What speaker cables for Klipsch??Kimber, Audioquest...ect?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also if there is no differance in cables why would klipsch spend the money on using Monster cable to wire its Referance series speakers. I seriously doubt a big company like Klipsch would waste money on wire that doesnt improve the sound. Also some people have better hearing than others so some will here minor changes more than others. Im not saying the expensive cables will definitly sound better but for sure differant cables sound differant and that is why some will sound better than others to some people. I for one have heard differances in my system with differant cables, i dont understand why people have to argue about this. If I can hear the differance why must people argue that I dont, how can they possibly know what I hear?? there is no need to argue about it everyone hears differantly and thats all you have to say.

One other thing, for those of you who say that cables color the sound, who cares if it sound good?? Im not one of those people who believes you have to have a ruler flat freq responce to have good sound, it may look great on paper doesnt mean it will sound good, all amps, sources and speakers are colored there is no such thing as a perfectly nuetral component. So instead of worrying about colorations just listen to what sounds good, I thinmk alot of people lose thae idea of just enjoying the music which is why most of us are in this hobby, although I guess there are some who just like to buy the latest and greatest and most expensive just to feel good about themselves. I am not rich by any means and if I listened to zip cord and it sounded good by all means I would use it. Another thing is that if your spending $2500 on speakers and $2000 on an amp and $1500 on a cd player why would you buy $5 cables to hook it up? If nothing else the higher end cables use better quality copper or silver and better terminations, Im not saying to go out and spnd $5000 on a set of cables but to spend $50 for an interconnect or $200 on a speaker cable doesnt seem to be that crazy in a $5000 system. Anyone else agree?

Do you remeber the guys who said that all amps and cd player sounded the same. I guess you guys who believe cables all sound the same also believe this? I kinda wish this was the case so i could just go buy a $50 cd player and $200 reciever and get great sound, but we all know this isnt gonna happen. So to each thier own I was just asjking for advice an speaker cables that work well with Klispch wasnt looking to start an arguement. Why do people insist on argueing instead of just giving good advice.

You've walked into a snake pit on this one. It's just like any other forum -- people are just split up over the issue. Sometimes I hear differences, sometimes I don't. Sometimes I think because I think I hear a difference I do, and sometimes I think the opposite. If there is a difference, it's subtle to me. There are just better and less expensive ways of tuning a system. At any rate, I think a good cable for horns is the Supra stuff Madisound is selling: http://www.madisound.com/supra.html

has anyone done double blind A/B/X testing on swapping caps, coils and resisitors in crossovers? how about in PS? anywhere in the signal path?

hmmm, we are quick to condemn people for trusting their ears in regards to wire but many of the detractors are the same people spending bucks on caps and resistors without any proof of improvments other than their ears...

if swapping caps, coils and resistors in a crossover can have an audible effect on the resultant sound so can a wire. IMHO of course. tony

Walk away from your stereo for a couple weeks. No listening at all. It'll sound totally different than you remembered. It my case, it always sounds better. I find myself questioning this and that after continual, daily listening. Take a break once in awhile. 1.gif

----------------

On 5/12/2005 12:53:36 PM imperfectcircle25 wrote:

Another thing is that if your spending $2500 on speakers and $2000 on an amp and $1500 on a cd player why would you buy $5 cables to hook it up? If nothing else the higher end cables use better quality copper or silver and better terminations, Im not saying to go out and spnd $5000 on a set of cables but to spend $50 for an interconnect or $200 on a speaker cable doesnt seem to be that crazy in a $5000 system. Anyone else agree?

----------------

Your argument as to cost of wire is similar to what a roommate in the Army once said. He was a Blue blood snob from a very rich family. When I asked him as to why he had so many credit cards, as one would do everything, his answer was

You wouldnt charge a fine meal on the same credit card that you bought fertilizer on would you?

It is all in the mindset of the person. If you feel you need to spend big bucks on wire, go right ahead with my blessing. I know wire is wire and those $200/foot cables dont sound any better than my $1.25/foot cables. Both use fine stranded, high-grade copper, are very flexible and carry the signal the same.

As to the question of why Klipsch uses Monster cable. People expect it. This is the same reason they put multiple binding posts on the back for bi wiring. EVERYONE KNOWS that if you TRULY are high quality you bi-wire (amp) your speakers and dont use just any ol wire. In other words, market pressure.

BTW, I have some Ocean beach front property in New Mexico for sale, as it is so rare there; I need to get $100,000,000 per city lot! Dont ask for a discount, my momma didnt raise no fools!

My arguement is just that your compnents including your cables should match the rest of your system in quality. There is no use argueing with you if you cant hear a differance thats fine with me. I never said anything abiut $200/ft cables either. Was considering something more along the lines of maybe $25 a foot or less. System matching is very important and cables are part of it. Its the same idea as not using a $50 dvd player and a $200 reciever that you buy at Circuit City with a good quality spekaer like the RF-7 or something similar. Why should cables be any differant?? All I know is that I can hear the differance and thats all that counts, and I am by no means rich so I wouldnt waste money when its not needed, if you look at my system you will see that is on the budget end of the spectrum, only reason I even have expensive cables right now is cuz i got them for free, Ive actually never spend a penny on a cable. Good to have friends with money who are into hifi:)

Another thing is that inductance and capticance(i know thats spelled wrong sorry) both have alot to do with how an amplifier reacts with the speaker and differane cables have differant ratios of inductance to capcitance which will effect the sound. For example amps like Naim and Exposure that do not use Zobels on thier outputs are very sensitive to high inductance cables which is why they used the "spaced cables". try using a high inductance wire on your Naim amp it wont sound right.

"System matching is very important and cables are part of it."

Amazing that the concept of "quality" speaker wires (I can't say cables with a straight face) escaped Olson, Hilliard, Lansing, Wente, Voight and all those other slugs. To think that they could develop the basic concepts of loudspeakers, amplifiers and microphones and miss something as simple as wires. And with all the resources of Western Electric, RCA and MGM behind them no less.

It went right by the second-generation guys like Klipsch, Bozak and Walker too. Bunch of dolts, eh?

----------------

On 5/12/2005 1:18:46 PM jpm wrote:

Walk away from your stereo for a couple weeks. No listening at all. It'll sound totally different than you remembered. It my case, it always sounds better. I find myself questioning this and that after continual, daily listening. Take a break once in awhile.
1.gif
----------------

Very good advise! I love when I tear my system down for a few days and go to a audio get together or show. It usually takes me 3 or 4 days to get things back together but when I do it always puts a huge smile on my face. In a few weeks I'll be off on vacation for a week with no music when I get back I'll be like a kid in a candy store.

Craig

----------------

On 5/12/2005 8:10:58 AM Griffinator wrote:

----------------

On 5/12/2005 12:33:37 AM meuge wrote:

But double-blind tests are the scourge of wire-obsessed audiophiles. This argument gets you banned on other forums. Sometimes I find these people as stubborn as some of the religious fanatics. When presented with evidence that contradicts their beliefs, they stick their fingers in their ears and go: "lalalala".

----------------

Not arguing the point (I've renounced my wire-shopping ways) but the double-blind A/B/X test, if improperly administered, is the bane of all audio research. If the program material isn't changed after each A/B/X cycle, listener fatigue will set in, and the results will denegrate into what appears to be guesswork on any subtle differences in signal.

Using best of 20 guess cycles with the same program material (as they did at Klipsch HQ) is going to yield a high failure rate. There's no avoiding it.

----------------

Ahh that is just a excuse because you failed so horribly 2.gif