Dire Straits "Brothers in Arms" SACD multichannel

Parrot

Allan -

I sort of agree with you about later Dire Straights albums, though I'm not quite as negative...

But, if you'd like to hear what might have been, check out their first album, self titled Dire Straights, released in October, 1978. They were really something special. The song "Sultans of Swing" got quite a bit of airplay, you might recognize it. Sound bite available here.

Lyrics:

You get a shiver in the dark,

it's been raining in the park, but meantime

South of the river you stop and you hold everything.

A band is blowing Dixie double four time -

You feel all right when you hear that music ring.

You step inside but you don't see too many faces

coming in out of the rain to hear the jazz go down.

Too much competition too many other places

But not too many horns can make that sound

way on downsouth, way on downsouth London town.

You check out Guitar George he knows all the chords

Mind he's strictly rhythm he doesn't want to make it cry or sing.

And an old guitar is all he can afford

When he gets up under the lights to play his thing.

And Harry doesn't mind if he doesn't make the scene,

He's got a daytime job he's doing alright.

He can play honky tonk just like anything

Saving it up for Friday night

With the Sultans with - the Sultans of Swing.

And a crowd of young boys they're fooling around in the corner

Drunk and dressed in their best brown baggies and their platform soles.

They don't give a damn about any trumpet playing band

It ain't what they call rock and roll.

And the Sultans played Creole...

And then the man he steps right up to the microphone

And says at last, just as the time bell rings,

"Thank you goodnight now it's time to go home,"

and he makes it fast with one more thing,

"We are the Sultans of Swing."

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 5/31/2005 2:47:16 PM wheelman wrote:

Allan or Jimmy have you guys heard their self titled album Dire Straits? The guitar work in that is great. Lyrics are not to shabby either. The plain old redbook cd sounds incredible on heresys'.

----------------

Yes, I remember it well, I own it as a matter of fact. I'm not knockin' the musicianship, just the played tired signature sound of a copy of a copy of a copy.....of the original and at the time fresh musical idea. Just too many hooks for me.

----------------

On 5/31/2005 2:45:48 PM Parrot wrote:

----------------

On 5/31/2005 2:36:16 PM Jimmy James wrote:

Thanks again for your honesty Allan Songer!

----------------

Are you implying that anyone who likes the album is a liar?

liar.gif

----------------

Man oh man! You sure do put a weird twist on the things that people say. Wasn't implying that at all.

----------------

On 5/31/2005 3:01:13 PM Jimmy James wrote:

Man oh man! You sure do put a weird twist on the things that people say. Wasn't implying that at all.

----------------

Thanks for the clarification. I can go only on the words someone uses to express himself, and when someone is careless with his words, miscommunication can result.

If you had simply thanked Allan for expressing his opinion, that would have been dandy. But you thanked him for his "honesty," which logically means that the other posters were not being honest. You appear to think that someone is being honest when he expresses the same opinion that you do, whereas I don't see how honesty has anything to do with whether someone likes a record or not. Why would someone lie about liking a Dire Straits record? Wouldn't that be kinda silly?

I worked with Dire Straits and have a few memories...... the whole band was very nice to me. I did an American tour with them. They had a (at the time) high tech all out awesome sound system that could just about blow you though a wall if weren't careful. Lots of excess power and volume if it was needed. Like I said, great memories!

----------------

On 5/31/2005 3:11:20 PM Parrot wrote:

----------------

On 5/31/2005 3:01:13 PM Jimmy James wrote:

----------------

Thanks for the clarification. I can go only on the words someone uses to express himself, and when someone is careless with his words, miscommunication can result.

If you had simply thanked Allan for expressing his opinion, that would have been dandy. But you thanked him for his "honesty," which logically means that the other posters were not being honest. You appear to think that someone is being honest when he expresses the same opinion that you do, whereas I don't see how honesty has anything to do with whether someone likes a record or not. Why would someone lie about liking a Dire Straits record? Wouldn't that be kinda silly?

