Sunfire HT Reciever

Spkrdctr

It looks pretty sweet to me. The WAF must be high being only one unit taking up space. I have started lusting after sunfire pre/pro lately on the used market but maybe this is a good compromise. I especially like the running warm vs. hot of these. What is the msrp or expected market price?

Minn, I realized that, thus my asking him which model(s) Ult. Rec., TGIII, TGIV, etc. Was not sure if he knew the difference. Guess I should have been clearer. In talking to my dealer, my understanding is they share a lot of the same design ideas/components along with simple design and interface. It is the clean looks, simple design and highly intuitiveness (is that a word?) that I really like about my TGIV in addition to the killer sound.

If it is within your budget going with separates (amp(s) and pre/pro) you will be doing your self a favor in the long run. I still have the same Carver amp from 1992 but have changed pre/pro 3 times since then. On the other hand if space is at a premium you can't go wrong with a Sunfire receiver IMHO. Give it a listen and let your ears tell you.

Good Luck, Rich

The Sunfire Ultimate Receiver II is out now and has Dolby Prologic IIx. There was an independent test in S&V in February, 2003 of the prior model that rated the Ultimate Receiver I as putting out about 183 watts per channel into 5 channels at 8 ohms. It was tested with low impedances and put out so much power that the folks testing it got nervous about all the power.

Price is avaialbe on the OneCall.com site. Specs are available on the sunfire.com site.

I like Bob Carver's designs, but it is very hard to designe a good processor section due to rapid changes in surround formats.

Bill

----------------

On 5/1/2005 11:20:54 AM rplace wrote:

Was not sure if he knew the difference.

----------------

Hmmm....for looking at my name and saying the above statement, you may be visited by the speaker gremlin!

You have jinxed your amps too!

Thanks for all the info guys. Seems like that will be my next reciever. Now I have to figure out how to justify it........ 9.gif

----------------

Hmmm....for looking at my name and saying the above statement, you may be visited by the speaker gremlin!

You have jinxed your amps too!

----------------

Sorry, Doc, did not check the name...my bad. Please call off the gremlins. Have seen lots of people refer to an amp, preamp, tuner, preamp/tuner, integrated amp, etc as a "receiver"since Sunfire only has one receiver in its lineup I guess I should have inferred that. At any rate you cant go wrong with Sunfire (or Carver) in my mind. Get out the checkbook.

About $4000 for the TGIV pre/pro. Looks like for another grand you get 7 (or is it 5) channels of power all wrapped up into one cool package. I like my SF equipment so much I consider it a deal at twice the price. There was a guy here late last week (Arthurs)

http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=64782

selling his 5 channel SF amp. Grab that and the TGIV and dont look back. The initial sting of several K is quickly soothed over by your ears and years of enjoyment.

It's a TRUE INVESTMENT that you plan on having around for awhile, thats why you invest the coin. I have a 01 Marantz SR18EX A\V Receiver that I plan on using for a long time, then MAYBE hook my amps back up if I need to(3 Marantz MA700 monoblocks for f&c). Running Khorns, Hersey II's, KLF-C7, and Velodyne FSR-18 subwoofer...was it worth the money and investment for my A\V Receiver, most definitely, it's a beast....10.gif

I'd work the price down if you are able to work it for yourself....2.gif

At $5000 for the Sunfire Ultimate Receiver II, separates with a Sunfire amp, either new or used, would be an alternative. The Ultimate Receiver II in addition to being too expensive has too much noise.

I have Sunfire amps, but would not have their processor or receiver.

Bill

----------------

On 5/4/2005 10:00:31 PM MrMcGoo wrote:

At $5000 for the Sunfire Ultimate Receiver II, separates with a Sunfire amp, either new or used, would be an alternative. The Ultimate Receiver II in addition to being too expensive has too much noise.

I have Sunfire amps, but would not have their processor or receiver.

Bill

----------------

Right with you there. Too many options in separates for $5K that would easily outperform that receiver.

I'm with the $5k will get you more crowd.I have never had a bad Carver but pre/pro/avrs unlike amps will decrease in value very quickly.If you pay 5k its gonna be worth $2500 very soon,too much depreciation and fewer upgrade options for the future.

• 2 months later...

I see the original post asks for nay's as well as yay's. I for one wouldn't use a carver in my main system. Great for elsewhere if I am after name recognition. I have owned about 1/2 doz of his amps, used a couple of his pre's. The amps will drive nails, no doubt, but I have yet to have one that did'nt give me a problem. I believe there is much better bang for the buck out there.