post some photos later.

I tried to experience the race from all ends of the track, but no matter where I was, it felt like getting punched in the chest and my eyeballs were about to shake out of the socket. I imagine that the feeling is similar to the "Mythbusters" episode where they were trying to reproduce the 'brown note'.

I had a full face respirator handy for when they fired up the motor in the pits... such a thing to behold.

Despite the heat there were some fairly fast times Fri/Sat. Unfortunately I didn't stay for Sunday's race as it was raining -- I just got word that they finished up at about 10pm. I was asleep long before that but DVR'ed the race. SO NO SPOILERS.

My wife says I still smell like gas.

9.gif

----------------

On 5/16/2005 4:21:30 PM nuclearay wrote:

My wife says I still smell like gas.

9.gif

----------------

Which kind of gas we talking about here? I hope it's not cuz of all the nachos with bean dip... 2.gif

So....you really don't want to know that.......won TF? LOL! I will only say this.....nice to see my pal Hot Rod Fuller's (was in 10th place in Top Fuel points going into the Atlanta race, even having missed two events as they are only running about 15 of them...) younger brother Tony win Super Street; the 10.90 class. I will not say who won any other stuff....although I did want the other guys to win in Top Fuel, Funny Car, and Pro Stock Bike.........

Throw me in there too I used to do a little Drag Racing myself...NHRA member 1975...quickest street car in my county since 1978 and I have the tickets to prove it! Stuff like speeding 31 in a 30 and 56 in a 55, loud pipes, tire noise, bumper height. Never DUI or Reckless Driving. Never got a ticket more than 2 miles outside the city limits even though I have always driven the same way no mater where I go.

"Well I didn't catch you this time, but I will" said the county Sheriff one night....20 years later he retired and never did. 3.gif

Quit Street racing in 1978 the day the Judge (who still sits on the bench today) told me if I was ever convicted of Drag Racing again he would send me to the state penitentiary for one year....haven't had so much as a parking ticket in over 23 years during which time I even drove a Semi-tractor trailer.

See www.SS427.com and www.FastSS.com

----------------

On 5/17/2005 8:57:31 AM ]

I am a huge F1 fan myself. I am looking forward to getting my RF-7 system going so I can crank that up. I can't wait for the day F1 goes high def though...

----------------

[/blockquote>

My Man!.....F1, the most technically advanced cars in the world. And that's a fact.

When your brake rotor (as in 1 rotor) cost $10,000, your engine rev's 19,000+ rpm and your car screams from 0 to 100mph and back down to 0 in under 4 sec., you know your driving a FORMULA ONE. The ultimate motor sport.

Formula One, Moto GP and NHRA. The only racing worth watching IMO. If you want to compete in any of the above, then you've got to have big cojones. The kind that clank when you walk.

And tomorrow is the Biggest F1 event of all, Monte Carlo....At 5:30am tomorrow morning, 6 cornwalls and 2 Khors will be at full F1 song. The only thing better is being there!!!

i live 9miles south of National Trail Raceway they are racing the big guys right now... 800ci-7k hp nitro cars wow, brings tears to my eyes, kinda like watching the shuttle take off. anyway at 9 mi away you can hear those all the way here. i used to get to watch from the tower as i had done work for the past owner. too bad he sold the place. i will be there tomorrow for the finals if the weather will cooperate.

The nitro stuff is actually 500" max, and they are pumping out close to 8K hp @ 9K rpm. The Pro Stockers are closer to real production looking cars and are also 500" max but on race gas, and crank out a little over 1350 hp with two carbs. A friend of mine even lives within walking distance of the track, down Refugee Road, which is the one they close off when racing since the runoff area crosses it! Unfortunately NTR is one of the poorer tracks for NHRA events, and nobody is especially fond of the place. And, to me the guys with the biggest nads are the sprint car drivers. Even after running drag stuff over 200 mph in the quarter mile and going the first 60' in one second flat, you would NEVER get me into a sprint car, even by myself on the track, lol. A pal who drag races drove one for a while until the steering broke going into a corner at Knoxville and he went straight into the wall. The whites of his eyes were blood red, and he had some nice bruises from the shoulder harness straps. That was it for damage, other than an injured wallet too.

Just had the Powerama Show here in Edmonton, Alberta,Canada and my racing ideal was here, what a trip and a half in person, Mr. John Force...6.gif

I got 10 pieces of diecast(1/24th), my racing jacket, T-Shirts, all autographed by The Legend with pics.

As we say in the Great White North, the Wayne Gretzky of drag racing...A True Racing Legend...10.gif

The Man...Mr. John Force...2.gif

Actually both NHRA and IHRA only allow 500" motors in Top Fuel and Funny Car in the supercharged configurations. IHRA has done some experimenting, allowing non-blown nitro motors using nitrous oxide as well. The Pro Stock class in IHRA is vastly different than NHRA, with mountain motors allowed. We have a local shop that has done engine maintanence on Ed Mahacek's huge Sonny Leonard IHRA bullet. Those 800" monsters are HUGE! When I ran the Midwest Funny Car Association in the mid-late 90's we competed on an index as most tracks did not want to pay the extra premium for their insurance to allow us to run flat out. I still ran into the 6's @ 200+ with just a tiny little Rodeck-blocked 388" small block Chevy and a Powerglide trans I built. We only ran nozzles for the injection in the blower hat, a small 80A pump, 32* of timing, shifted at 6500, and a 3.70 gear to hold down the numbers, lol. All we did to turn up the wick was use a bigger blower, more timing and fuel, and a higher shift point. I STILL miss the fun of driving that car......nothing quite like a short wheelbase supercharged car! You can see a photo of it on the homepage of my site, http://www.oldanimotorsports.20megsfree.com along with some other cars I have raced on the 'photos' page. Probably the most challenging car was when I ran my dragster in Comp Eliminator as an A/Dragster. We had a bit of a weight break for using the auto trans, but had nowhere to take the extra 65 pounds of weight we were over the class minimum at out of the car. I ran about .4 under the class index but there was a ton of potential left in that combination. We pulled the plug on Comp and went back to my own small block running the 8.90 Super Comp class after the guy who owned the motor proved to be unbearable to have as a partner and we pulled his motor and sent him packing in a hurry. When I raced, I wanted to have FUN! And win. Since getting married and having our little one who turns 6 in a few weeks, my driving has been put on hold, but I still keep in touch with lots of friends across the country who race. I also am almost overwhelmed with business building race auto trannies. I am the largest volume dealer for BTE/Memphis Performance Warehouse, yet just do them nights/weekends! When I took on their product line it blew them away when they saw how much I do, lol. Sometimes it makes it hard to spend quality time.......you know, quality time listening to my Klipsch stuff!!!9.gif At least I moved the old SB-2's out to the shop with a garage-sale Pioneer receiver.2.gif