----------------

I usually will ignore people that obviously are trying to start something, but I was also raised to not walk away when someone presses me or says things about me that aren't true. I don't owe you any explanation or apology for anything I say, but since this is a public place we are speaking in I will explain my comments to the others here, now that you've misquoted me and made such a big deal out of nothing.

I was thanking Allan for being honest in saying in a couple of ways, that Dire Staits' sure as hell ain't the Second Coming the way some folks make them out to be. At least that's what I took from his comments, if I am wrong, Allan then I extend to you my sincere regrets for misquoting you. I was thanking him for not being a fad worshiper

----------------

On 5/31/2005 3:24:57 PM Jimmy James wrote:

I usually will ignore people that obviously are trying to start something, but I was also raised to not walk away when someone presses me or says things about me that aren't true. I don't owe you any explanation or apology for anything I say, but since this is a public place we are speaking in I will explain my comments to the others here, now that you've misquoted me and made such a big deal out of nothing.

----------------

And I am sure your parents are very proud of your bravery. Where exactly did I misquote you? The only quote I see is around the word "honesty." If you scroll up the page, you'll see that was the exact word you used.

I fail to see, though, where anyone said Dire Straits was comparable to the Second Coming. Perhaps you are the one who wants to say that people said something that they didn't say?

----------------

On 5/31/2005 3:22:52 PM Spkrdctr wrote:

I worked with Dire Straits and have a few memories...... the whole band was very nice to me. I did an American tour with them. They had a (at the time) high tech all out awesome sound system that could just about blow you though a wall if weren't careful. Lots of excess power and volume if it was needed. Like I said, great memories!

----------------

Cool! Tell us more. What year? What did you do?

----------------

On 5/31/2005 3:43:16 PM Parrot wrote:

----------------

----------------

And I am sure your parents are very proud of your bravery. Where exactly did I misquote you? The only quote I see is around the word "honesty." If you scroll up the page, you'll see that was the exact word you used.

I fail to see, though, where anyone said Dire Straits was comparable to the Second Coming. Perhaps you are the one who wants to say that people said something that they didn't say?

----------------

There you go again! What makes you think that I was raised by my parents, or that I even have any to make proud? I don't know what your game is, but it's pretty sad.

IMO Dire Straits was a one shot wonder. Their first album was so good and so beautifully produced that any other effort sank in it's shadow. I didn't come of age during Dire Straits heyday, so my opinion would naturally differ from those who did.

It's like Steely Dan, they made beautifully produced music, that in my house is played very infrequently. I had friends ten years younger than myself who felt that Steely Dan defined their generation.

Believe it or not, there are even people who don't like the Greatful Dead or Jefferson Airplane!!!!!!!6.gif

Rick

I've always liked "Money For Nothing"....a humorous snapshot of what many of us thought about MTV. This song takes some pretty good "rips" on MTV.....much misunderstood (as was Bruce Springsteen's "Born in the U.S.A"). It's amazing how often both of these were used to promote, when the songs were intended to do exactly the opposite.

I do agree with the general comments about "Brothers in Arms", especially when compared with their earlier catalogue. Wanna know what the difference is? Pick Withers (drummer), that's who. Listen to "Sultans of Swing" or "Down to the Waterline" (with), then listen to "Money for Nothing" (different drummer). "Sultans" and "Waterline" have GROOVE in the percussion, "MFN" has a battering ram. That does get monotonous and irritating after a while. The entire "Brothers in Arms" live show had this problem...the drummer had one volume only, and that was LOUD.

Losing Pick Withers was a step down for Dire Straits.

----------------

On 5/31/2005 2:21:04 PM Allan Songer wrote:

Why do so many people love this record? I'd really like to hear from you guys--what, exactly am I not getting here?

----------------

Good question you ask, Alan. And a difficult answer, when I think about it. This record has been so much part of my contemporary 'rock education', that to criticise it would make me feel like an iconoclast.

I saw Dire Straits live when 'Brothers in Arms' was huge. I loved the concert and I bought the album afterwards.

I know the lyrics might seem simplistic, and the melodies don't really grab you like other ear candy, but it's Knoppler's interpretation somehow that delivers the knockout blow. If anyone else tried to interpret the music, it would suck. Knoppler's take on the whole thing is pretty laid back. He doesn't take himself seriously. I like the whole package.

