Seriously...Will Khorns & Fortes fit in a 2004 Town&Country?

TH&B is going on a road trip to pick up a pair of Khorns and a pair of Fortes in a Chrysler T&C van. He will have a passenger with him.

The maximum cargo capacity of the van: 168 cu. ft.

Khorn dimensions: 52" x 31.25" x 28.5" (they come apart, but still take the same amount of space)

Forte dimensions: 35.4" x 16.5" x 12"

Can someone please do the math to determine if these will fit?

Thanks, Rick.

Rick -

The problem is that the math is meaningless in this situation. The inside of vehicles like this one is not

a perfect "cargo box" that can be readily calculated. It contains many rounded corners and curved or

sloped areas, as well as pockets adjacent to the wheel wells. These areas can be readily filled with

cargo such as marbles to facilitate the manufacturers 168ft3 calculation, but are often useless for

carrying real-world cargo.

You really need to get into the van with a tape measure and figure it out manually.

Dave

Rick,

There's more to it than just the cubic feet, though -- the shape of the cubic feet and the shapes filling the cubic feet make all the difference. I don't think it's safe to assume that the T&C's volume is a simple rectangle -- that would be too easy.

If the Khorns make a simple triangle then two of them make a simple rectangle, but can they realistically be transported that way? Or do you have two triangles lying on the floor with a lot of air above them and then no supporting structure for carrying the Fortes? See what I mean?

It just about seems worthwhile to make mockups out of cardboard or styrofoam sheet insulation or something so as to do a dry run. Remember, in theory practice and theory are the same, but in practice they are not.

Which model of T&C? Don't the seats on the newer ones fold down all the way?

How much room front to back is clear space? We used to have one, but downsized a couple of years ago. Remove the seats in the rear.

I was thinking that you take the tops off the Horns, and you can place them on their fronts, going across the car. That makes just over 5 feet front to back.

The fortes could go on their sides across the width, and stacked. One more foot. I think the tops will fit in somewhere. Maybe the Fortes along each side of the car next to the horns bass bins and the tops in the back.

Plus plenty of packing material/soft things to go around them.

Then there's the luggage.

Marvel

Another factor is padding. That will take up space.

To answer Marvel, I've seen the new ones in the commercials with the stow and go seats that fit flush to the floor.

Securing in addition to padding will take up a little extra room.

Will there be a passenger?

----------------

Plus plenty of packing material/soft things to go around them.

----------------

Agree. They'll fit. As long as you have the longer wheelbase T&C (LX or above) you'll be okay. It'll take some planning and creativity, but I see no problem with them fitting. Forte's aren't all that big.

I'd place the top horn sections of the Klipschorns all the way up behind the front seats on their faces.

Next, I'd place the bass bins laterally so that their length is running parallel to the width of the van. In other words, "width-wise" (opposite of length-wise?). Tilt the bass bins onto their backs so that the finished wood portion is tilted up. It'll take up less floor space and protect the veneer.

Finally, place the Fortes all the way at the rear of the van. They can probably be placed next to eachother and standing up.

Let's do the math (Moving front to back as the width of the van should not be an issue in this configuration):

K-horn tops - ~20"

Bass Bins - ~ 54"

Fortes - ~15"

-------------------

Total Length ~ 89 inches.

This means that you need about 7.5 feet from front to back. If memory serves correctly, you have a little under 8 feet to work with. Is this correct?

Rather than showing cubic feet, can you tell us the length, width and height. I'm guessing that it's about 7.5' x 4' x 3'.

Not sure if this will help or not. I have a Yukon XL (Like a Suburban, but GMC not Chevy) Other then the Ford Excursion it is about the biggest SUV out there (go ahead and rag on me about the gas mileage - get tons of utiltiy out of the U in suv). I easily got a pair of Khorns and a pair of Heresy in with the gate closed and all windows up. Only two passengers in the front. The middle seats were folded down and the 3rd row seat was removed. I honesty think I could have gotten another pair of Heresies in there. In my mind 4 heresies would more then equal 2 fortes.

The part I don't know is how close a Yukon XL is to a minivan in the shape/configuration of the cargo area. In the same configuration (seats down and out) I can carry 4X8 sheets of plywood or drywall in it with the gate fully closed and nothing sticking out. Can you do this in the van? This might tell you if they are close in capacity. If I want to put something longer then 8 feet like a 10' 2X4 I have to put it between the two front bucket seats.

Try driving around in the minivan till you see a Yukon XL or Suburban in a parking lot then pull up next to it and see what you think.

My guess is they will fit. However, I am not the one making the drive 9.gif2.gif

Good Luck, let us know how the drive was and how the speakers sound.

Just checked GMC site Yukon XL has 131.6 cu ft cargo space. Like the others said it is not just the capacity...that would only work nicely if you were transporting 131.6 Cu FT of marbles. Watch the quick stops when you are doing that as the marbles will roll forward and spill your beer while you are driving.

----------------

On 4/28/2005 3:56:09 PM jacksonbart wrote:

Are you guys going this weekend? Have a good trip, there should be some fund places to stop on the way. Be safe.

----------------

Thanks for all the answers, guys.

Here's the plan. THB is in Raleigh NC. and plans to drive 230 miles to Blacksburgh, Va. to get the Khorns. Then he'll drive another 46 miles to meet me at the Bluestone Lake dam, on the New River near Hinton, W.Va. to get the Fortes.

It's about 300 miles round trip for me and 550 miles for THB. I just don't want to go through all that and learn the speakers won't fit in his van.15.gif

Thanks again guys, Rick.