I usually will ignore people that obviously are trying to start something, but I was also raised to not walk away when someone presses me or says things about me that aren't true.

On 5/31/2005 4:08:46 PM Jimmy James wrote:

There you go again! What makes you think that I was raised by my parents, or that I even have any to make proud? I don't know what your game is, but it's pretty sad.

JJ,

Lighten up. I don't think it is unreasonable to assume that you have parents or that they might be proud of you. Who is obviously trying to start something?

I was a freshman in college when that Dire Straights album with "Sultans of Swing" came out. It made a lot of Dire Straights fans, including me. I saw them on the Brothers in Arms tour, and although the acoustics in Reunion Area sucked big time, they put on a good concert. They had a unique sound and while perhaps not a masterpiece, MFN is a fun tune and I still like to crank it up once in a while.

----------------

On 5/31/2005 1:56:47 PM IndyKlipschFan wrote:

My CD was pressed in the UK, the songs in some cases had better and longer intros, as well as quality wise was well over the USA pressings...

One of my favorite test cd's as well..

Now I will have to get this one too...

The "I want my MTV" a LOT longer on the UK pressing..Also longer sax solos as well. So Cool!!

Roger

----------------

You'll be able to throw out any and all other versions. This is it!

Here is a post from Michael Bishop of Telarc:

Mixing: "Brothers in Arms"

My buddy Chuck Ainlay spent about three months doing the surround mix on this at Mark Knopfler's surround room in London. Chuck has been working with Mark on all his projects for quite some time.

Anyone that knows Chuck's surround mixing work knows he will bring "BIA" to a whole new level of listening experience. Chuck described Mark's room, equipped with a full surround ATC scm-300 monitor system, as the best surround room he ever worked in. He was thrilled with the results he was getting from the masters and the system.

To those that think mixing from a 44.1 16-bit source will not yield any advantages over the original, consider this: D/A technology and quality has come a L-O-N-G way since "BIA" was originally produced. Far more resolution is possible now from the source than what the original D/As were capable of back then. Additionally, the new surround mix was performed in the analog domain - not through a 44.1 digital mixer! Chuck would have made full use of every great analog and/or digital tool at his disposal during the surround mix.

I, for one, will be anxiously awaiting MY copy of "Brothers in Arms," which I'm certain I'll use as a surround playback reference source.

Best Regards,

Michael Bishop

Recording Engineer

----------------

On 5/31/2005 3:45:44 PM Parrot wrote:

----------------

On 5/31/2005 3:22:52 PM Spkrdctr wrote:

----------------

Cool! Tell us more. What year? What did you do?

----------------

Actually, I was a bodyguard for the band. They were very nice. I wore earplugs each night as I was behind the speakers at each concert. This was around 1980. Full analog system all mega buck though. Some of the venues had to have electricians come in and drop in more power for the house! It was a lot of fun. Everything was overkill, and those guys all liked it. Remember we were all young and more was always better!

I was quite a fan of Dire straits during the 80's. As with many things I think you had to hear them during their era in order to understand the effect they had on the - god dare I say it - music scene (sorry).

They were different - didnt fit into any set categories - and had a fan base varying in age from 10 to 70. There was also a lot of talent there - I am surprised no-one has mentioned "Private Investigations" - the opening 3 minutes of instrumental music incorporates so much in terms of diversity and range it was THE test pressing for me on systems for about 3 years.

I have no idea how the CD from the US compares to the one from the UK - mine is an original bought in about 85 - but at the time it was so far ahead of anything else on the format, quality-wise it just wasn't funny. A lot of CD players got sold in the UK on the back of that album's sound quality.

Interestingly I have an admittedly poor copy on vinyl (Greek pressing). It is one of the very few albums I own where the CD sounds better than the vinyl - but only on a decent CD player (for example the unison unico Tony currently runs). On my Pioneer 575 the vinyl is still better of course.

It has been a while since I listened to the album - I guess its time has past - but I did love it for quite a while.